Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    with no effort being made to keep his memory alive.
    No effort by who? His family? His friends? His bandmates? Fans? How can you say this about people you don't know? How do you know what they are doing? What effort would you want to see happening to keep his memory alive?

This is what I object to - a blanket statement denigrating other's actions or inaction with no supporting facts. Yes, we know they haven't had a proper tribute concert on your timeline. That is not something that would keep his memory alive, it is a one-time show.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    No effort by who? His family? His friends? His bandmates? Fans? How can you say this about people you don't know? How do you know what they are doing? What effort would you want to see happening to keep his memory alive?

This is what I object to - a blanket statement denigrating other's actions or inaction with no supporting facts. Yes, we know they haven't had a proper tribute concert on your timeline. That is not something that would keep his memory alive, it is a one-time show.
    Actually, as I have said on numerous occasions, a tribute show, a one time show, would have satisfied me. Really, that's all I wanted. Contrary to how you may perceive me, I don't want those involved to be endlessly mourning. Life goes on. If they had made one grand gesture, as I said in a previous post, perhaps I could have accepted the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    One doesn’t have to display blind adulation to be considered a fan – just a love and appreciation for the music these amazingly talented men created should be the only requirement.
    Amen, Dreamer!

I am, and always will be, an Eagles fan.

I have been one of the people willing to shell out ridiculous amounts of money in the past to see the Eagles. And it was worth every penny.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    FWIW I read the entire thread you linked and found myself wishing I had joined Borderers earlier because it's clear I missed out on some important convos and events.
    Just took a quick glance at the old thread and read my post from 2009, where I'm all pissed off that the best (non-VIP) tickets now cost $216!

Reading it now is both funny and sad.

As I mentioned earlier, though, it is interesting to note that there has obviously been a big change in how this band feels comfortable constructing their pricing tiers, when you compare this tour to the Eagles' HOTE. Terribly ironic.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Dreamer -

Of course people can criticize the band members, that has been happening since I joined this board and probably since the very beginning. It is the very lifeblood of this board, I say!

I do believe its fair to debate the merits of the particular criticism, though, and whether it is warranted. Sometimes the criticism stems from perceptions of the situation that aren't based on facts or reality, but are based in emotion and anger. It's hard to let those criticisms pass without questioning them. Everyone on here should be able to express their emotions and receive unconditional commiseration and support. But when those emotions are turned around and projected as bad behavior by the guys, I question it.

To me, the sad thing is that all of these wonderful things are happening now for the guys (note I'm not saying the Eagles, I don't care what we call them) I mean Don, Tim and Joe - the epic radio channel the content of which is 99% pre-Glenn's death, the tour, who knows what else to come, and fans on here cannot celebrate these things and reject them outright as not being legitimate - I don't even know what that means. This is what I mean by reality vs. emotion. I never thought I'd see that here.

I think that is the very fundamental underlying issue that results in the tone you are noticing, and it is so unfortunate. But, there has always been pretty heated debate here (usually relating to Felder LOL)
    MC – Since you directed this post at me, I go ahead and give you my thoughts about your comments. There were some posts earlier in the thread where you and others complained about others calling the band ‘greedy’, so I’m assuming that is the criticism whose merits you wish to debate. Your complaint is that you feel that criticism ‘stems from perceptions of the situation that aren't based on facts or reality, but are based in emotion and anger’.

I get what you are saying and I even agree that our perceptions on this topic aren’t based on facts; however, I believe that applies to everyone on both sides of this discussion. To my way of thinking, any discussion about ticket prices and, by extension, the debate over whether fans choose to pay these prices has to be based solely on opinions and emotion because none of us are privy to facts or reality here. So should that preclude us from discussing our opinions about these situations? On this question, I agree with those that say it is entirely appropriate for fans to have opinions and judge the band as we are the consumers of their product. To specifically address the issue of greed, since we don’t know these men, the only facts that we are able to prove or disprove is that some believe the band is being greedy and others do not. These are unquestionably judgments based perception on all sides. But, as the old saying goes, ‘perception is reality’. What each of us perceives as being true often becomes more of a reality than if it is in fact true. Therefore, the only criticisms that bother me personally is when someone judges the band unfairly with a blatant disregard for known facts or posts designed solely for the purpose of trashing the band, upsetting fans, or being nasty and rude.

