Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Music Recommendations - Songs

Smile Re: New Music Recommendations - Songs

Bon Iver is amazing. I had never heard of this band before and I found out about them on Twitter. My favorite actor (Tom Hiddleston) loves them and because he tweets about them often. I had to go and check them out. I really like their sound. They're folky and the singer's voice just stirs something in me and his playing is phenomenal. Check out 'Holocene' from their latest release. It is breathtaking.

I'm also listening 'Not The Weapon But The Hand' which is by Steve Hogarth (Marillion) and Richard Barbieri (Porcupine Tree.) It's in the ambient style of music. I really like it. I feel like I'm going into a trance when I listen to it. If ambient is your bag, then check this one out.

I'm also very into techno and alternative. I am a fan of a guy named Dean Garcia. He was formerly in a band called Curve and now has done an array of new material with various artists. My fav new band at this point in time is SPC-ECO and Dean is in this band. If you like alternative, shoe gaze music heavy with guitars and multi-layering, then this is for you. (Think Nine Inch Nails, that sort of thing.)

Not quite as new but still good is John Wetton's 'Raised in Captivity'. John released this solo effort last June and my favorite cut on this is 'Lost For Words." John is the lead singer/bassist in Asia as well as U.K.

Laura Jansen is another singer that I've come to adore. I also found out about her from Twitter (Tom Hiddleston again) and her music is based around strong piano with some keyboards in it. I really like her voice quite a lot. She actually reminds me of Lucy Walsh.

Speaking of Lucy Walsh, I downloaded her EP '1882' and cannot stop listening. She has a phenomenal voice and is a great musician. I hear she's working on a new full length album which I will be getting whenever that releases.

And finally the stirring and epic "Titanic Requiem' which was composed by Robin Gibb and his son RJ Gibb. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra played on it and this was released 3/26 in time for the 100th Anniversary of the Titanic. It is phenomenally good and I highly recommend it. (I'm not a huge fan of classical music but Robin and RJ did one helluva job with this one.)

Default Re: New Music Recommendations - Songs

Thanks for the recs! I've run out of money on emusic this month but I'll keep these for the next one!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Surprisingly I'm a Keith Urban fan.... Being a classic rock purist there are VERY, very few modern artists or records I can say I truly like. Keith somehow makes the cut. His latest album, Get Closer, has a lot of great songs on it.

One of my faves is "You Gonna Fly". Really like that song.

I also am really enjoying the latest Slash solo album. I was not a big fan of his first solo album to be honest, although I love GnR and really like Velvet Revolver. But this latest album, Apocalyptic Love, is fantastic and more old school. From that record I'd recommend the title track. I love that album.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

I also am really enjoying the latest Slash solo album. I was not a big fan of his first solo album to be honest, although I love GnR and really like Velvet Revolver. But this latest album, Apocalyptic Love, is fantastic and more old school. From that record I'd recommend the title track. I love that album.

I'm with you, Austin. Wasn't impressed with his first solo attempt, will always love GnR and LOVE Velvet Revolver... but this album, he hits out of the park! It's just good old rock and roll with Slash signature riffs all over it. And Myles... what a perfect choice to sing! I wasn't so sure at first... but he's won me over.

Obsessed. Yes I am.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Need more recs guys... I missed my chance for February and I don't want to screw up March as well!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I highly recommend Josh Ritter's new album, The Beast in its Tracks. It's a beautiful and emotional set of songs about the divorce that he went through a few years ago, but ends on a hopeful note, as happily for him, he met someone new and became a dad. He's a wonderful songwriter and one of the best live performers that I've seen. If you want to check the various albums out before buying, he puts them up on the website so you can hear them and also gives some mp3's away as well, if you join his e-mail list.

http://www.joshritter.com/music/

Favorite albums of mine are Hello Starling, The Animal Years and So Runs the World Away, but they are all good. The live ones are great as well, as his energy comes through more than on the studio albums.

He's just started a tour as well, so if he comes through your town, I would say go! Seeing him in concert and the joy in his performance makes you remember why you love music in the first place. And every ticket purchased comes with a free download of the new album.

Erin

I just looked at his tour schedule and he's going to be in Buffalo on 4/13...I will try to go...

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I just looked at his tour schedule and he's going to be in Buffalo on 4/13...I will try to go...
    I hope you do get to go! I've taken quite a few friends over the last few years to see Josh and they have all loved seeing him in concert. He's just a happy guy, and puts so much into his performance.

He recently played in NYC and NPR streamed it live. It's still up on their website, if you want to check it out.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/17241...concert?live=1