Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 408086878889909192 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Default Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

I have to admit. I didn't like Glenn at first either especially after watching HOTE. I think a lot of people who don't follow the Eagles like for we do didn't like Glenn's attitude and didn't understand how he conducted the Eagles. Glenn got a lot of flake after the HOTE, but for me. Once I've gotten learn more about Glenn, I started to love and appreciate Glenn. He tried his best keep the band happy and keep the band together. I think he did a great job.

I wish I've gotten to know Glenn more and saw him in concert.

I've loved Glenn from the beginning. Sometimes I think he gave up part of himself for the sake of the band. I wish he had sang more and gave himself more credit. I really don't see him as ego driven as it may sometimes come across. He could have sang lead more, played lead guitar more, etc but he didn't. Yes he was a hard task master, but he expected just as much of himself. He gave us everything right to the end. I am thankful Glenn was on this earth and he and Don with the Eagles touched my heart and soul with their poetic lyrics and masterful music.

I came into this fandom knowing nothing about Glenn except that he was the guy who sang "The Heat Is On", "You Belong to the City", and "Smuggler's Blues" and that, judging by Hell Freezes Over, he was the Eagles that had aged the best.

I have told this story before, but I became a hard core in 2005 after seeing Don Henley with Stevie Nicks and thinking I wanted to go buy some more Eagles stuff, then realizing my favorite Eagles stuff was sung by Glenn.

Once I get into something, I go deep. I read everything I could on Glenn, but the thing that really got me besides his voice was how he was in interviews. He NEVER came off as egotistical; indeed he was often self-deprecating. In television interviews, he came off as genuine; in concert videos, he came off as passionate and invested. That passion about music drew me to him but I never was turned off by "ego." Far from it.

He was complex, he was flawed, but he was genius. As UTW said, those who really knew him knew that he while he could be harsh, he was mostly kind. Yes, he had his bad moments, and it's unfortunate that they were aired so publicly. However, those bad moments were far outweighed by the good. I wish more people would care about that.

The deeper I dug with Glenn, the more enamored I became. When I finally was lucky enough to interact with him, he was ever better than I had dreamed.

I've been lucky enough to meet many of my heroes. None of them treated me even close to the way Glenn treated me, nor would I expect them to. After all, I'm a nobody, just another fan in a sea of fans. That's why it was so staggering when Glenn treated me like I was special when I was at one of the lowest points in my life.

I will go ahead and say this here publicly for the first time, knowing that this post is so long that most readers won't make it this far:

I was very depressed in those last years at Purdue ( 2005-2008 ). In 2004, I received a high pass on my prelims and everyone expected great things of me, but in 2005, it all came to screeching halt. I was at a standstill on my dissertation. With the stress, the weight started to pile on, and soon I weighed more than I had ever weighed in my life. I saw my life spiraling out of control and I blamed myself for not being strong enough to pull out of it. Oh, I wore a smile; I was bubbly and cheerful, always joking around. Very few people knew that I actually hated myself. I felt like a fat, ugly failure, and it wasn't getting better. Every day felt like just another opportunity to fail at life. And it was THEN, it was THEN that Glenn was kind to me.

Thank you, Glenn. Thank you so much for not caring that I wasn't sexy, not caring that I wasn't "cool", not caring that I was an outsider; thank you for making me feel like I was worth something when I felt so worthless.

Sadly, I never told Glenn any of that. I wish I had. I started to many times - that unfinished letter is on my hard drive and I can't bring myself to delete it.

No, Glenn will not be forgotten. Not by me. Never.

He was a man; take him for all in all. I shall not look upon his like again.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Nancy, your post brought me to tears. We truly don't know what is going on behind a sunny exterior. I believe that I also "shall not look upon his like again" and I never even met him. You are so fortunate to have met him and I'm so glad that his kindness helped you so greatly.

I'm sure he knew that he was very special to you even though he didn't know what you were going through and how he helped you. I witnessed his recognition of you (and a few others) at his second concert in Niagara Falls in 2011. You could tell that he told that little story about you following him around the golf course at Pebble Beach in less than ideal golfing weather not just because he happened to recognize you, but because he knew that you were not an ordinary fan and he was not just a "rock star" to you. He wouldn't have gone out of his way to meet with you otherwise.

I'm glad that your dark days are over. You sure are looking good, girl!

I agree, LGG. And Soda, your post made me cry. Although I never met him or even saw a concert, my experience was much the same.
    I think growing up small in a tough town left him with a sometimes gruff exterior that is often misunderstood. People make snap judgements based on incomplete information. Even the doc didn't allow Glenn to explain his actions. Such as the band's attempt to reunite in '90. He told Nicky Horne that he was planning on getting married, he wanted to take her to Europe, and start a family--it just wasn't a good time. It looked like he just blew them off. If folks would delve deeper they would find a man much different than he is often portrayed. As Bernie said, they had a lot to deal with, and did the best they could.
    I think many would be surprised at all the stories out there of folks he helped in ways big and small. No, he didn't toot his own horn, but I will! He said he wanted to play music because he wanted to make people happy. And he did--millions of them.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Soda, your post got me teared up too. I too have dealt with depression as well as bad anxiety for most of my life so I understand all too well. From everything I've read since Glenn passed and yours and others posts he sounded so kind and was a good person and wanted his vision of his band to happen. He did have his faults but everyone does. I knew bit and pieces over the years with my parents being fans but even they never talked about any of the bad stuff or viewed any of them badly. I learned things as I grew up and in the HOTE doc but I seem to have a good judge of character with people in general but especially with my favorite celebrities and fictional characters. There was something about Glenn that first made me love his voice as a toddler and then when I actually saw him during "Hell Freezes Over" on TV in 1994. Maybe it was also because he was my Mom's favorite but I trust my intuition and why he because a favorite of mine.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Soda, what a beautiful post about Glenn, brought me to tears too. I'm also sure that he knew how special he was to you, he wouldn't have reached out to you otherwise. How wonderful that he treated you so good when you needed it most.

This is weird, Smugglers Blues just came on my radio........

Your words here are perfect: "He NEVER came off as egotistical; indeed he was often self-deprecating. In television interviews, he came off as genuine; in concert videos, he came off as passionate and invested. That passion about music drew me to him but I never was turned off by "ego." Far from it.

He was complex, he was flawed, but he was genius. As UTW said, those who really knew him knew that he while he could be harsh, he was mostly kind."

Yes, Glenn was the leader of the band and sometimes people disagreed with what the leader decided. But someone had to make a stand or they couldn't have gone on. I believe he always took his decisions to heart and tried to do what was best for the band. It wasn't always popular, but in the end he knew what was best. So many have told of his kindnesses and I believe they far outweighed the harshness.

Gone, but never forgotten.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Soda, thank you for sharing your story. To me, you look good in the photo you had taken with Glenn at Niagara.

I was reminded of this comment from Randy:
    "Glenn, with his playing and his personality, he was one special person. He was the frontman on stage. He was a good talker and really good with people. I was more shy, staying in the background," Meisner said.
    From numerous stories, it seems that Glenn was more interested in hearing about other people and their lives than talking about himself. Even when describing his own experiences, he would often relate them to his audience. I'm not sure I'm expressing this well, so I'll give an example.

In one interview, Glenn was asked if as a teenager he dreamed of being so successful. His answer was "Of course, doesn't everyone?" and I was transported back to the age when I thought I could do anything if only I wanted it enough. A more typical celebrity answer is along the lines of "never in my wildest dreams did I believe that a poor boy from back-of-beyond could make it so big" and that makes it all about the star who through his talent and luck has made it to the big time. I'm still not expressing this well, but one answer is inclusive and the other is exclusive.

Bringing over a few pictures of Glenn's family from the KCH here.

Cindy with Don, Joe and Timothy
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 12-05-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Beautiful family! I'm amazed at how much Deacon looks like Glenn!

I'm also thinking he has his hair!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten