Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ticket Prices

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Ticket Prices

I saw that they were doing that and thought it was pretty cool! My city isn't listed though.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Never say Eagles tickets are "cheap"....That's all Irving has to hear & the prices will go UP EVEN HIGHER. Eagles tickets aren't cheap.That's for sure!
    If the Stones have to lower their prices, it means they are just so totally out of control, which they are.
    You didn't understand what I was saying. I said in comparison, Eagles tickets look cheap. Not that they are... The Stones' prices make Eagles prices look cheap. Which they obviously do. That's what I meant. It's also been said in another thread (the same comparison).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    You didn't understand what I was saying. I said in comparison, Eagles tickets look cheap. Not that they are... The Stones' prices make Eagles prices look cheap. Which they obviously do. That's what I meant. It's also been said in another thread (the same comparison).
    Austin, I understood exactly what you were saying, but even to hear "cheap" & "Eagles" in the same sentence would give Irving a heart attack.
    Obviously it was a joke, Austin!

Here's an interesting article from the NY Times magazine today. I can't say I agree that tickets are underpriced, but it does provide some good insight as to why prices have gone up so much in recent years. So frustrating for a fan of average means to try to go to big name concerts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

goes with the article I read about kid rock in the friday june 7th wall street journal about the economics of tourning.
    a great article and it really should give other artists something to think about

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Wow, this is sure to create some comments, but I agree, of course. The cheaper the ticket, the more competition there is to buy, and so the only hope a person has of getting a good ticket is through StubHub. Pay the same price either way, it's just that with scalping the money goes to a corporation and some random person's pocket and not the artist's. I don't want to pay inflated prices, but if I do, I much prefer the $$ go to the artists.

But by leaving money on the table, Springsteen and his ilk might be doing their fans an inadvertent disservice. Jared Smith, the president of Ticketmaster North America, told me that the artists who charge the least tend to see the most scalping. Springsteen and others have angrily denounced scalping at their shows, but their prices are guaranteeing the very existence of that secondary market, which has become ever more sophisticated over the years. Many scalpers now use computer programs to monopolize ticket buying when seats go on sale, which forces many fans to buy from resellers. One of the surest ways to eliminate scalping, Smith told me, is to charge a more accurate price in the first place.
    The above is what VIP and Official Platinum is trying to do. VIP is non-transerable for any reason and non-refundable after 24 hours. What amazes me is that TM sells their Official Platinum on StubHub for hundreds of dollars more. Same seats. $220 face value, $425 on Official Platinum, $625 on StubHub. They wouldn't do that if people weren't buying them, but some people just assume good seats are gone and go to StubHub first.

If people really want to stop this, instead of complaining about it, write your state reps and senators, write to your US Reps and Senators. Get the laws changed. There will still be scalping, but the industry would take a serious hit.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

It all just makes my head hurt.

I loved reading the comments after the article also. People are disgusted but still pay the prices.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, so last year I bought Live Nation stock when Irving joined on....Well, Irving is gone for awhile now, but the stock is up 74% in the past 12 months...Now I wish I bought more of it!

Out on the Border tjrrockandrollmaster's Avatar

In 1994, Pink Floyd had the cheapest ticket prices and outsold The Eagles and Stones in tickets but The Rolling Stones had to charge double of what Floyd were charging. Even the late Rick Wright took shots at The Eagles and Stones "who wants to pay $100 for nostalgia whereas we have new material and music to play plus a new album".

Strange that David Gilmour turned down $300 million for a Pink Floyd reunion. Genesis lost money on their reunion in 2007 (they don't need it).

I've seen in last four years Judas Priest ($70), Roger Waters play The Wall ($100 a piece in 201 and $80 for 2012 performance) and The Who was $50.

I've retired from concert going as my Autism has manifested itself in recent months and bright lights and noise bothers me.
    How I wish, how I wish you were here.

The three surviving Pink Floyd members (Nick Mason, Roger Waters and David Gilmour) and the Pink Floyd co-founders and key figures who have gone to their rest (Richard "Rick" Wright, "Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett and longtime manager Steve O'Rourke (who managed the band until his 2003 death, God bless them all).

Quote Originally Posted by tjrrockandrollmaster View Post
    In 1994, Pink Floyd had the cheapest ticket prices and outsold The Eagles and Stones in tickets but The Rolling Stones had to charge double of what Floyd were charging. Even the late Rick Wright took shots at The Eagles and Stones "who wants to pay $100 for nostalgia whereas we have new material and music to play plus a new album".

Strange that David Gilmour turned down $300 million for a Pink Floyd reunion. Genesis lost money on their reunion in 2007 (they don't need it).

I've seen in last four years Judas Priest ($70), Roger Waters play The Wall ($100 a piece in 201 and $80 for 2012 performance) and The Who was $50.

I've retired from concert going as my Autism has manifested itself in recent months and bright lights and noise bothers me.
    Well, to be fair, the prices you are describing really depends on the seats you are getting & the venue... When I saw the Who in Dec, there were no $50. seats. They also a VIP package with seats $500-$900.
    All seats in the orchestra were over $200, & some went in the thousands.
    I paid over $100. to sit on the first level up.
    My friend saw Roger Waters 2012 & seats were $125. & they were in the upper level at Yankee Stadium.