Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Barren Years Post HFO Years

Border Desperado

Default Re: The Barren Years Post HFO Years

Thanks. I never was sure if that was it or not.
    It seems there was always talk of a new album ever since 94 when they got back together.

It's like in Farwell 1, when Don talks about them supposed to go into the studio to start recording a new album on Sept 11, 2001, but that they didn't, and didn't for a while after, but they wrote Hole in the World, did they just forget about an album altogether, or did that eventually become LROOE?

You never know with them.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    Thanks. I never was sure if that was it or not.
    It seems there was always talk of a new album ever since 94 when they got back together.

It's like in Farwell 1, when Don talks about them supposed to go into the studio to start recording a new album on Sept 11, 2001, but that they didn't, and didn't for a while after, but they wrote Hole in the World, did they just forget about an album altogether, or did that eventually become LROOE?

You never know with them.
    I think that album became LROOE. It did take them about 6 years to finished. Glenn also wrote No More Cloudy Days when Farewell 1 came out, but was part of the LROOE album.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I think that album became LROOE. It did take them about 6 years to finished. Glenn also wrote No More Cloudy Days when Farewell 1 came out, but was part of the LROOE album.
    That's right, they performed that song on the video.
    I always wondered why Joe's song, "One Day at a Time" never made it on an Eagles album. Unless he just needed it too bad for his solo album.

Border Rebel

If my memory is correct on this, the Eagles had started working on a new album before 2000. It had a working title of AT THE END OF THE DAY and was supposed to be a combination of new material and carefully chosen covers. Paul Carrack was rumored to be contributing material and I believe a Richard Thompson song was being considered. This was all while Don Felder was still in the band. Apparently, the whole project never got off the ground and it would appear that anything that was recorded was scrapped. The overall consensus at the time was that the songs were just not jelling properly. I don't recall the timeline as to how close this was to Felder's exit, but I'm guessing it wasn't too long before.

Stuck on the Border

Felder wrote about an unsuccessful attempt to record a new album in 1999. At the end of the year, they played three shows (The Millenium concerts). Felder was fired in February 2001. They started touring again on 29th May 2001.

ETA: I've looked at Felder's book and I'm a bit confused. He writes about an unsuccessful attempt to record an album (including Glenn singing "I love to Watch a Woman Dance" which Felder says was suggested by Henley). He also mentions Henley being almost finished on his latest solo record (which was released in May 2000), Felder later writes about a plan to record in 1999 . It's not clear if these are two different plans.

The timeline I have worked out is

August 1996 - End of HFO tour
    January 1998 - RRHOF induction
    June 1998 - Tiger Jam (other Eagles join Glenn for part of his set for this charity event)
    November (?) 1998 - Glenn's 50th Birthday weekend with the band playing for guests
    1999 - attempt to agree terms for recording new album, Felder decides his marriage is over
    December 1999 - Millenium shows
    2000 - Felder tells his wife it's over. Contractual negotiations about Selected works release including Millenium concert
    February 2001 - Felder is fired
    May 2001 - Eagles tour for first time in almost 5 years
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 08-17-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Stuck on the Border

UTW - That sounds correct to me. Having also read Don F's book, it seemed some of his information was jumbled and out of sequence but yours sounds right.

Quote Originally Posted by scottside
    If my memory is correct on this, the Eagles had started working on a new album before 2000. It had a working title of AT THE END OF THE DAY and was supposed to be a combination of new material and carefully chosen covers.
    I remember that Glenn said the Eagles were thinking of doing an album of covers of artists that influenced them. This was between After Hours and History of the Eagles. At least I think that was the timing of it. I definitely remember him talking about such a project. Perhaps it was when he performed Buffalo Springfield's "On the Way Home" at a solo show.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I remember that Glenn said the Eagles were thinking of doing an album of covers of artists that influenced them. This was between After Hours and History of the Eagles. At least I think that was the timing of it. I definitely remember him talking about such a project. Perhaps it was when he performed Buffalo Springfield's "On the Way Home" at a solo show.
    I recall that incident because I was at one of the AFTER HOUR shows in which Glenn made mention of that (and I thought he did a killer version of "On The Way Home)" but the time period I referenced was way earlier and the songs they were going to cover were by people like Paul Carrack and Richard Thompson. There may have been others mentioned, but I can't remember the specifics. Carrack was no surprise actually since he worked with Timothy previously, but Thompson seemed unexpected although he has written a lot of great songs. I think the idea was to get a new album out and there weren't too many completed original songs lying around then. It's nearly 20 years ago now though so my mind is not quite as sharp as it used to be!