Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should bands continue?

Default Re: Should bands continue?

To lighten things up, this is something related that will amuse you...

What if a band's manager decides a band should continue with NONE Of the members in it?

That actually happened with Fleetwood Mac!

In 1974, manager Davis booked a band called Fleetwood Mac for several dates in America. However, the band that showed up was not Mick Fleetwood and co, but four other people!

Davis claimed that HE owned the named Fleetwood Mac, and if he decided to give it to another four guys, he had every right to. A few lawsuits later, Davis was forced to concede that was not the case.

More details in this Rolling Stone story from 1974:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-tour-19740228

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

That's a good one and it's the first time I've heard of it where the original was still active. Failure to establish ownership of a name seems to be a common problem.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree it's up to the bands but as my Dad once said sometimes they do need to retire if their voice is gone as in reference to REO Speedwagon which I agree with him on that one. I've even said about them I would only go see them live if I had a time machine. LOL It's got to be hard though if that's what you've done your whole life so I get why so many are still active including solo artists like Paul McCartney and others. But dealing with members deaths or other reasons they leave is a different issue. And in some cases they have to retire because of their health. However, that is weird of having bands with no original members left in them as I too think that's just a tribute band.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Owning the name to a group can be problematic, too. If a group has incurred a large debt or has many show obligations and the others have left one guy holding the bag, he must scrape together more personnel for shows or manage to pay things off himself.(Depending on how their contract reads. They need a good lawyer.). This happened to John Denver before he went solo.
    Also, fans may think they know who owns a name and be wrong. Country group Alabama was promoted as a foursome by management, including the drummer.
    But the group had hired him as a sideman, and he never even played on their records. He later sued them for group money, saying he was on album covers, etc. I don't think the outcome was publicly disclosed.
    Continuing can sometimes be a complicated legal issue, not just an emotional one.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Isn't it crazy how the two fundamental members of that band, its namesakes, are the drummer and bassist? I think that may be unique in all of rock'n'roll.

As much as I love Stevie and Lindsey, they're not necessary to Fleetwood Mac. Oh, I guess they are commercially at this point, but that's not what I'm talking about. They're not Fleetwood Mac. They are part of its current line-up. Mick and John are the heart of Fleetwood Mac.

John McVie was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, and we fans wondered if the band would continue if he died from it. Thankfully, he went into remission, but it's a black could that hangs over the band. It's a similar situation to Glenn. And, like with Glenn, I would think it wasn't really Fleetwood Mac if they continued without John McVie.

"But can't they just hire a session musician to duplicate his sound?" You might ask. "Wouldn't it sound just fine?"

Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure it would.
    Soda - I respect your thoughts but aren't you contradicting what you said in the Eagles 3.0 thread? Regarding Eagles 3.0 you said,
    My objection had to do with one thing and one thing only: Glenn is fundamental to the Eagles not only in theory but in sound. If he's not there, the band cannot legitimately call themselves the Eagles any longer.

To me, when I watch a video from the Classic showing Vince Gill singing "New Kid in Town", I feel like I'm watching a cover version that happens to have the former Eagles playing on it.
    Wouldn't you feel the same way about Fleetwood Mac if Stevie Nicks were to pass and Sheryl Crow went on tour with them and sang Gypsy, Landslide, etc.?

I agree with your comments regarding Vince Gill singing "New Kid in Town." or anyone singing Glenn's songs. But to me, I felt the same way when Glenn was singing, "Take it to the Limit."

I think the vocals are the key ingredient. If I listen to "Hotel California", it is now missing Glenn, Randy and Don Felder but it sounds like the Eagles - it is the Eagles.

Granted, Stevie and Lindsey didn't come along until later but would you rather see them and Christine perform with different drummers and bassists or see Mick and John with new vocalists?

I certainly enjoyed seeing the Eagles with Glenn more than the 2017 lineup but still think they are Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    Soda - I respect your thoughts but aren't you contradicting what you said in the Eagles 3.0 thread?
    With regard to John, I am contradicting what I wrote there in terms of being fundamental to the sound. That's when I became depressed about John, because I realized I actually had no rational reason to want FM to stop when he passes... he's not an integral part of their sound like Glenn was to the Eagles.

The vocals are more important to the sound, but I don't want Christine, Stevie, and Lindsey to continue with a different drummer and bassist and call it Fleetwood Mac.

There's a musical reason as well an emotional one for the Eagles to stop, but there is NO rational reason for FM to stop when John or Mick dies, so in a way it IS foolish of me to want them to... yet I do. It's futile to say it's wrong for a band to continue without its heart to someone, though, because you can't really explain it on a logical level.

Wouldn't you feel the same way about Fleetwood Mac if Stevie Nicks were to pass and Sheryl Crow went on tour with them and sang Gypsy, Landslide, etc.?
    Good question, because while I would have no problem with the band continuing with new vocalists if she passes, I would want them to stop doing Stevie's songs.