Honestly, I don’t recall any one telling other fans here that they cannot celebrate the band in its current incarnation. In fact, there are lots of active threads on the board to do just that where participation is, and should be, optional. My view is that most members have tried to be respectful and try not to be spoilers in those threads. The issue of legitimacy seems to be off-topic from the original subject of this thread, but I’ll go there since it has come up here. With regard to those of us who do not see this lineup as legitimate, that is based on emotion for sure. But, so are everyone’s opinions on this topic. Again, there are no facts to prove one side right or wrong – it’s just how we feel and that is the only justification for any of our viewpoints here. We are all entitled to our feelings. Speaking for myself, the emotions I feel the most are heartache, disappointment, and betrayal based on the comments and expectations the remaining band members set after Glenn’s death. But, to be totally honest, I can’t think of any scenario where I would be okay with the band continuing to tour or record as ‘Eagles’ without Glenn other than what I already mentioned in the 3.0 thread. I don’t want to belabor this or continue to derail this thread though because the reality is we will probably never agree about this. However, my hope is that we will all just respect that other’s feelings and perceptions are just as valid as our own and perhaps that will result in a more positive tone on the board.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

That's very well said, Dreamer, and I like that you're reminding us to respect each other's views and play nice. LOL. We're all here because we love at least some combination of the Eagles, so we should have a common bond in that. However, because of that love, most of us have strong opinions here, and sometimes it's hard to keep anger at bay when someone else's viewpoint is completely opposite to ours and therefore, difficult to understand.

Personally, what makes me the most angry is when people make statements like, "Henley and Walsh (or Henley and Irving or the new Eagles] are greedy hypocrites." (Or something to that effect.) It's not that people have that opinion that bothers me, it's that they state it as though it were fact. I certainly respect people's rights to say what they feel, but I would rather they preceded their opinion with, "I think..." Maybe it's a small thing, but it still matters to me.

As I've said before, I don't argue with the fact that the Eagles care about money. That's nothing new, and at the very least, this has to be a profitable enterprise or it's not worth it. Some of the ticket prices are too high for the average fan, but that's supply and demand, and applies to most of the music industry, not just the Eagles.

With all of that said, however, I believe strongly that the Eagles 3.0 are doing this for other reasons besides money, as well. Joe and Deacon, at least, have said that it's therapeutic for them. In MHO, that comes across on stage and makes the ticket prices sting just a little less.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

To my way of thinking, any discussion about ticket prices and, by extension, the debate over whether fans choose to pay these prices has to be based solely on opinions and emotion because none of us are privy to facts or reality here.

But of course we are privy to the facts and reality regarding ticket prices and fans choosing to pay, this one is easy. The fans have paid since 1994, whatever the record-breaking prices of Eagles tickets. The shows sell out or come close, sometimes multiple nights in one venue. The logical conclusion is that the tickets aren't too expensive, they're just right - this is reality. Those who don't support this incarnation of the band will call them greedy for simply touring under the Eagles name, so the ticket prices are really irrelevant, right? If the top ticket price was $40, they'd still be greedy for using the name

Therefore, the only criticisms that bother me personally is when someone judges the band unfairly with a blatant disregard for known facts or posts designed solely for the purpose of trashing the band, upsetting fans, or being nasty and rude.

We agree on this, Dreamer.

Honestly, I don’t recall any one telling other fans here that they cannot celebrate the band in its current incarnation.

Agreed, this is not an issue for me

Speaking for myself, the emotions I feel the most are heartache, disappointment, and betrayal based on the comments and expectations the remaining band members set after Glenn’s death. But, to be totally honest, I can’t think of any scenario where I would be okay with the band continuing to tour or record as ‘Eagles’ without Glenn other than what I already mentioned in the 3.0 thread. .
    I totally understand and respect this, Dreamer, because this is how you feel. No issues here. Thanks for your reply

Edit: Sorry, I'm not good at replying to multiple sentences in the same post - the sentences in bold are my responses to Dreamer!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

MC – We are, obviously, privy to the fact of the price of the tickets. But, by starting this thread, you were seeking opinions about the prices. You even stated in your opening post that ticket prices have been an issue since 1994. So, to me, it is very unfair to misinterpret the motives of some recent posters here by claiming ‘Those who don't support this incarnation of the band will call them greedy for simply touring under the Eagles name, so the ticket prices are really irrelevant, right? If the top ticket price was $40, they'd still be greedy for using the name.’ If you believe calling the band greedy is a result of this new incarnation, you should check out that thread from 2008 that I linked to earlier.

