Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reposting of copyrighted content from online articles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reposting of copyrighted content from online articles

Many of you may have heard that our fellow fan site, The Fastlane, has been hit with a lawsuit because of a review from an online publication re-posted on their website.

I'm asking that no one do this in the future here, and that if you have done it in the past, you go back and edit the posts to the link and your own commentary.

I'd do it myself but I'm in the midst of moving - the movers come in a few hours - and I simply cannot do it for you at this point. I need your cooperation.

Thanks to those who contacted me about this today, including Melissa and Lisa themselves.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Reposting of copyrighted content

I will work on finding my posts tomorrow. I have no idea what I may have posted over the years. Anyway to delete all my history? just kidding.

That was very decent of Lisa and Melissa to contact you. I can't imagine how scary that is. I mean, these are fansites, for fun and friendship... you don't think you are going to get in trouble for posting a review and including a link.

Thanks for giving us the direction to edit the posts.

Default Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Reposting of copyrighted content

You can do an advanced search within your own posts - use the search term "http://www." and that will find all your posts with links in them.

Or, you could just go back and look over the review and press threads, where almost all of this takes place.

Just delete the text you copied and pasted and leave the link. Thanks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Reposting of copyrighted content from online articles

WOW--Just WOW!!! I'll do my best!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Reposting of copyrighted content from online articles

Should be interesting to see how that lawsuit goes. My understanding was that only individuals were liable for their posts and that the internet hosts were protected by an act of Congress:

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-gui...ns-decency-act

I hate to ask, but in the meantime what about copyrighted concert videos? Do you want these removed too?

I don't think Soda's going to be available for the next few hours while she's moving, so let's do just the ones she's requesting to be removed for now - the articles only.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Wow! That is terible news. I hope this is helpful.

Written permission from the person holding the copyright is often required to reproduce copyrighted material.

Without a note or letter--or an e-mail, from the owner of a copyright; I wouldn't advise anyone to run anything on a website that might be someone else's copyrighted material--, including any videographic or photographic items.
    This is to stay clear of anything someone might claim was their own.

You can run your own personally written reviews (writtten by you), personally taken photos (photos taken by you),--whatever--because you are the person with the copyright to your own original created works. (That is, unless you transfer or sell your own right to your own original created works to somebody else, officially).
    (For example, if someone else took a picture, they are who own the copyright to the photographic image, unless they sell or transfer their copyright to someone else; a company, for example. In this same example, after a transfer of copyright from an original photographer to a company, the company would subsequently own the copyright to reproducting copies of the photographic image instead of the photographer who took the picture originally).
    Copyright is approximately the right to copy, reproduce, duplicate or distribute copies of something.

There are any real-life exceptions to the written permission guideline--sometimes this would include small excerpts or phrases credited to the copyright owner; which may be related to another person's original work; but are not, in addition, an integral (core-level) re-use of the other person's work.
    There are broader guidelines for articles written by and for academia, for instance--but there's no real certainty of a judge's decision in any case.

If there's some real question of any copyright violation, first immediately offer to remove and rescind anything that could cause anyone any harm of any kind.

The U.S. Copyright Office has a website with general information topics to browse through at www.copyright.gov, but I don't know what it says about the online realm. You can order free government circulars about copyrights.
    Last edited by Lisa; 07-09-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I have deleted as much as I can of photos which were on other sites.

Hopefully I have caught any of the articles I posted. I usually just post the link so there weren't too many.

Thank you to those who posted more information which helps us to better understand what is going on.

Nancy, hope your move is hassle free!

WOW! I hope I have now deleted all in the press and reviews threads ! I was very busy with it!LOL
    If anyone notices I missed an article, please let me know. Thanks!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)