Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: I Like the Cover More Than the Original

Border Desperado

Default Re: I Like the Cover More Than the Original

For A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall, I think I prefer Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians cover to Dylan's as I like the smoothness of her voice.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I agree with you, Village Girl. Thanks for posting because I was afraid to volunteer that opinion Dylan fans are passionate, and I respect that. Hell, as a hardcore Doors fan, if someone told me the Ricky Martin version of "Light My Fire" was the ultimate, I'd have to be held back.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    The original "Oh, Lonesome Me" by Don Gibson (with Carl Perkins on guitar) is the best, IMO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc-2eO8FJzk
    Thanks for the link! Very interesting, I was surprised to see that Neil didn't use all of Gibson's verses. It was more sprightly than I expected (although then again I am comparing it to Neil Young, and no one does 'despairing' quite like him!). I still prefer Neil's version, although the original is certainly good as well. It's weird to hear a different version for me as After The Gold Rush is an album I play a lot as a full record. The strangest thing was that Don't Let It Bring You Down didn't immediately follow on from it! I'm like that with Hotel California as well. Whenever I hear the end of New Kid In Town, I always expect the riff from Life In The Fast Lane to kick in at the end, and I'm still surprised when it doesn't if I'm listening to it alone as part of a playlist!

As a Bob Dylan fan, one of the things I most love about his work is his great songwriting and lyrics. So I think that if people don't enjoy his songs when he sings them but enjoy them when someone else performs them, that's a great thing. I understand why not everyone loves his voice, I personally think his voice suits a lot of his material very well (especially some of the most droll pieces from Blonde On Blonde such as Stuck Inside of Mobile...) but if you don't like the way he performs his songs either, that's fine. The only thing that genuinely annoys me is when people say that Dylan can't sing. It's fair enough if you don't like his voice, fair enough if you don't like his music and even his lyrics, but it's not true that he isn't a capable vocalist.

In terms of my own experience with Dylan covers I think Bob's All Along The Watchtower is a great piece of work in itself, but I agree that Jimi's version is definitive. Even Bob has taken to using Jimi's arrangement in concert rather than his own, which is some compliment. The Byrds version of Mr Tambourine Man is good, but I think the original is magical. My favourite parts of the song are the harmonica solo and the final verse with its wonderfully poetic lyrics, which The Byrds cover doesn't include. However, I think Bob's version of Knocking On Heaven's Door is the definitive one for sure. The better cover versions are the less well known ones IMO - Warren Zevon's cover is particularly meaningful as he recorded it as he was dying of cancer, and I also like Roger Waters' take on the song. By contrast, I can't get into Eric Clapton's reggae version, and I think the Guns N Roses version completely misses the point of the song (apologies to the GNR fans here), although oddly enough I actually find it more entertaining than Clapton's because their version is so far 'wrong' that I find it funny. I have a pretty dark sense of humour so the idea of turning a bleak song about the feeling of weakness as you slide towards death into a good time rocker with blazing power chords amuses me, even though the Dylan purist in me is aghast and thinks 'what have you done with this beautiful song?'.

My personal 'pet hate' is Fleetwood Mac covers! Whenever I hear covers of their songs I'm always annoyed as I'd far rather be hearing the original. With most of my other favourites I don't hear many cover versions so it's not a problem, but with FM I hear a lot of covers. I'll begrudgingly admit that The Dixie Chicks version of Landslide (which everyone else in my family likes) isn't bad. But all of the others I hear, whether it's Dreams, Don't Stop, The Chain, Go Your Own Way (I remember a really bland cover of this one being used in a TV advert. It completely lacked the energy and power that makes it great)... it's all the same, just give me Stevie and Lindsey already!

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I like cover versions that are so different from the original that they are so different that you can't really compare them. E.g. Yukihiro Takahashi did a cover of Taxman as an 80s style synth-pop track. I think it's it's own thing, and can't really be compared to the original.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMIvTi_mhsc[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I recommend Bryan Ferry's Dylanesque album. The best tracks are probably Simple Twist Of Fate & Posiitively Fourth Street, but as I said earlier in the thread his version of A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall beats the original to a pulp.
    Thank you for the recommendation. TBH I'm not familiar with Bryan Ferry outside of a few Roxy Music songs, but I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Thanks for the link! Very interesting, I was surprised to see that Neil didn't use all of Gibson's verses. It was more sprightly than I expected (although then again I am comparing it to Neil Young, and no one does 'despairing' quite like him!). I still prefer Neil's version, although the original is certainly good as well.
    I actually got to learn of that song by a cover - Paul McCartney did a fine version that I heard while visiting Ireland many moons ago. Actually, I never found Paul's recording (maybe I dreamed it) but it led me to Don Gibson so I'm not complaining.

And I have Neil Young to thank for turning me onto Hank Williams, Sr.'s searing "Alone and Forsaken," which he sang with someone (Springsteen?) on a television charity concert some years ago. I'm a HW fan but had never heard that song. Neko Case does an absolutely brilliant cover. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQbco1s9iTg

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I agree with you, Village Girl. Thanks for posting because I was afraid to volunteer that opinion Dylan fans are passionate, and I respect that. Hell, as a hardcore Doors fan, if someone told me the Ricky Martin version of "Light My Fire" was the ultimate, I'd have to be held back.
    I should be safe with the Atlantic Ocean separating us, but even though I was tempted I'm just not that mean

I would forgive you AT - the Doors have weathered many insults over the years and their music keeps on enduring, as it always will I predict.

Ooh! I just thought of the ultimate cover that's better than the original: the Linda Ronstadt version of Warren Zevon's "Poor Pitiful Me" - she actually improves on the lyrics and arguably the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I recommend Bryan Ferry's Dylanesque album. The best tracks are probably Simple Twist Of Fate & Posiitively Fourth Street, but as I said earlier in the thread his version of A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall beats the original to a pulp.

Phil Collins' version of The Times They Are A-Changing isn't bad.

I prefer the Byrds' You Ain't Going Nowhere to Dylan's version. However it must be remembered that JCL & I are pretty much the only Dylan fans on this board.
    Well, per your suggestion I listened to the album 2+ times. It was really good, some tracks better than others. I really like Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues and Simple Twist of Fate. I like the pretty piano and strings arrangement of Positively 4th Street, but I have to say this is one of the few times I think Dylan's rendition is better. Ferry's arrangement of Times They Are-a-Changin' reminds me of the Traveling Wilburys, I guess due to the Dylan connection.

I agree with VillageGirl and prefer Edie Brickell's cover of A Hard Rain's Gonna
    Fall. I prefer Garth Brooks' version of Make You Feel My Love, although I'm not that crazy about it, either. I think a song like If Not for You may have benefitted from Rick Nelson's understated countrified approach. Anyway, thank you for your recommendation. I have a new perspective of Bryan Ferry's musicianship.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I can't believe I forgot about Reba McEntire and her versions of "Fancy" and "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia". I loved those songs and Reba is amazing.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."