Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Songs you wished you could switch lead vocals

Border Desperado

Default Re: Songs you wished you could switch lead vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Agreed.

For those who think the topic became about Glenn I can only apologise. I think I have made my feelings clear on this point & will not pursue it.

As I am the only person who has mentioned the shamefully neglected Long Road Out Of Eden, I might suggest that Tim could have sung I Love To Watch A Woman Dance. There! I suggested someone else sing one of Glenn's.
    To kind of piggyback on the LRoOE theme, I think I like the arrangement of How Long from the 1973 Voorburg show better, with I think all 4 of the guys singing solo parts. I know for sure, Glenn, Don and Randy all sing parts, and I think Bernie sings some lead on it toward the end. Randy leads the "Everybody feels alright, you know I heard some poor fool sing....". I would love to have seen Tim tackle that or maybe Joe in the studio version.

Stuck on the Border

I don't know how this got to be all about Glenn. I did state songs I would have loved to hear him sing. So, I guess I was one of the guilty parties. As I stated in my previous thread, I would have loved for Randy, Bernie, Joe and Tim all have more lead vocals. That is what I liked about the first two albums and what I think made the Eagles special. All those guys who could have been lead singers in any other band.

Stuck on the Border

Threads tend to go off-topic a bit in every forum I've ever been in. I don't know why this Glenn thing irritated so much, but it's over now and we're back on track.
    Last edited by chaim; 09-08-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I don't know how this got to be all about Glenn. I did state songs I would have loved to hear him sing. So, I guess I was one of the guilty parties. As I stated in my previous thread, I would have loved for Randy, Bernie, Joe and Tim all have more lead vocals. That is what I liked about the first two albums and what I think made the Eagles special. All those guys who could have been lead singers in any other band.

After listening to more and more of Randy's songs lately, i really wish he'd gotten more lead time.
    I could have seen him taking on Victim of Love.....and boy I'd love to hear the demos of Felder singing VOL. Since they did it several times with him singing lead.

Border Rebel

There were links posted here at some point to Felder singing VOL live. They weren't bad, but I think the Eagles made the right decision in having Henley sing it on the album. Definitely the right decision.

Most songs I wouldn't change the lead vocals on. Glenn does a credible job on Desperado, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original, IMHO. Ditto for Joe on LITFL. I think Glenn could have done a decent job on LITFL.

For live shows, I would have liked to see Timothy or Don sing TITTL instead of Glenn. Glenn's version is okay, but he doesn't sing high enough for the song. (Again, just my opinion.) Nobody could touch Randy's version.

On the current tour, people have stated some displeasure with the way Vince Gill sings HT. Having Deacon sing it is one option. I think Don could do a great job, but he has enough vocals. Why not give it to Joe? I'd like to hear his version of it, and there's no question it would rock!

I liked both Timothy and Don's live versions of PEF, but still liked Glenn's the best.

I agree that Don likes/liked to sing lead on the songs he wrote most of the lyrics for. And why not? The songs probably have more personal meaning for him. It's hard to imagine anyone else in the band singing TLR or even HC.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    T
    I agree that Don likes/liked to sing lead on the songs he wrote most of the lyrics for. And why not? The songs probably have more personal meaning for him. It's hard to imagine anyone else in the band singing TLR or even HC.
    There was no hint of "he shouldn't have" in my comment. I was only stating one possible reason why he sang more and more.

Felder singing VOL . . . but I think the Eagles made the right decision in having Henley sing it on the album.
    I don't agree. YMMV

Border Desperado

There were links posted here at some point to Felder singing VOL live. They weren't bad, but I think the Eagles made the right decision in having Henley sing it on the album. Definitely the right decision.

Most songs I wouldn't change the lead vocals on. Glenn does a credible job on Desperado, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original, IMHO. Ditto for Joe on LITFL. I think Glenn could have done a decent job on LITFL.

For live shows, I would have liked to see Timothy or Don sing TITTL instead of Glenn. Glenn's version is okay, but he doesn't sing high enough for the song. (Again, just my opinion.) Nobody could touch Randy's version.

On the current tour, people have stated some displeasure with the way Vince Gill sings HT. Having Deacon sing it is one option. I think Don could do a great job, but he has enough vocals. Why not give it to Joe? I'd like to hear his version of it, and there's no question it would rock!

I liked both Timothy and Don's live versions of PEF, but still liked Glenn's the best.

That would be cool to hear, but I was specifically wondering about the version that would have been on HC. I am just so curious as to how that turned out.
    I can't figure out why they didnt include a snippet in the doc. You'd think since they were making the point that it wasn't good enough, they'd have played a bit to show that.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    That would be cool to hear, but I was specifically wondering about the version that would have been on HC. I am just so curious as to how that turned out.
    I can't figure out why they didnt include a snippet in the doc. You'd think since they were making the point that it wasn't good enough, they'd have played a bit to show that.
    Because it was good enough

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Because it was good enough

bingo!!! I think you've hit the nail on the head!!