Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Songs you wished you could switch lead vocals

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Songs you wished you could switch lead vocals

About the "Henley takeover". I'm probably wrong since I don't remember the band mentioning it, but perhaps one of the reasons Don sang more and more is that he was writing more and more of the final lyrics (even when someone else had the initial lyrical idea)? Perhaps it was natural for him to sing the lyrics he had been obsessing over.

Border Desperado

I am a bit puzzled as to how this thread titled, " Songs you wish you could switch lead vocals on" has become all about Glenn being screwed out of singing leads, Glenn's lack of confidence due to his band mates lack of support, and Don hogging all the leads. I can understand maybe one or two posts saying this, but the majority of posts here seem to have gone off topic. I came to this thread thinking it would be about what the title suggests, but it feels like I clicked on the heated "Eagles 3.0" thread, which I avoid at all costs.

Not trying to cause waves, but it seems this thread has gone way off topic.

Anyway, in response to the original thread title, I can't think of any songs I would want to change. I love them just the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

I'm not surprised that the discussion has become about Glenn singing less. I'm not trying to cause waves by any means but the board seems to be going back to what it was originally, a forum for Glenn Frey fans.
    Sometimes in the course of a discussion, things get off-track. I've read a lot of the dissension on here over the past few months and all I have to say is, can't we all get along? We're all Eagles fans. Sure, not everyone is going to agree on everything, and everyone (or many people) have a favorite member of the band, but we're all here because we love this band and its music.

Stuck on the Border

The way to bring a thread back on topic is to post something on that topic. If you don't want it to be all about Glenn, post about one of the others.

Earlier, I posted that I'd like to hear Randy on some of the more rock songs. Has he ever tried Life in the Fast Lane?

I'll do my part to get things back on topic. I'd like to hear Bernie sing "Best of My Love." I think he would sound great on that song.

Border Desperado

I too would love to hear Bernie singing Best of my Love! Not saying that I would necessarily want him to replace Don, as I love the way Don sings it. But it would be interesting to see Bernie give it a whirl.

I absolutely love Randy's voice. I think he too would have done a great job on BOML, as I think his voice would be perfect for that song.

Quote Originally Posted by VillageGirl View Post
    Anyway, in response to the original thread title, I can't think of any songs I would want to change. I love them just the way they are.
    I pretty much love the songs the way they are, too. Although if Randy had more leads, I could live with that.

That being said, in an alternate universe, I could see Glenn or Randy singing "Nightingale." Also, Randy singing "Saturday Night." As I posted in the Bernie forum, it would be interesting hearing his version of "Hollywood Waltz", "Tequila Sunrise" and "The Last Resort." I realize Bernie wasn't around when TLR was recorded, but this is an alternate universe after all. I continue to be curious about Don F's "Victim of Love." I would like to hear that.

AFAIK, Randy hasn't performed LITFL. He said in an interview that he contributed some guitar parts and I often wondered if that short guitar bridge in LITFL was something he came up with.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Desperado

In an alternate universe, I would love to hear Randy, Glenn, and Bernie on more leads! Randy singing ICTYW would be incredible to hear.

For some reason, I am drawing a complete blank on Nightingale. It has been awhile since I listened to it. Delilah, you inspired me to give it a listen again

Yay! I'm sure you'll enjoy re-hearing it, VG. To me, Randy's backing vocal is what sets it apart from other versions, even Jackson's original.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    About the "Henley takeover". I'm probably wrong since I don't remember the band mentioning it, but perhaps one of the reasons Don sang more and more is that he was writing more and more of the final lyrics (even when someone else had the initial lyrical idea)? Perhaps it was natural for him to sing the lyrics he had been obsessing over.
    Agreed.

For those who think the topic became about Glenn I can only apologise. I think I have made my feelings clear on this point & will not pursue it.

As I am the only person who has mentioned the shamefully neglected Long Road Out Of Eden, I might suggest that Tim could have sung I Love To Watch A Woman Dance. There! I suggested someone else sing one of Glenn's.