Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Former Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I totally agree with the first sentence, Jonny Come Lately but I think it's a bit unfair to say that all I do is criticize.

I also agree that on a site such as this, pedantry is most welcome. I certainly never inferred that I wasn't one. If anything, I was criticizing the lapse in pedantry.

As long as the hosts are, as much as possible, aware of the consequences of their decision, the outcome isn't a problem with me.

I'm very pleased to see so many expressing their point of view.
    What are these 'consequences' of which you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    On which Glenn Frey sang half the tracks. If you want to talk about vocal distribution LROOE was a bit more balanced than your beloved HC album was.

This is not about being 'equal'. It was about who the members of the last lineup were at the time the band effectively split.
    I was referring to Brooke's comment about them not being equal which I disagree with.

I wasn't talking about vocal participation GF vs DH. I was talking about the fact that the songs lyrically sounded like something Henley would sing on his solo record. A lot of complaining, too serious topics (frankly boring), and being rebellious against whoever in typical Henley fashion... The lyric content didn't do much for me outside of How Long, which is an old song. That said, I did dig the songs GF sang more than the DH songs. Again, I can only listen to Henley complaining for so long before my ears get tired.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    The final Eagles, yes. But that shouldn't diminish the other 3 and their accomplishments. Some of us prefer the earlier lineups, some prefer later lineups but to me they are all Eagles and they are all equal in terms of the title. I mean the bulk of their work featured the other 3 quite a lot. I certainly prefer their 70s albums to LROOE. To me that record didn't seem very "Eagle-y" as far as the sound, but I know I'm in the minority here. It sounded like a Henley solo record to me. I just feel like it's a bit unfair to DF, RM, and BL to say they aren't equal just because they were in the last incarnation of the band. That's all. To me the Eagles will always include Don Felder as part of their best work. Others might prefer the original 4 and the first two records. It's all good. To me it isn't about time served, it's about the accomplishments and what they brought to the music no matter how long they were in the band. I feel like some people would have seen any show billed as "Eagles" as long as GF and DH were there with any old backing band and would have been happy. That bugs me. The other guys count too. The band wouldn't be where it is today without Joe Walsh, Don Felder, Timothy B. Schmit, Randy Meisner, and Bernie Leadon. All are important.
    But that is not the way the world works, in real life. You don't get to hold on to the glory and acclaim and recognition when you leave (or are fired.) You give it up. You lose the claim to the band name and all other trappings when you're no longer a part of it. You are no longer an Eagle and haven't been for a long time. You were in the band for a while and did a good job and many enjoy your songs.

Also, I highly doubt that any of the three former members consider themselves equal to the guys who have stuck it out and toured all these years. Well, Felder might

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    But that is not the way the world works, in real life. You don't get to hold on to the glory and acclaim and recognition when you leave (or are fired.) You give it up. You lose the claim to the band name and all other trappings when you're no longer a part of it. You are no longer an Eagle and haven't been for a long time. You were in the band for a while and did a good job and many enjoy your songs.

Also, I highly doubt that any of the three former members consider themselves equal to the guys who have stuck it out and toured all these years. Well, Felder might
    I must disagree MC. To me they are all Eagles. As would anyone who had been in the band.

Hence the name of this section. Former EAGLES. Now they are all former Eagles! and if you want, you can just remove the current/former designation - they are all Eagles and have all contributed to this great band. The sum is greater than the parts, even greater than GF/DH vs the rest of the guys.

So lets pretend the Eagles were still touring. Are you really saying that because DF, RM, and BL are no longer in the band they are no longer deserving of recognition for their contributions?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Austin - I'm not trying to speak for MC, but I think she specifically said all the band members deserve credit for their contributions. I totally agree with this part of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    ... they are all Eagles and have all contributed to this great band. The sum is greater than the parts, even greater than GF/DH vs the rest of the guys.
    However, I also agree with what MC and others have said. To me, this is not about equality - it's just that I believe the final incarnation of the band does deserve the designation of 'Eagles' because they were the final four members who stuck it out until the end. I think of it like this - in my adult life I worked for several different companies, all of which I left on my own. When I resigned from those companies, I left my 'employee' status behind, along with all the benefits that I was entitled to as an employee. My contributions I made to these companies did not entitle me to retain my employment status once I terminated my relationship with them.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I had typed this same type of response, Dreamer, but deleted it. I used to work in the front office of an NHL team. But I don't anymore and I'm not considered part of that team and am not spoken of in the same breath with the current staff. I'm not included in events, though I did a good job while I was there and you'll find my signature on some work.

Honestly, if Randy, Felder and Bernie had remained in the band straight through, say, until 2010 or so, even 2006 (ten years ago,) I think Austin's point would be much stronger. It's just that they haven't been a part of it for SO MANY DECADES, their claim isn't as strong. As I said, their contributions stand the test of time and they contributed to the band's strongest work, no doubt. That doesn't mean they enjoy the same current status as the other four.

Border Desperado

Well, if you look at the most creative time of the band, and the time when The Eagles really soared to the heights on a new level, you are looking at the years 75-77 . You could really stretch that out, I suppose into 1980, even though they were struggling to put out that last album before the breakup/vacation. They were still touring and appearing before multitudes of fans.

The four founding members got it started, but the band changed significantly in the mid seventies and their popularity increased significantly when they moved from the country rock vibe to more rock oriented. The five members at that time..Don, Glen, Randy, Felder, & Joe created a new and improved and immensely successful Eagles.

Solo careers kept some of the players on the radar...Don particularly, but Classic Rock did as much as anything to keep the beloved Eagles 70s tunes in constant play. Like Glenn said, it's almost like we never went away.

If they hadn't been so good before they went away, I don't think the four remaining Eagles would have been able to sustain a 21 year 2nd chance career like they did. The Eagles' greatness stood and hopefully will always stand the test of time.
    Last edited by Eagles7; 06-22-2016 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    Well, if you look at the most creative time of the band, and the time when The Eagles really soared to the heights on a new level, you are looking at the years 75-77 . You could really stretch that out, I suppose into 1980, even though they were struggling to put out that last album before the breakup/vacation. They were still touring and appearing before multitudes of fans.

The four founding members got it started, but the band changed significantly in the mid seventies and their popularity increased significantly when they moved from the country rock vibe to more rock oriented. The five members at that time..Don, Glen, Randy, Felder, & Joe created a new and improved and immensely successful Eagles.

Solo careers kept some of the players on the radar...Don particularly, but Classic Rock did as much as anything to keep the beloved Eagles 70s tunes in constant play. Like Glenn said, it's almost like we never went away.

If they hadn't been so good before they went away, I don't think the four remaining Eagles would have been able to sustain a 22 year 2nd chance career like they did. The Eagles' greatness stood and hopefully will always stand the test of time.
    I so agree!

Not only with their golden era and the fact that Felder and Walsh helped to craft a more rockin' sound that was new and improved but also the fact that classic rock radio kept their music alive.

It kinda bugged me when Glenn said classic rock radio kept the Eagles in peoples heads and then when it came time to talk money (and wanting more for him and DH than DF, JW, and TBS), it was his and DH's solo career that did it. Kind of a contradiction there. IMO, the introduction of Classic Rock/Album Oriented Rock radio is exactly why they were still in the minds of people when the band was inactive. The solo thing helped some, but it was overblown and I think it's a poor reason for wanting more money than the other guys. I'd be more apt to agree with "We deserve more money because we were the main songwriters" than "Our solo careers kept the band alive", which I do not and never will agree with.

Border Desperado

Yes, that was a very odd (and blatant) contradiction.

Also, I guess I should have said the 4 Eagles might not have sustained a 15 year 2nd chance career, cause Felder was still with them from 1994-2000.

Stuck on the Border

There are two separate issues here.

The first is the structure of the board and if you look back to the start of this thread, there was a single board covering Bernie , Randy and Felder and then the sub-boards for each former member were added later. The justification was the amount of traffic and that still holds true with the boards for Glenn, Henley, Joe and Timothy being significantly more active than the other three. At this point, Frey's board is still the most active of all.

The second issue is about how to class all the members, past, present and future and that quickly dissolves into "my Eagle" vs "your Eagle" and that goes nowhere.

My belief (but not knowledge) is "Eagles" still exists as a current (but currently inactive) entity with Henley, Walsh and Schmit as members with the status being similar to how it was during the break. I've no idea if Frey's heirs would be involved. Theoretically, Henley, Walsh and Schmit could continue as "Eagles".

With a marriage, if someone was referred to as "the former husband of..." I would assume there was a divorce. After death, normal usage would be "the late husband of..." However, I doubt anyone wants to see a "Late Eagles" board.