Page 21 of 145 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Bob Seger Article about tribute to Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It isn't a question of knowing if anyone disapproves. It's this automatic assumption that they MUST approve, without question, that we are querying. We don't KNOW. You may be right. But you can't just take it as absolute fact. You are the one who is doing so, well, you & everyone else who agrees with you. You say that because nobody has SAID they disapprove, ipso facto they approve. You even say they are 'doing the opposite - they are indicating they approve' when there is precisely no evidence for this.

The Frey family are private people; they are not public figures. They don't really have a forum in which they can express their views either way.
    I'm not making any automatic assumptions, or taking anything as fact. What I do want to do is, if you'll excuse the scientific bias, collect evidence pro and con, and then find the theory that best fits the evidence.

Dawn has suggested that there may be people close to Glenn who disapprove but are not saying so. I did wish to make sure that I understood her fully, and then I asked her for her reasons for thinking this. I did this so that I could fully understand her point and give it proper consideration.

What we see is, for example, the Frey family very involved in the tour, including Deacon playing in the band (And doing an excellent job) and family members accompanying him. We see that Bob Seger played with the band. We see that Jack Tempchin has posted links about recent Eagles (with Deacon) concerts to his Facebook page. This is evidence that they approve. Particularly for the Frey family. You say that they are private, but they are a crucial part of the band continuing. I don't see it as credible that they do not approve given their actions.

If I thought that Glenn would not approve of Eagles continuing, then I would oppose it. I'm fully prepared to change my mind if there is good reason to, but at present all I can see is people who were close to Glenn who appear to approve of Eagles continuing. For me this is evidence that Glenn would have approved of what is happening, because all these people know Glenn infinitely better than any of us.

So, everything I see suggests that Eagles continuing is a reasonable thing.

I'm not saying it's proven or absolute fact that they approve. However, given what we see, I believe that it's overwhelmingly likely that they approve. Deacon in the band. Cindy and other Frey family members 'cheering on' Deacon and the band at Classic East. Bob playing with the band, and so on. I've just found out about the relationship between Jimmy Buffet and Glenn, and Jimmy is going to be opening for the band. The evidence that those close to Glenn approve is very strong. If there is evidence that others disapprove (I only know of Don Felder's statement), then please tell me. Otherwise the evidence, and there is a fair amount of it, all points in one direction. Hence, I will believe (not take as fact) that what the evidence shows, is true.

If anyone has reasons why they believe it's a bad thing for Eagles to continue, then I'm interested in hearing their reasons for thinking so. And I'm fully prepared to look into their reasons for doing so. However, I can't give other people's points of view proper consideration unless I understand them, including what they base these points of view on. This is not, I believe, being rude or argumentative for the sake of it. This is the way that people with different viewpoints properly discuss them and at least come to an understanding of each other's viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Dawn - No problem. Sorry for naming FP instead of you. I edited it. It's been a long day !
    Not a problem NKIT I am relaxing after a long day myself. Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Speaking of Jimmy Buffet, he does about 20-30 shows a year and has been touring nearly every year since I last saw him in 2000. No surprise Azoff paired the band with Buffet. Or James Taylor. Or anyone else in his rolodex.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

I don't know or care whether those close to Glenn approve or disapprove, but if someone disapproves, and doesn't talk about in public, the reason for that doesn't have to be "mysterious". One very obvious reason would be that they would feel uncomfortable doing it, because they could to start a fight in public with people they care about. Even when someone says they're are ok with it, they could have issues with it. But it is true that we haven't seen signs of disapproval. And people who play with them or post links in their Facebook page most likely don't disapprove. Everyone in the Frey family doesn't necessarily like it. (Has JD Souther said anything? He said the Eagles were over after Glenn passed away.)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I'm not making any automatic assumptions, or taking anything as fact. What I do want to do is, if you'll excuse the scientific bias, collect evidence pro and con, and then find the theory that best fits the evidence.

Dawn has suggested that there may be people close to Glenn who disapprove but are not saying so. I did wish to make sure that I understood her fully, and then I asked her for her reasons for thinking this. I did this so that I could fully understand her point and give it proper consideration.

What we see is, for example, the Frey family very involved in the tour, including Deacon playing in the band (And doing an excellent job) and family members accompanying him. We see that Bob Seger played with the band. We see that Jack Tempchin has posted links about recent Eagles (with Deacon) concerts to his Facebook page. This is evidence that they approve. Particularly for the Frey family. You say that they are private, but they are a crucial part of the band continuing. I don't see it as credible that they do not approve given their actions.

If I thought that Glenn would not approve of Eagles continuing, then I would oppose it. I'm fully prepared to change my mind if there is good reason to, but at present all I can see is people who were close to Glenn who appear to approve of Eagles continuing. For me this is evidence that Glenn would have approved of what is happening, because all these people know Glenn infinitely better than any of us.

So, everything I see suggests that Eagles continuing is a reasonable thing.

I'm not saying it's proven or absolute fact that they approve. However, given what we see, I believe that it's overwhelmingly likely that they approve. Deacon in the band. Cindy and other Frey family members 'cheering on' Deacon and the band at Classic East. Bob playing with the band, and so on. I've just found out about the relationship between Jimmy Buffet and Glenn, and Jimmy is going to be opening for the band. The evidence that those close to Glenn approve is very strong. If there is evidence that others disapprove (I only know of Don Felder's statement), then please tell me. Otherwise the evidence, and there is a fair amount of it, all points in one direction. Hence, I will believe (not take as fact) that what the evidence shows, is true.

