Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Tribute Bands

Default Re: Eagles Tribute Bands

Very informative and never mind the length, lol. The more you tell us, the more insight some of us can give you.

Regarding 7Bridges, while Jason normally does the Frey parts, he also does an excellent Walsh, which I didn't see at the shows I attended. To get the little moves down helps a lot but it's the sound that really matters to a lot of people. And when you nail the exact sound for the song, you've made the big time, so to speak.

Most of us go to the trib shows wanting to hear the songs that got the band started, like I like to hear Bernie and Randy's songs and a lot of the songs that have been dropped from the set list from their beginnings. Not being all that observant or particular, it matters little to me if you all are dressed in suits and ties or t-shirts and jeans. The show is what I'm there for, the music and the vocals and the memories it evokes.

BTW, the link didn't work for me. But we sure like to read whatever you post. Sorry to be so long-winded..........

Oops, I lied. The link does work, nice pic, which one are you?
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Regarding cover vs. tribute bands, I tend to agree with FP that if a band is doing nothing but the songs from one band then I consider them a tribute band. Just my two cents.

Greg, I appreciate your post and sharing with us the process and decisions that bands have to work through.

The only Eagles tribute band I've seen is one of the Hotel California bands. Soda linked to my review of that show in her first post in this thread. However, I will repeat a few observations. Keep in mind this is just one opinion, and it comes from a very hardcore Eagles fans. Hope you're not sorry you asked after reading this.

First of all, I'll give you what I thought were the positive things about the guys I saw:

1. The members of the band didn't look anything like Glenn, Don, Joe, Timothy, or Felder, Randy, and Bernie. Therefore, I appreciated the fact that they didn't even attempt to emulate their appearance. As GlennLover said, I'd rather the band not try to look like the Eagles rather than do a really bad job.

2. The band played a 20-song set in a show that lasted approximately two hours. I had figured they would play about 45 minutes to an hour, so I was very pleasantly surprised at the length of the show.

3. Most of the songs, they stayed true to, which I also appreciated. You are right in that I also loved hearing a few songs that I will probably never get to see the Eagles play live such as Those Shoes, Victim of Love, James Dean, and The Best of My Love (although I did get to see this one a few weeks ago in Louisville, so you never know).

Now, for the things that I wasn't impressed with ...

1. A few songs had altered arrangements, which I didn't care for. This is just my opinion, but I'd much rather them stay true to the original song.

2. The band did not get all of their Eagles' facts correct. I was appalled to hear them introduce Lyin' Eyes as the only song the Eagles ever won a grammy for (see - it's been over 3 years since I saw them and this is one of the main things I remember). Now, admittedly, as I said earlier, I am very hardcore so I may be more sensitive than the average person in the audience. However, I feel strongly about this - if you are going to have a complete show centered around a single band, then do your homework and get your facts right! It's not that hard - all you have to do is come to a sight like this where hardcores hang out and you can learn a lot. Kudos to you for recognizing this, Greg!!!

3. The worst of all - when I came home, I checked out their website and to my horror discovered that Glenn's name is spelled 'Glen' throughout the site. I even sent them a couple of emails asking them to correct this, and to this day, it it still incorrect. To this hardcore, that is inexcuseable. I just think if you are going to put the time and effort into forming a whole band to pay tribute to another one, then you should take care of the small stuff too - it matters.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Greg, I agree with Dreamer that the music is paramount. However, if the members can dress like the Eagles & pull it off, and judging by your picture you can , that's an added bonus.

Dreamer, it sounds like we saw the same band. Your post reminded me. They got some facts wrong about the writing of Lyin' Eyes & the year that one of their hits was released (I forget which one). It's just a turn off to those who are diehard Eagles fans. It wouldn't be that difficult to get those facts right.

Interesting post, Greg! Don't worry - that's not terribly long at all.

The only "tribute" I've ever seen is all the folks dressed up and singing like Stevie Nicks at the Night of 1000 Stevies. Not quite the same. lol

For me, the ideal tribute band would emulate the vocal stylings and arrangements of the Eagles, and try to capture the mood by dressing up a bit. If you can't do both, then the sound is more important - but doing both puts you ahead of the game as it appears most Eagles tribute bands only half-heartedly attempt that, if at all.

I do appreciate it when tribute bands play songs the Eagles don't normally play. They have so many songs - even hits - they no longer do live or have never done at all. It's a real treat, especially for hardcores, to hear a deep cut or lesser known Eagles song getting played. Solo stuff is OK in moderation but I wouldn't want the solo numbers to outweigh the Eagles songs.

