Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest song surprise at an Eagles Concert

Border Desperado

Default Biggest song surprise at an Eagles Concert

I know these days, with the internet being what it is, there's very little mystery out there. You know who will or wont be back on favorite TV shows, you know bands set lists and have probably seen much of the concert via You Tube, before you actually go, but one of my fondest memories was of the huge surprise that I got when I saw the Eagles in 1995 on HFO tour.
    I had seen the HFO TV special, bought the VHS, and the cassette tape. Loved it, but I was not crazy about the acoustic Hotel California. I had, however resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't get to hear the original version live.
    When we got to the arena, waiting for the lights to come up, I fully expected to see the same Eagles that I'd seen on TV, sitting on stools, and really expected the same songs, done the same. Needless to say, I was shocked and had goose bumps running up and down my arm when the thunder stopped, and the spot light hits Felder on the double neck....playing the original version of Hotel California!!!!

Default Re: Biggest song surprise at an Eagles Concert

I can only imagine what that must have been like!

For me personally, it was the Doolin Dalton / Desperado Reprise during the History of the Eagles tour. Never in a million years did I EVER think I would hear that live. Holy crap what a moment when that music started up... I got chills!!!! Still do just thinking about it!!!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Bill, my dad (who is also named Bill) had the exact same reaction. He had watched the HFO tv special and was not crazy about the acoustic HC version. He figured that was the version he would hear in concert, and then much to his surprise they started the concert with the original version of HC and he was absolutely thrilled.
    Soda, I loved hearing that song in concert too. I wasn't familiar with the reprise at the time so I had no idea what it was, but it was beautiful and had to look up that song when I got home.
    As for me, hearing The Last Resort last July at Don Henley's solo concert was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Stuck on the Border

BillBailey - When I saw HFO they did the original version of HC. I like both versions but my favorite is the original.

Soda - I love Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise ! One of my favs. Oh how I wish I was able to have seen the HOTE concert. However, things just did not work out.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'd definitely agree that the inclusion of The Last Resort on Don's last tour was a great surprise. I think a lot of people were pleased it was included - It got a standing ovation at the show I went to, the only non-hit to receive one IIRC.

I really wish I'd seen the HOTE tour - I love all of the rare songs that were on the setlist (it was great that the Desperado album was so well represented too) and would have been delighted to hear Doolin-Dalton and the Reprise live. Those Shoes was another excellent and unexpected inclusion, although I've noticed that it always seems to come out for special occasions - as well as the recent Classic shows and the HOTE tour, it was also included in the Millennium Concert (if memory serves it was also played at Long Night at Wrong Beach, although that was on The Long Run tour so less surprising).

Border Troubadour

Both of mine have already been said! I only ever saw the band on HOTE, so it is without question from that Doolin-Dalton and Doolin-Dalton / Desperado (Reprise), and for Don's Cass County tour it was The Last Resort. Never in a million years did I think either would be revived!

Speaking of HOTE, Saturday Night is one of my all-time favourite Eagles songs, so that was also a pleasant surprise. It was especially effective within the manner and ambiance it was played in.

Those Shoes on the HOTE tour.

I am one of those guys who says The Long Run album gets a bad rap. It's almost to the point I can listen to it straight through without skipping. I love it.

But to hear that, as a HUGE fan of that song, was a real treat I won't forget.

One that hasn't been mentioned is "Train Leaves Here This Morning" - but that was more because we never thought we'd see Bernie Leadon onstage with the Eagles again!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Bernie on stage again would be my biggest surprise, for sure! I guess that's not a song though! So, yes, Train!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Yes and we knew he would be there, so perhaps that doesn't quite fit, eh? But I remember not being sure what song he would choose. We were all guessing. Fun times!