I also have to disagree that just because shows come close to selling out, that ‘the logical conclusion is that they are not too expensive – that they are just right’. I'm sorry, but if that is the only logical conclusion, then why even start this thread? Your logic implies that only the folks who purchase tickets decide if it was too expensive or not. You even stated in another post ‘Criticizing the band for setting prices to concerts that routinely sell out is not a logical response - that's what I think. I know others disagree, obviously’.

The reality is that those who choose not to go to a show or who want to go, but cannot afford it can have valid, logical conclusions too. We all use our perceptions, value systems, and personal life experiences and circumstances, etc. to form our opinions. Opinions should be based on fact … and the only real fact here is the price of tickets. In this case, we’re not ignoring the fact, but we are judging it to decide whether we choose to go to a show or not.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Personally, what makes me the most angry is when people make statements like, "Henley and Walsh (or Henley and Irving or the new Eagles] are greedy hypocrites." (Or something to that effect.) It's not that people have that opinion that bothers me, it's that they state it as though it were fact. I certainly respect people's rights to say what they feel, but I would rather they preceded their opinion with, "I think..." Maybe it's a small thing, but it still matters to me. .
    Are you able to make your point using something that has actually been said in this thread? No one has actually said the sentence you "quote."

No one has called anyone a hypocrite in this thread.

If you're going to condemn posters here for something they have said in this thread, it matters that you get what they said right.

I''m finally getting a chance to weigh in here. My apologies, in advance, for such a lengthy post, but I am lagging behind here and had a lot of territory to cover. I found an old thread on this same topic that ran from 2008 – 2010 here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=2229

If you read through the thread, you can see that there was a lot of criticism of the band about ticket prices. This is the one thread that I could locate quickly, but I know for sure there are numerous others where the topic has been discussed/debated over the years. While I never liked the amount the band’s exorbitant ticket prices, I still willingly supported them and attended several dozen shows between 2003 – 2015. So, as a hardcore fan who loved these guys and their music, and was willing to pay handsomely to see them, I was, obviously part of the demand. However, I totally respect and understand people who didn't feel the same way as I did. Below is one of my posts that I located in the thread that pretty much sums up how I feel about the topic …
    Thank you for finding that link Dreamer; I stand corrected about past complaints regarding ticket prices. What is notably different is the lack of any sentiment being expressed that the Eagles should not be performing in the first place, nor using the Eagles name. I can only imagine the reaction if someone had chimed in repeatedly about how wrong the band is for continuing on (for whatever reason, without Felder, etc.).

Another thing I believe has changed over the last 20 years is the increasingly disproportionate distribution of wealth in the U.S. – reportedly, as of 2014, the richest 1 percent of our population has more income than the bottom 90 percent. So while demand for the shows may remain high, there is no doubt that there is a shrinking middle class and certainly not the same demographics that attended shows in the 70’s, 80’s, or even the 90’s. When much of the today’s middle class can barely afford necessities, much less the luxury of attending a concert, it’s little wonder to me that this raises increased questions of ethics and unfairness around the pricing issue.
    Very good point.

Finally, the other difference that I noticed while browsing through that old thread is that even though there were lots of disagreements expressed between members, in spite of that, the discussion remained very civil and respectful. What I find very discouraging about our current environment here is the diminished tolerance and respect for differing opinions and viewpoints. Without getting political, perhaps this divisiveness here is just a reflection of our society today. So, I submit that we need to all keep in mind that just because some folks criticize the band, that doesn’t make them fan-haters. One doesn’t have to display blind adulation to be considered a fan – just a love and appreciation for the music these amazingly talented men created should be the only requirement.
    This is a bit perplexing. While I agree with your post, I believe this thread discussion has been civil and respectful, and the OP made a point of saying everyone is welcome to express his or her views, so it’s not just a one-sided dialogue.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...