Page 53 of 88 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in Eagles History

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Today in Eagles History

Thanks everyone! I get the notifications that people are 'liking' it, and when I go to the page I see it, it's just still not in my Newsfeed.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

The Best Of My Love became the guys first number 1 40 years ago today. Wow!! has it been that long.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It sure has been! But, the song is timeless ... like so many of their awesome songs. If it was recorded and released today, it'd probably still be #1.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I heard it twice on the radio last week! It must be a good song! I know I've always loved it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Maybe worse, the destruction of the unused master tapes of Eagles material.
    OMG, what?! I'm not familiar with that event. It's a terrible cultural loss, seriously! Don't tell me Randy's "Wait and See" and Glenn's "Smile" went into oblivion. Was it a deliberate act? Why would they do such a thing. This is worse than when the Spanish burned the Mayan codices.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    OMG, what?! I'm not familiar with that event. It's a terrible cultural loss, seriously! Don't tell me Randy's "Wait and See" and Glenn's "Smile" went into oblivion. Was it a deliberate act? Why would they do such a thing. This is worse than when the Spanish burned the Mayan codices.
    Event isn't the word, NightMistBlue. According to Glenn and Don, the bands policy is to destroy all the unused outtakes.

I'm sure there is stuff that escaped the incinerator, such as the Halveston recordings but it's not surfacing.

I read some of Felder's book on Google Books a couple of days ago and he said the reunion that Glenn failed to show up to, produced some tracks, singling out one written by Frank Symes, from memory. All destroyed although Don said he had a cassette copy of it.

Despite this policy of destruction, Glenn himself has said, probably before the internet era, that there is a complete version of Hotel California in the original key of Em, out there somewhere.

I can vaguely remember a story about Randy losing a treasured, state of the art, tape recorder that never left his side. On the tape was a pre-release version of the entire Desperado album.

It's quite likely that the thief didn't recognize the value of the recordings and recorded over it.

Did Glenn give a reason for this unusual policy? Is it an artistic cleansing or are they paranoid about tapes being stolen and appearing on the bootleg market? Jimmy Page is particularly unlucky in the latter department but he improved his home security rather than adopting a "burn your bridges behind you" ethos.

I googled Eagles Halveston recordings but didn't find anything relevant.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue
    Did Glenn give a reason for this unusual policy? Is it an artistic cleansing or are they paranoid about tapes being stolen and appearing on the bootleg market? Jimmy Page is particularly unlucky in the latter department but he improved his home security rather than adopting a "burn your bridges behind you" ethos.

I googled Eagles Halveston recordings but didn't find anything relevant.
    It's Halverson, my mistake.

Can't believe it's still up.

http://www.billhalverson.com/heider.html

I'm not sure what Glenn thinks but Henley is determined that any substandard material is not for public ears. Selected Works (Fast Lane)???

Oh cool! Thanks for the link. I didn't even know James Taylor had a sister. She has soulful eyes like James.

Maybe we can be slightly hopeful that a few more Eagles songs survived the great purge.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

43 years!!!!!!!!!!! Today's the day Take It Easy was released. What an epic start to an epic career that isn't close to being over!

VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.