Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beach Boys

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Beach Boys

tk is wright. what do you give them???
    the whole idea is a slap in the face.
    He just opens his mouthe for publicity that mike love.

tt

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Wow. What gives with this guy.
    How can you fire the guy who is the beach boys?

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

It all feels so dirty. He basically used Brian, Al and David to make a buck and now that he's got enough for now the hell with them. There are no Beach Boys without Brian and Al.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

I think he is really insulting all the Beach Boys fans out there!

Out on the Border

Default Learn Even More About The Beach Boys History Through Mike Love’s Latest Book

Frontman Mike Love of The Beach Boys has allowed fans of The Beach Boys to learn even more about the band and the bands history of over fifty years with his latest book Good Vibrations: My Life As A Beach Boys.

In his book, Love talks about how his family wound up in Southern California living on a beach in a tent, as well as the story of the relationship with the Wilson cousins – and what it was like growing up. Love’s book also dives into the unique American story of The Beach Boys, from their California roots to their international fame. Being the only band member to be part of this history each and every step, Love takes readers through the various ups and downs of the band’s history as well as “behind the scenes” stories of the band and the stories behind some of their most popular songs. Listen to an excerpt of one of the chapters of his book here.
    The book is also available in a holiday bundle which includes a hardcover book, tshirt, and Christmas CD; perfect for Beach Boys fans this holiday season and now at a reduced price than before which can be found here.

What devoted Beach Boys fan wouldn’t want to know more about one of their favorite bands? You can find the book at Penguin Random House Books online (Hardcover, AudioBook or eBook), Amazon (Kindle, Hardcover or Paperback Book ), Walmart (Hardcover Book) or Barnes & Noble (Hardcover Book).

Mike has also decided to surprise fans with a song that is perfect for this Holiday season! He is giving his song, “You’ll Never Be Alone On Christmas Day” away FOR FREE over on Noisetrade.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I'm not responding to the spam/whatever-you-call-it promoting Mike Love's book. However, I did read said book and enjoyed it. It was immediately after I read Brian's autobiography. The two cousins are complimentary, respectful and occasionally loving towards each other, as friends and colleagues with a lifelong and incredibly complex relationship.

Mike's explanation about the abrupt end of the 50th year reunion makes a lot of sense. That doesn't mean I think it was Brian's "fault." As Mike argues convincingly, there are people in Brian's life who control him and make decisions for him. For reasons of their own, they often create drama and conflict in Brian's business and career affairs. Perhaps worst of all, they convince Brian that his family isn't really for him and doesn't have his best interest at heart. Even Carl Wilson said this years ago. The difference is that Mike Love names names, whereas usually Beach Boys insiders will only hint at the controllers around Brian.

It's just a shame that a vulnerable man - with a steady stream of songwriting royalties - inevitably attracts sharks who take advantage.

I've never been a huge Beach Boys fan because of all the Chuck Berry ripoffs in the first era of the band, the surfing songs, etc. I really didn't find creativity.

To me where they really got creative was Pet Sounds, and that is Brian Wilson. There is a huge difference between a song like God Only Knows and Surfin' USA.

I recently watched Love & Mercy.

Brian was and is a troubled man. Schizophrenia or the milder form (schizoaffective/schizophreniform disorder) is nothing to take lightly. Therapy does very little when it comes to psychotic disorders like Schizophrenia. They don't respond to talk therapy the way a depressed or anxious/OCD person would. You can't make hallucinations go away by telling them to get lost. Someone like John Nash was able to ignore them long enough to not notice them along with medication and insulin shock therapy, but that's a rare example of self-control.

But the thing that GOT me is that I couldn't get over how inappropriate Dr. Eugene Landy was...OMG. I thought it was dramatized for film, but I did the digging and I was shocked. So unprofessional, with lots of transference and countertransference going on (to use some therapist's terms). There is a video of him talking to a interviewer with Brian and Brian is basically in his lap and they have their arms around each other. In pictures, you'd think they were partners.

Landy admitted his brand of therapy was unorthodox, but it was ultimately unethical and hence Melinda Ledbetter and others getting him out of the picture. He made a killing off of Brian financially and the band and totally was in it for the money. I think that's a case of the psychologist should be the patient, lol. He clearly had issues and I think that's why his license was pulled. And then he buddied up to a psychiatrist and had Brian medicated per his request on order.

Looking back, Brian probably did need antipsychotic medication, but I think Landy used it as a weapon. If Brian wouldn't comply with Landy or disagree, he'd be medicated. I highly recommend watching the YouTube videos about Landy. There was a Beach Boys BAND meeting where Brian spoke against Landy, Landy called a break, forced Brian to take pills, and returned to the meeting with his eyes rolled back in his head from the major tranquilizers he was administered by EL.

As far as Melinda, I have mixed feelings. I think she was a great person to come into his life and remove him from bad people like Landy, but sometimes I wonder if she isn't a bit controlling over his affairs, and that's what Mike Love is talking about. I don't think I'd want my life partner to be my manager if I was famous. That's just asking for trouble. It's like a Yoko Ono/Beatles type situation. Hmm.

But yeah, for me no Brian no Beach Boys. I only care about the era where he took control and took it from simple surf rock tunes to something with meaning.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

@WalshFan88

Have you heard Brian Wilson's solo album 'Lucky Old Sun'. Others seem to disagree, but I think it is his best solo album. The whole thing just seems to work. For me, at least.

Here's a song off it. However, it's one of the more rock-and-roll ones, but it's on youtube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD4GUErAEM8[/ame]

If you like the Smile era BB more, then you might like the album BW did with Van Dyke Parks, 'Orange Crate Art'. More challenging and it took me a bit of time to get into it, but now I have I think it's a good album. The title track is a good indication of what the album is like.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qbQcmK72bo[/ame]

Apologies if you didn't want these unsolicited recommendations.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

My beef with the "Love & Mercy" film is that it very much downplays the role that Brian's brother Carl and their mom Audree played in getting Dr. Landy out of Brian's life. Melinda was the producer of the film, so of course she's made out to be a saint and Brian's savior. Some artistic license there, methinks.

Austin, I think you're selling the other Beach Boys' contributions a bit short! No one can match their heavenly vocals. Compare "Can't Wait Too Long" from Lucky Old Sun to the BB's released in 1990 as a bonus track on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey compilation, originally recorded in 1966-67.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhb-BJDJT4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhb-BJDJT4[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIc-39ewcGk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIc-39ewcGk[/ame]

Also compare the Beach Boys' "Our Prayer" with the version done by Brian's band. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqXibjCZy5Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqXibjCZy5Y[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3LNn7HGyE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3LNn7HGyE[/ame]