Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Border Troubadour

Default Vocal harmony conbination variations

Not the world's best title but it's the best and most concise I could muster. Basically, I was listening to an Eagles song the other day (can't recall which) and during one of the harmonies I began to wonder what sort of different combinations of harmonies the guys have recorded over the years? Obviously they all do the chorus to Lyin' Eyes (no matter who was a member at the point in time) and Glenn and Henley have a few where just they sing together, but I was wondering are there any songs where there's a three part harmony with Henley-Glenn andJoe (or anyone else, I think TBS has a few), or really back in the day any which Henley or Glenn didn't sing?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Good topic, tlr. I'll can't think of any right off the top of my head, so I'll have to give this some thought.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I think Pretty Maids All In a Row is 3 part harmony. I think I've seen Glenn and Don sing harmony with Joe.

I think there's 3 part harmony on I Can't Tell You Why. I could be wrong. I need to see a video.

That's all I can think of at the top of my head. Other than Don and Glenn singing harmony on each other song(i.e. Already Gone), I just don't know what other song.

Are you talking about the chorus of a song, the verses, or the entire thing? I notice that often Glenn or Don will song the lead and the other will sing harmony on the verse, then on the chorus Timothy and/or Joe will add more layers. A lot of eagles songs are like that.Timothy sings harmony on most of the songs. And don't forget the famous Eagles "ooohhs" - those are usually 3 part harmony. Their ability to sing gorgeous harmony is one thing that always set the Eagles apart from other groups - especially during the 70s.

Shun - on I can't tell you why it is just Timothy, and then Glenn and Don sing the counter melody. Maybe they sing a little on the chorus too - I'll have to go back and listen - dang!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I was wondering are there any songs where there's a three part harmony with Henley-Glenn andJoe (or anyone else, I think TBS has a few), or really back in the day any which Henley or Glenn didn't sing?
    A great example isn't even an Eagles song. Don, Glenn, and Timothy sing harmony on Seger's Fire Lake.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

Cheers guys, it can literally be anything, the more obscure the better! A couple of examples I can think of off the top of my head is Glenn didn't sing at all on the BBC 1973 version of TLHTM, and during the Washington 1977 version of RMW it's Don Henley who does a lot of the backing vocals by himself. Of course I can't prove consistency though!

Stuck on the Border

I'm thinking of an interview, possibly with Glenn, where he spoke about Glyn Johns saying that when Glenn, Bernie and Randy sang together, he (Glyn) could hear a fourth voice. I can't find the source at the moment.

The second verse of PEF features Bernie singing the 3rd above Glenn - a part that would be taken by Don on every Eagles song thereafter. Also, live versions of this tune from this time period bizarrely feature Don singing the highest harmony on the first line of the second verse only - a part normally taken by Randy, who sings the highest part during every other section of the song!

Border Troubadour

Cheers SS, just the thing I was after. The song I referred to in the OP was D-D / D Reprise, in which I thought you could hear Randy harmonising with Henley, but I can't remember when...

I think Glenn may not be singing on Twenty-One or Certain Kind of Fool