Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Jack Tempchin

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Jack Tempchin

I'm sure there is plenty of credit to Glenn that comes along with the album since the entire thing is dedicated to him.

I'm going to go ahead and order it just for sentimental reasons even though there is no doubt that I much prefer Glenn's voice to Jack's. My first thought about 'Privacy' is that is does indeed sound like a Frey-Tempchin song. I actually like it, and can't help but thinking how good it might have been with Glenn's vocal and arrangement talents.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I wrote down the lyrics. I don't think this is one they slaved over for months, but it rhymes and makes a point.

Privacy

They got a video zoom
    In the hotel room.
    The camera's in the wall.
    They can watch it all.

I want my privacy.

Every call I take,
    Every buck I make,
    It's going on a chip,
    It's going custom zip.

I want my privacy.
    (Privacy)
    I want my privacy.
    (Privacy)
    I want to lay on the couch,
    just Tina and me.
    I want my privacy.

Well they can see my face
    From up in outer space.
    The eye in the sky
    Knows when I'm getting high.

I want my privacy.

Big business wants to make a sale.
    The government says they've got bad guys to nail.
    Everybody thinks that gives them the right
    To keep on watching me day and night.

I want my privacy.
    (Privacy)
    I want my privacy.
    (My privacy)
    Big brother's watching me.
    Hey, let me be!
    I want my privacy.

It's the american way
    To say get out of my face.
    They say that's how things are.
    I say they've gone too far.

I want my privacy.
    And I can't steal a kiss.
    How can we live like this?
    I want my privacy.

My TV is watching me.
    Hey brother, I want my privacy.

Thanks UTW

I thought the video was fun - in a "cheesy" kinda way, which given the props they used lololol may be exactly what they were going for.

Also, I really like Jack and it's good to see him playing his music, still living and loving the dream.

Stuck on the Border

Well, OK, I have no problem with Tempchin doing this, although I was under the obviously mistaken impression that there were in fact more unheard songs than Privacy & the other one with the clunky title (Everybody's Gonna Love Somebody Tonight; I mean, which major Eagles song does that remind you of)?

Yes, it makes a point, but not well enough. Perhaps I'm too old for this type of music now. I prefer more sophistication. Glenn would have made it sound more listenable, there is no doubt about that. If this is in fact the last song he wrote, that's a shame in my view. But according to a previous post it was written in 2002.

I suppose the other question is why does the album not include the tribute song Tempchin wrote?

I truly appreciate Jack's tribute to Glenn. It was heartfelt and lovely. I'm also glad he's still writing, still productive, still doing what he loves.

But (you could hear it coming, couldn't you?), it also does not follow that songwriters are always good singers. Jack's voice is all right; he can carry a tune. But he's not a GREAT singer. So, some of these songs don't come through as well, mostly because we all remember them sung by someone who was a GREAT singer. Glenn had a beautiful voice, one suited equally well to singing ballads or rockers. That's a hard balance to strike. Plus, he knew how to interpret a song, which Jack can also do.

"Privacy" is interesting, but I couldn't help but think Glenn would have added an element of fun vocally, rather like he does in "Partytown." You can hear him grinning through the whole thing. But you know, Glenn didn't record too many clunkers. There are some songs where I wish the arrangement had been better ("Don't Give Up" comes to mind), but overall, he knew how to pick a good song to record. Part of that is also knowing which ones to leave alone, which may be where "Privacy" fell in his estimation. Just my feelings on the subject.

Nevertheless, I have to send virtual hugs to Jack for so publicly acknowledging his friend and co-writer, and most especially, for reminding people Glenn was a good person and a good friend. My thanks to him.

Banned

Thanks for the Privacy lyrics UndertheWire. If I could suggest a correction; "It's gonna cost 'em zip."

Privacy doesn't do much for me but if there are any great Frey tracks to be released in the future, I wouldn't want JT to be the lead singer. I'm pleased that his new album will feature some talented guest vocalists. It's a great bunch of songs.

I didn't care for "Privacy." It sounded along the same lines as "Livin' Right" or "Love in the 21st Century," neither of which I care much for, but not even as good as those. As many have said, Jack Tempchin, for all his songwriting talents, is not a singer. Maybe Glenn could have done something more with this. But, Glenn was such a perfectionist, if this didn't make the final cut, perhaps there was good reason.

I doubt this was the last song Glenn wrote. If this was 2002, the songs from Long Road Out of Eden came after this. (I know they worked on LROE for years, but I would think at least some of the songs on it were written after 2002). Maybe it was the last song he wrote with Tempchin?

Tempchin wrote a poem after Glenn died and posted it on his facebook page. It would have been nice if he put music to this and put it on this album.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I didn't care for "Privacy." It sounded along the same lines as "Livin' Right" or "Love in the 21st Century," neither of which I care much for, but not even as good as those. As many have said, Jack Tempchin, for all his songwriting talents, is not a singer. Maybe Glenn could have done something more with this. But, Glenn was such a perfectionist, if this didn't make the final cut, perhaps there was good reason.

I doubt this was the last song Glenn wrote. If this was 2002, the songs from Long Road Out of Eden came after this. (I know they worked on LROE for years, but I would think at least some of the songs on it were written after 2002). Maybe it was the last song he wrote with Tempchin?

Tempchin wrote a poem after Glenn died and posted it on his facebook page. It would have been nice if he put music to this and put it on this album.

Not only was there a poem, but there was an actual song called There's No Goodbye. It beggars belief why this is not on this album. He offered it for download on his webpage.

A couple of Glenn's LROOE songs were written with Tempchin & they were presumbably written after Privacy. But still that's seven years between LROOE & Glenn's death. Is that REALLY all there is? It's just so sad. You go back through this thread & some of us did assume that there would be more than two songs which had not been recorded by Glenn.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-28-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I assume this is the album that Jack talked about coming out when some of us went to his show in LA in January?

I'm not a big fan of Jack's voice either, but was so touched that he apparently thought so much of Glenn that he wanted to honor him with this album. Strange that it doesn't have TNG on it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I think Privacy is a nice little tune - it doesn't try to be something magnificent. It would be a nice album track, but it's not strong enough to be highlighted with a video. I think the lyric would be better if it contained some funny stuff in a Joe Walsh kind of way. Perhaps Joe should even sing it! (I'm thinking of something like Analog Man.)

I think I like Jack's version more than I would have liked a Glenn version. This one works with a singer who's not a great singer.