However, I wouldn't have to worry about it. They brought a new girl into the band after Stevie left in the early 90s, and when they went on tour, they asked her to do a Stevie song live. It went over really poorly. I doubt they would make that mistake again.

PS After Christine left, they still did her "duet" songs - Don't Stop and World Turning - but it helped that Lindsey already sang half of those, and it wasn't someone new singing her parts but Stevie pitching in more. Still, signature songs like "Rhiannon" and "Gypsy" are a lot harder for non-Stevies to pull off.

PPS Trivia: Rumor has it that after Christine left, Stevie suggested Sheryl replace her. Sheryl was up for it, Mick was up for it - just another FM lineup change - but Lindsey said "No." Apparently he's not a fan!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well, normally I am not one to stop myself from seeing a band after an original member left. I've seen multiple, and I'll share one story a bit later in the post.

For me though, the Eagles are just different. They are. I could see where some might wonder why, and the honest truth is I don't know. It just doesn't feel right. Not because I feel pressured to think that way, or anything. I just do. The honest truth is, is that I began to appreciate Glenn in recent times, and as bad as that may seem to others, it is what it is. For many years I was very much against the man and hated the way he treated DF. Sadly, it wasn't until after he passed that I began to realize his importance and contribution to the band, and the more I realized he may not have been the devil to the degree I thought and that I saw more and more of DF I didn't like that I couldn't turn my head and just ignore. Trust me when I say there is or was no agenda, it's just how it happened to me.

To get back to other bands, I'll share one band I've seen without original members or even critical members missing and maybe why I went to see them.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - I've actually seen them twice. Slightly different lineups, but both not the classic pre-crash lineup. They play the classics but to me it just feels like a different band and I feel they are keeping the music alive and letting younger people hear this music by the guys still living. The last concert I went to, one original member was left in the band, Gary Rossington. But I also feel it was different because Johnny, Ronnie's younger brother was singing his parts keeping it alive and in the family. It felt better. It still felt like something different but ok.

So you might ask, why do I feel the way I do about Skynyrd keeping the music alive and Johnny filling in for Ronnie in LS, yet I don't like the Eagles continuing with Deacon, Glenn's own son. And the answer is, I haven't the slightest idea. I've thought about it, and maybe it's different because the Eagles were my favorite band of all bands and I held them close. But I could see how I could contradict myself with saying how I feel about LS continuing with a family member, yet not feel the same about the Eagles even if the family is ok with it. I could see where it would be confusing for some to think about, because it is.

The fact is, the Eagles feel different to me and while I'm fine with just about any band continuing, and even feel good about keeping the music alive, I'm just not with the Eagles. Maybe I'll stumble onto the reason at some point but for now I'm as perplexed as anyone else. I realize it must look bad, someone who historically didn't care for Glenn, becoming a Glenn fan after his death and not wanting the band to continue like I do every other band, but it's the truth and I feel it's as honest and legitimate as it can be. It's simply just the way things have happened.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    The fact is, the Eagles feel different to me and while I'm fine with just about any band continuing, and even feel good about keeping the music alive, I'm just not with the Eagles. Maybe I'll stumble onto the reason at some point but for now I'm as perplexed as anyone else. I realize it must look bad, someone who historically didn't care for Glenn, becoming a Glenn fan after his death and not wanting the band to continue like I do every other band, but it's the truth and I feel it's as honest and legitimate as it can be. It's simply just the way things have happened.
    Thank you for writing that (and Nancy, too). Just knowing that others are perplexed is helpful. Sometimes logic and emotion are at odds and it feels better just knowing that others are just as confused.

Stuck on the Border

Procol Harum & Gary Brooker? Fisher's Hammond and Trower's blues playing were a huge part of the original sound, but it seems that for most people Procol Harum is Gary Brooker. On the new album there's not a single lyric by Keith Reid, which is a huge change.

Is it ok that Jeff Lynne performs and records as ELO when there are no band members - just him on the albums and him with backing musicians in concerts?

Martin Barre wasn't on the very first Jethro Tull album, but he was there from the moment (2nd album) they found their own way of doing things to the last recorded album - so is it ok when Ian Anderson performs under the name Jethro Tull without Barre?

There is a huge fight at the moment concerning the two bands with former Yes members in them.
    Last edited by chaim; 07-21-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Should? That's their decision.

Am I interested in seeing them? It's hard for me to say. Usually, if the original members aren't there, then I have no interest in seeing them. Especially if they were one of my favorite bands.

A few:

Eagles, no I won't go.

Aerosmith, no.

Fleetwood Mac, not without with Buckingham and Nicks.

REO Speedwagon, not without Kevin.

ETA: Buffy, just read your post! We saw REO about a year ago and they were awesome!

Journey, no not without Steve Perry.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten