3. The Ties That Bind
    4. No Surrender
    5. Out in the Street
    6. My Love Will Not Let You Down
      (Sign Request)
    7. Hungry Heart
      (Sign Request)
    8. Long Tall Sally
      (Little Richard cover) (Sign Request, Tour Premiere)
    9. Wrecking Ball
    10. Darkness on the Edge of Town
    11. American Skin (41 Shots)
    12. Youngstown
    13. The Promised Land
    14. Mary's Place
    15. Candy's Room
    16. She's the One
    17. Downbound Train
    18. I'm on Fire
    19. Because the Night
      (Patti Smith Group cover)
    20. The Rising
    21. Badlands
    22. Thunder Road
    23. Jungleland
    24. Born to Run
    25. Dancing in the Dark
    26. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
    27. Shout
      (The Isley Brothers cover)
    28. Bobby Jean

Wow! What a night! I wasn't sure if I was really a Springsteen concert person because while I consider myself a fan I don't have that many of his albums. Most of the first few songs weren't familiar to me, but I especially liked American Land with its Celtic rhythms, a paean to the immigrants who contributed so much to the USA. (I am not making any political points. I just enjoyed the song, and I will say the same about American Skin (41 Shots) and Youngstown.

Bruce was in superb voice throughout. He is a much more powerful & emotive singer than he was in his young, scruffy days. He put so much emotion into songs like I'm On Fire & Downbound Train, while making the crowd just enjoy themselves in No Surrender. How he did Hungry Heart, where the audience sang the first verse & then he crowd surfed while still singing, I don't know. He did a few songs without a guitar and I have to say that as a guitarist he is more the Guitar George from Sultans Of Swing type, meaning strictly rhythm for the most part. The famous Telecaster was swung around to great effect.

So I finally got to see Roy Bittan who added so much to the Making Movies album by Dire Straits, and the other legendary members Steven Van Zandt (I don't feel enough of an insider to call him 'Little Stevie' though he is certainly short), Max Weinberg, Nils Lofgren & Mrs Springsteen, Patti Scialfa. Then of course we had Clarence Clemons' nephew Jake on sax. He was excellent.

I was surprised by the cover versions. I loved Long Tall Sally because Little Richard or not, it's a Beatles song to me. I was less convinced by (Meet Me At) Mary's Place by Sam Cooke. Shout was a bit predictable. I was getting tired by then. You will note that Because The Night is listed as a Patti Smith cover! Bruce wrote it! It was a highlight!

Of the really famous songs I am not sure why he closed with Bobby Jean, a song which I regard as ordinary, but I could hardly complain after the stirring versions of No Surrender, Downbound Train & I'm On Fire. Downbound Train, a song I have always loved, was a personal highlight. Badlands was awesome. Of the Born To Run songs, Candy's Room was a surprise. I have always struggled with Jungleland but it worked pretty well. Thunder Road featured a superb performance by the audience on the first verse, whjich Bruce said was 'very good' .Born To Run itself was just a mesmeric, joyous trip.

Default Re: Concerts

Sounds like a great concert. I hope one day I get to see him, too. He puts on quite a show, obviously!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I share your enthusiasm. As I get older I prefer smaller venues and I almost did not go to Bruce's concert at Giants stadium (aka Met Life sStadium). It was fantastic and over 4 hours long. When he sang Wrecking Ball "Mosquitos grow as big as airplanes... And Giants play their games" the crown went wild as we were on the site the song is about. His energy and enthusiasm were unbelievable. He can be soulful and intense on some songs and has fun with others. He includes the audience in the songs. It was a hometown crowd who got all the references to Jersey sites and experiences, especially when he sang " down the shore everything is alright" from Tom Waite's jersey girl. The combo of his music, lyrics and personality is magical.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Fp, thanks for your review! Sounds like a great show!

My brother is a huge fan of his and has been to more of his shows than I can count and just thinks he's fantastic. I like some of his songs, but I'm not that big of a fan.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Had a great time seeing Lindsay Ell again!!! I posted in the Upcoming Concerts thread that it was a bit spur of the moment but our local country radio station here in Columbus teamed up with her as she's doing these pop up shows to celebrate her debut album "The Project" coming out in between her tour dates with Brad Paisley. It was great and she sounded amazing performing acoustically. Such a great guitar player. We also got her new album there as they were selling them for only $5 and she autographed them all for us during the meet & greet. I posted my pic with her on my Twitter (same username as here if anyone wants to see). Also told her how my brother and I last saw her in Nashville during CMA 2 years ago and she loved hearing that. This was actually my 3rd time seeing her and her new album is fantastic. She also revealed there too that she also recorded an entire cover album of John Mayer's "Continuum", which her record producer Kristian Bush from the band Sugarland had her record as an experiment before recording her debut album, and it'll be out later this year.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Sounds like a great concert. I hope one day I get to see him, too. He puts on quite a show, obviously!
    Just an FYI regarding Bruce Springsteen ... he's coming to Broadway in October at the Walter Kerr theater just 960 seats. More info below at link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/a...-concerts.html

Stuck on the Border

I saw Queen & Adam Lambert last night. As I have no wish to derail any more Eagles topics, I will make a few comments here.

When I booked for it last June, I had only been out of hospital for a few months. My reasoning was that I should go & see as many shows as I could, in case something else happened to me. I was very dubious about seeing this, and worried that I may be considered a hypocrite.

Well, I have to say that I wondered about the point of it all. I wonder why Brian May & Roger Taylor still cling to this. They are talented men; surely they could still be creative in other ways. May has his astronomy career & dedication to preservation of wildlife, apart from anything else. They are not keeping the memory of Freddie Mercury alive just by having Adam Lambert sing his songs.

Let me make it clear; Lambert is flamboyant, camp, a show pony - everything Freddie was, but he doesn't really have the vocal chops or versatility. I found his voice too light for the hard rock songs & not really suitable for the (few) ballads. He was best on songs like Get Down Make Love & I Want It All. He was wrong for Bohemian Rhapsody. At least they used the iconic middle section of the video so they would not have to pretend to sing it. To be fair, he doesn't pretend to be Freddie, but he just doesn't measure up.

It's a fact that my own highlight was the wonderful I'm In Love With My Car, sung by Taylor. At least it was HIS SONG. He also tried to sing Bowie's Under Pressure part, and A Kind Of Magic - and both fell flat. But at least he had played on the records. Similarly, May's attempt at Love Of My Life failed, because the audience DIDN'T KNOW IT. Well, I knew it, but I bought A Night At The Opera when it was released.

So I'm afraid that replacements are not my thing. It was not enough for me to watch May & Taylor & try & pretend that was Queen. I enjoyed it, because I love those songs. But that's all.

It is somewhat ironic that I am about to see two sons of deceased legends pay tribute to their dads; Dweezil Zappa tomorrow night (for the third time) and Jason Bonham in May. In my view, this is what Deacon Frey perhaps should have attempted to do. But I don't wish to elaborate on this any further.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-22-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, FP. I read about their Australian tour kicking off.

I'd still be tempted to go because I love Brian May. But I saw them on tv once and was not impressed with Adam Lambert. He sang like he didn't understand what the song was about and didn't care either.

IMO, a good (effective) singer is committed emotionally to the song. Otherwise, why bother.

Does Brian May sing lead at all anymore? I like his voice, it was so boyish and English.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thank you, FP. I read about their Australian tour kicking off.

I'd still be tempted to go because I love Brian May. But I saw them on tv once and was not impressed with Adam Lambert. He sang like he didn't understand what the song was about and didn't care either.

IMO, a good (effective) singer is committed emotionally to the song. Otherwise, why bother.

Does Brian May sing lead at all anymore? I like his voice, it was so boyish and English.
    Only on Love Of My Life, which of course he didn't sing originally. I had hoped he'd do one of my favourites, '39, but he didn't.

You make a good point about emotional commitment. Adam spent a lot of time on costume changes. He tried - he tried hard. But I would agree that some of the more challenging lyrics, like Hammer To Fall, weren't really what he's about.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I saw Queen & Adam Lambert last night. As I have no wish to derail any more Eagles topics, I will make a few comments here.

When I booked for it last June, I had only been out of hospital for a few months. My reasoning was that I should go & see as many shows as I could, in case something else happened to me. I was very dubious about seeing this, and worried that I may be considered a hypocrite.

Well, I have to say that I wondered about the point of it all. I wonder why Brian May & Roger Taylor still cling to this. They are talented men; surely they could still be creative in other ways. May has his astronomy career & dedication to preservation of wildlife, apart from anything else. They are not keeping the memory of Freddie Mercury alive just by having Adam Lambert sing his songs.

Let me make it clear; Lambert is flamboyant, camp, a show pony - everything Freddie was, but he doesn't really have the vocal chops or versatility. I found his voice too light for the hard rock songs & not really suitable for the (few) ballads. He was best on songs like Get Down Make Love & I Want It All. He was wrong for Bohemian Rhapsody. At least they used the iconic middle section of the video so they would not have to pretend to sing it. To be fair, he doesn't pretend to be Freddie, but he just doesn't measure up.

It's a fact that my own highlight was the wonderful I'm In Love With My Car, sung by Taylor. At least it was HIS SONG. He also tried to sing Bowie's Under Pressure part, and A Kind Of Magic - and both fell flat. But at least he had played on the records. Similarly, May's attempt at Love Of My Life failed, because the audience DIDN'T KNOW IT. Well, I knew it, but I bought A Night At The Opera when it was released.

So I'm afraid that replacements are not my thing. It was not enough for me to watch May & Taylor & try & pretend that was Queen. I enjoyed it, because I love those songs. But that's all.
    This was interesting to read...I've been a fan of Queen since I was 5 years old (my favorite back then was Radio Ga Ga). Freddie was so larger than life, and had such a great stage persona, not to mention an amazing voice, that to me, no one else could ever measure up. Replacements are not my thing either - Queen without Freddie isn't right to me. I feel the same about the Eagles without Glenn (but that's all I'll say on that, I try to steer clear of those threads on here). I was 5 years old when Freddie died, so that means I'll never see them, and I'm fine with that. Since most of the bands I like have a member who passed away and/or no longer perform, I have an extensive collection of concert DVDs.

FP, I love '39 too, I'd love to see Brian May sing it.