If anyone has reasons why they believe it's a bad thing for Eagles to continue, then I'm interested in hearing their reasons for thinking so. And I'm fully prepared to look into their reasons for doing so. However, I can't give other people's points of view proper consideration unless I understand them, including what they base these points of view on. This is not, I believe, being rude or argumentative for the sake of it. This is the way that people with different viewpoints properly discuss them and at least come to an understanding of each other's viewpoint.
    Read the Eagles 3.0 thread. You know very well what the arguments against them continuing are. If you claim not to know, I don't know what to tell you. For them to continue is 'reasonable' for YOU.

As for the rest of it I suppose you are right, but that does not change what I said all along, that all the approval in the world does not mean that I PERSONALLY have to approve of it, and I would like that viewpoint respected instead of people constantly telling me that despite what I think it's all just hunky dory.

I’ve seen this scene play out a couple times for Me personally and for others. I’ve had trouble avoiding arguments which is my fault but there have been times when I just tried to understand other view points and all I’m told is “I don’t know what to tell you”. It’s a tough place to be (for me at least) to avoid arguing but then try to gain a deeper understanding when all I get told is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Read the Eagles 3.0 thread. You know very well what the arguments against them continuing are. If you claim not to know, I don't know what to tell you. For them to continue is 'reasonable' for YOU.
    I have read much of the 3.0 thread, over time. What I see there are people making claims, and expressing their beliefs about things. What I don't see is people making reasoned cases for their claims.

I must admit that certain things, such as this seeming belief that those close to Glenn are unable to express their opposition (even as they seemingly support the band) seem very odd to me. Note: I'm not saying, given your most recent posting, that you yourself are thinking this.

Hence me wanting to know more about why people are believing what they believe.

As for the rest of it I suppose you are right, but that does not change what I said all along, that all the approval in the world does not mean that I PERSONALLY have to approve of it, and I would like that viewpoint respected instead of people constantly telling me that despite what I think it's all just hunky dory.
    No, you don't have to approve of it if you don't want to. Neither do you have to explain yourself if you don't want to. However, I wished to understand why people are believing things. E.g. in this thread what appears to be (as far as I can see) a belief that those close to Glenn may well not approve of Eagles continuing but not be expressing that in public. Hence I have tried to learn more about this, including going off and doing quite a bit of research about what those close to Glenn have done.

When you say that you would like your viewpoint respected, what do you mean by this? How should other forum members be acting towards you and your posts?
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 11-24-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Stuck on the Border

AT, I don't think anyone has implied any knowledge of anyone close to Glenn disapproving. Rather, that if someone disapproved they would be likely to keep quiet, at least publically, out of respect for Glenn's family. Therefore it isn't a safe assumption that everyone approves just because no one has expressed disapproval. Perhaps I'm reading it that way, because that's the conclusion I'd already reached on my own.

What we do know is that Cindy, Deacon and Taylor Frey, Irving Azoff, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmit, Bob Seger, Jack Tempchin and Thomas Sullivan have shown support or acceptance of the band continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    AT, I don't think anyone has implied any knowledge of anyone close to Glenn disapproving. Rather, that if someone disapproved they would be likely to keep quiet, at least publically, out of respect for Glenn's family. Therefore it isn't a safe assumption that everyone approves just because no one has expressed disapproval. Perhaps I'm reading it that way, because that's the conclusion I'd already reached on my own.

What we do know is that Cindy, Deacon and Taylor Frey, Irving Azoff, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmit, Bob Seger, Jack Tempchin and Thomas Sullivan have shown support or acceptance of the band continuing.
    I don't have the time to go through Eagles 3.0 to check, and my memory is definitely far from perfect. But, I think I did see someone say that they believed that Glenn would not approve of Eagles continuing. I held my tongue then.

I've noted that Jackson Browne, Bernie Leadon, and JD Souther don't seem to have said anything about the reunion. Even when they discuss Eagles in interviews. Hence, I classify their opinions as unknown at present. I find it difficult to believe that Jackson would not make a statement if he strongly disagreed, but don't claim in any way that that is a strong argument. I don't count Jackson singing at the Grammys as evidence that he supports Eagles continuing as I don't think anyone expected Eagles to continue at that point.

Didn't Randy attend an Eagles concert, even if he didn't perform?

However, my point is that nearly all that we know suggests approval. We haven't had anyone near to Eagles except for Don Felder come out against it that I know of. And how close is Don F to Eagles, on a personal level, now?

Clearly my belief can be falsified if people such as Jackson, JD, or others suddenly make a public statement. That would make the situation more mixed. However, at the moment I think it safe to assume that most people close to Eagles approve, and I don't feel that it's likely that some people are holding their tongue. As in similar contentious situations, people are usually quite forthcoming about their objections.

Stuck on the Border

I imagine that JD Souther, Jackson Browne and Bernie Leadon would consider that it's not their decision to make and therefore none of their business.

As for Don Felder, we know he isn't close and I believe he was just taking the opportunity to make a quick jab at Henley.