Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Indeed. Now that people have mentioned it, I can't remember any one time I've seen the traditional Frey-Walsh-Felder lineup using the same model of (electric) guitar at the same time (there's some clashes when Bernie and Henley do IIRC). I had actually noticed in a few other bands with two plus guitarists, they always tend to use different guitars. Amazing how sometimes if you listen enough you'll realise when a lick changes sound on account that it's done on a different guitar etc.

----------------------

This is kinda a guitar question I guess - when Henley's upfront on guitar (like during TITTL or BOML) would he be on the same volume as Frey (also on rhythm) or would he be down a few notches?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    This is kinda a guitar question I guess - when Henley's upfront on guitar (like during TITTL or BOML) would he be on the same volume as Frey (also on rhythm) or would he be down a few notches?
    Might depend on the song but my guess is that is isn't anywhere near as present in the mix as GF's. Henley can play basic chords but he's nowhere near the rhythm player that GF is.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Now I'm going to listen to the songs more carefully now. LOL

I'm going to give an example of a song I notice that does have different guitar sounds. The Long Run. At the beginning, they are playing the same solo, but their guitar sound is very different.

You can kinda picked out Joe's and Don F's solos when they are playing together on HC.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Might depend on the song but my guess is that is isn't anywhere near as present in the mix as GF's. Henley can play basic chords but he's nowhere near the rhythm player that GF is.
    Indeed, I realise on stuff like LITFL and Those Shoes he'll be on a very simplified version of Glenn's work, but for the slow songs like BOML would he play anything simpler then, and would he be on the same volume as the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Indeed, I realise on stuff like LITFL and Those Shoes he'll be on a very simplified version of Glenn's work, but for the slow songs like BOML would he play anything simpler then, and would he be on the same volume as the rest?
    I'm not sure, but that might be the case.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

In concert, on BOML everybody except Don F(and now Steuart) are playing acoustic guitars. So Don is either playing off of Glenn or Joe.

But most of the acoustic part of the show, Don is doing his famous guitar drumming when he's not singing lead.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If you look at the list of guitars in the Farewell One insert, they are Glenn's guitars & I have always thought that is Glenn's handwriting.
    I don't have a guitar list in my F1 insert. As for the handwriting, I'm not certain how it could be identified as Glenn's. I've only seen a couple of samples of Glenn's handwriting in printscript. To me, it doesn't seem to match, but I'm no expert.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If you look at the list of guitars in the Farewell One insert, they are Glenn's guitars & I have always thought that is Glenn's handwriting.
    I'm trying to work this one out. I don't see how a list that shows a "doubleneck" for HC and "talkbox" for Those Shoes could be for Glenn. However, I remember an earlier discussion about an annotated setlist so I wonder if there is a similar list for Glenn that you are thinking of. If you can find it, I'd love to see it.

ETA:
    I'm one of those people who spends too much time going down rabbit-holes searching for even more detail, even when I know little on the subject. I've been trying to find the setlist with Glenn's guitars but so far I've only found one from 2009 at the Takamine site. However, I also found a review of the GF Signature Takamine which has an explanation of why Glenn likes his Takamine for playing live - Premier Guitar.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-18-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm trying to work this one out. I don't see how a list that shows a "doubleneck" for HC and "talkbox" for Those Shoes could be for Glenn. However, I remember an earlier discussion about an annotated setlist so I wonder if there is a similar list for Glenn that you are thinking of. If you can find it, I'd love to see it.

ETA:
    I'm one of those people who spends too much time going down rabbit-holes searching for even more detail, even when I know little on the subject. I've been trying to find the setlist with Glenn's guitars but so far I've only found one from 2009 at the Takamine site. However, I also found a review of the GF Signature Takamine which has an explanation of why Glenn likes his Takamine for playing live - Premier Guitar.

These are pictures of the setlist from the inside of the cover of F1. You probably can't read the notations for the guitars. I have to get ready for church so I din't have time to type them up right now. Unless someone can take a picture in which the notations are legible I will post the list later.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks. That's probably what I was almost remembering.