Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Elton John

Default Elton John

Has anyone besides FP and DF seen Elton? He was here last April, but didn't get a chance to go. Maybe he'll come here for my birthday

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Elton John

I wish I could remember how many times I have seen this man. The first time was in 1982, the Too Low For Zero tour. I also saw the Jump Up tour, the big tour with the orchestra, the Face to Face tour with Billy Joel, the Captain & the Kid tour, and again last year. That is six times at least. I have been a devoted fan since 1972 in England when I saw him do Crocodile Rock on Top Of The Pops, although he went through a very uncreative period when he was overwhelmed by drugs.

Anyone who wants to discover Sir Elton's musical genius should purchase the following albums:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player
    Honky Chateau
    Too Low For Zero
    Songs From The West Coast
    Elton John

and a personal top 10, though it could easily be 20:

1. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    2. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
    3. Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
    4. Your Song
    5. The Bitch Is Back
    6. Daniel
    7. Honky Cat
    8. I'm Still Standing
    9. Song For Guy
    10. Bennie & The Jets

Four of those are from GYBR, which remains in my Top 10 albums of all time.

You are so lucky FP, The Man simply is amazing.

EL, I have seen Elton about 15 times over the past 15 years or so, and each concert was more special than the one before. He is a fantastic singer, piano player and songwriter-a very very talented man. I heard recently that he and Billy Joel are going to tour again. I did see them together once, and really enjoyed it, so I hope to see them again on this tour.
    I hope you have a chance to see Elton in concert one day-you will have a ball!

Thanks Stars. I hope so too. I've seen him perform live on TV and he is really amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    EL, I have seen Elton about 15 times over the past 15 years or so, and each concert was more special than the one before. He is a fantastic singer, piano player and songwriter-a very very talented man. I heard recently that he and Billy Joel are going to tour again. I did see them together once, and really enjoyed it, so I hope to see them again on this tour.
    I hope you have a chance to see Elton in concert one day-you will have a ball!
    Wow, that's a lot of times! That beats my Springsteen concert count I'm sure (although I've actually lost count at this point, I don't think it can be 15.) I saw Elton and Billy a few years ago in Madison Square Garden, and loved it as well. I'm more of a BJ fan, and had seen him several times before solo--once on a grand New Year's Eve show on Long Island.

I'm a long time Elton fan! I saw him this fall in concert, just him & his piano for almost 3 hours. He didn't take a break. You appreciate his talent even more when you see him perform without any band or backup singers. Quite a thrill!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I have never seen him but sure would love to. I understand that Nigel Olsen is still with him on this tour and I always loved him from as far back as the 70's when he was playing with Elton.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I have never seen him but sure would love to. I understand that Nigel Olsen is still with him on this tour and I always loved him from as far back as the 70's when he was playing with Elton.
    NOW, I will ask the question...because I don't feel like googling--who's Nigel Olsen, other than a Brit? (All Nigels I've ever heard of are, aren't they?)

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Nigel Olsen was/is the guitarist for Elton back in the good ol days with Bernie Taupin (song writer extraordinaire) and evidently now! Cool! I loved Nigel Olsen back then *G*