And yes, as Dreamer says, it's very annoying when the facts are not quite right or, even worse, they misspell or mispronounce the guys' names!

I'm eager to see one - which is one reason I started this thread. If one comes Memphis way, I want to know about it! If you guys come even within a couple hours, I'll drive on over!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border An Alter Eagle's Avatar

Well, soda, that is exactly how we approach it.

One big reason we picked the Eagles is because they are long on music and vocal performance and short on theatrics and costumes. We're friends with other tributes and we cringe when we see those poor guys trot on stage with silly costumes and bad wigs.

I'm the second from the right in the picture, with the sunglasses. My brother, Todd is next to me on the end. We sing most of the songs (Todd sings DH, I sing GF).

I don't know how many of you are on Facebook (it seems everyone is these days), but you can see all kinds of pictures, videos, etc on:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=519518832#!/altereagles

Cheers,

Greg

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I have not been able to see a tribute band yet, tho I have tried in August with PM, but you all know how that turned out on the trip there. So I'm not much help I'm afraid.

I do have a question, and it might be a really dumb one and might have already been answered and I've missed it. I'm not real clear on the difference in a tribute band and a cover band?

BTW--Just sent a friend request to you guys on FB Greg! Anxious to take a look, well that is if you accept it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Out on the Border An Alter Eagle's Avatar

I think that is a very good question. We wetn round and round about what to call it, too. After much research and "discussion," we decided to define it this way:

Cover Band - Any band that plays other bands' music
    Eagles Cover Band - Any band that plays Eagles music exclusively, using their own versions, sometimes playing it like the original, sometimes not, no attempt to match the look or feel of the original band experience.
    Reverence Band - I've only seen this term used in a few places, but I like it. It seems to mean a group that plays a band's music exactly as it was recorded, emulating the sound as closely as possible to the original.
    Tribute Band - A reverence band that also dresses and looks the part, re-reating the look and feel of the original band's performance as well as the music.

Of course this doesn't cover "tribute albums/cds" where popular artists do their own covers of a band's songs (The country artists' Eagles Tribute CD for example.) You can see that it is pretty much a moving target.

There is a group called "Classic Albums Live" that picks a great album and plays it start to finish exactly as recorded, without even attempting to look at all like the original act. I've heard they are awesome, though I haven't been able to catch one of their shows yet. I love the idea, though. I saw Steely Dan do the same thing last year in NYC when they did the Aja album start to finish, then closed the concert with several of their other favorites.

As a final note, some people say any band that doesn't contain at least 3/4 of the original members is a tribute. That makes it tough for bands like the Eagles and Chicago, of course, since they both had multiple member changes over the years. I've heard many a loud, drink-fueled argument on that topic!

G
    PS We'll definitely accept FB friendship with anyone who is an Eagles fan!

Stuck on the Border

You mention Classic Albums Live. Something like this (it may even be this act) is going to perform the entirety of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms in Sydney soon (plus other Dire Straits classics). I seriously thought of going but I decided against it. I think no matter how well it was done I would find fault with it. As people here are well aware, I am a Dire Straits tragic.

Greg, I have seen "ClassicAlbums Live" do Hotel California. During the first half of the show they play the songs, in order, from the album & then do other Eagles' hits in the second half. I enjoyed them immensely, as did the rest of the audience. They were true to the original recordings & their voices sounded very similiar to the Eagles'. As you stated, they made no attempt to look or dress like the Eagles. It was all about the sound. They even had a woman in the band, LOL. I enjoyed them much more than "Hotel California, The Eagles Experience." It has to be about the music first. I would love to hear your band, as it is obvious that putting the music first is what your band is all about.

Border Desperado

Soda - The link to Hotel California is the group I saw here at Ball State's Emens Auditorium. There names are Wade Hogue (who was the front man),Dicky Lee Dickinson, Steve Probst, Scott Fronscoe, and Ken Nichols.

Setlist:
    Take It Easy
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Heartache Tonight
    Lyin Eyes
    Those Shoes
    One of These Nights
    Smugglers Blues
    Heart of the Matter
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Already Gone
    Seven Bridges Road
    Hotel California
    Tequila Sunrise
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Witchy Woman
    Best of My Love
    All Night Long
    All She Want's To Do Is Dance

There is a partial video on Youtube of "Hotel". Just search for "The Eagles at the OC Fair 2010".
    The setlist is not in order except for the last two songs which were perfect to use as closers.