Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Madison Square Garden, NY, NY - 9/18/2014

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Madison Square Garden, NY, NY - 9/18/2014

It'll be after 1am before I get home so I'll post more tomorrow.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Roey View Post
    Boston Steve....great review...well said...especially "the greatest band"... it was a great concert...always sad when it ends

If we are lucky the band is working on new songs for a new album that will result in another concert tour.

It was nice to meet you and your wife for a quick intro and hi.
    Nice to meet you too Roey; I am sorry we didn't have more time to talk.
    Hopefully the Band will tour this area again and we can meet up. "Take it Easy"- Boston Steve

First I would like to apologize to Boston Steve and Flojo for not meeting up with them. Boston Steve, I'm not sure how I missed you, it's not like there were a lot of people at the VIP dinner! Flojo, I saw you in the front row, and as I said in an email, as we were trying to get out of there, I looked away and when I looked back, you were gone! I really did want to meet both of you. Roey, it would have been nice to meet you, too.

The trip to NYC was great, great weather, and I flew first class for the first time in a long time, and that helped. Seeing HH for the first time since January was great, and we had a blast!

As has been noted by Boston Steve, the VIP dinner was rather lame. Since you get your tickets in NYC ahead of time, some blew off the dinner altogether, and of course, most sold their tickets on StubHub (or elsewhere). There were 20 people at the dinner, which meant I had a much better shot of winning something in the raffle (and I did win a t-shirt with the dates of this tour leg on it).

The twenty of us in VIP didn't get a kazoo, but we did get to our seats in time to hear the great kazoo-off. JD brought some special guests onto the stage for it. John McEnroe, Henrik Lundquist, and two other guys. Judging from their height, I assume they were members of the NY Knicks. Lundquist is the goalie for the Rangers. Joe came out with them, and it was a good thing as the others seemed pretty uncomfortable at first.

I was in row 7, and directly behind a rather large man, both wide and tall. So when I got the offer to switch closer to the middle, I took it. Only to find I was behind an even taller man. He slouched in his seat, and while that probably helped those behind me, it didn't help me at all. Directly in front of him was a tall man, and so when we stood, I couldn't see anything, because leaning around one meant still having the other block my view. The women on either side of me didn't seem to appreciate me leaning to the side to see around them, and so the first set was a bit frustrating for me. I could lean and see individual members occasionally, but never all of them at once.

The lady to my left couldn't have made it more obvious that she'd rather be anywhere else. She was with a guy in the row ahead of us and they left at intermission, which made me very happy! I stayed in my seat, but could lean all I want, and so then had a great view of all of them except Joe.

The guys did a great job, and put on a great show. I noticed at the end of the second set, the last two or three songs, there was a guy in the next section that was up with everyone else and dancing. He was in his eighties, and he was having a blast. It was great to see.

As noted by others, Joe did a great job on ITC again. Like in Omaha, as the song progressed, the crowd got more into it. As Joe hit the home stretch, I heard gasps and 'ohhs' of appreciation, and could see the awe on the faces of a lot of people. Since it was hard for me to see Joe, I looked at people in the audience, and it was nice to see the appreciation.

At the beginning of TITTL, Don must not have thought the crowd was singing loud enough as he gestured for us to sing along.

As always, when they play the Reprise, the crowd cheers when they hear the strains of Desperado, and they did Thursday night as well. When they sang the word 'Desperado' and moved into those incredible harmonies on that song I heard gasps and sounds of appreciation from those around me. When the song was over, I heard a guy seated to my left say, "Wow, these guys are absolutely incredible, this is amazing." Indeed.
    VK

Terrific comments and insight from everyone. Sounds like the last show of the leg may have been the best of all. Glad everyone enjoyed themselves. VA, sorry about the height and breadth issues you had to deal with. Nothing more frustrating than having to 'bob and weave' all night to get a decent look! I encountered it myself a few times during the Omaha show and had to resort to looking at the jumbotrons more than once.
    I just need a little downtime.........

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    First I would like to apologize to Boston Steve and Flojo for not meeting up with them. Boston Steve, I'm not sure how I missed you, it's not like there were a lot of people at the VIP dinner! Flojo, I saw you in the front row, and as I said in an email, as we were trying to get out of there, I looked away and when I looked back, you were gone! I really did want to meet both of you. Roey, it would have been nice to meet you, too.

The trip to NYC was great, great weather, and I flew first class for the first time in a long time, and that helped. Seeing HH for the first time since January was great, and we had a blast!

As has been noted by Boston Steve, the VIP dinner was rather lame. Since you get your tickets in NYC ahead of time, some blew off the dinner altogether, and of course, most sold their tickets on StubHub (or elsewhere). There were 20 people at the dinner, which meant I had a much better shot of winning something in the raffle (and I did win a t-shirt with the dates of this tour leg on it).

The twenty of us in VIP didn't get a kazoo, but we did get to our seats in time to hear the great kazoo-off. JD brought some special guests onto the stage for it. John McEnroe, Henrik Lundquist, and two other guys. Judging from their height, I assume they were members of the NY Knicks. Lundquist is the goalie for the Rangers. Joe came out with them, and it was a good thing as the others seemed pretty uncomfortable at first.

I was in row 7, and directly behind a rather large man, both wide and tall. So when I got the offer to switch closer to the middle, I took it. Only to find I was behind an even taller man. He slouched in his seat, and while that probably helped those behind me, it didn't help me at all. Directly in front of him was a tall man, and so when we stood, I couldn't see anything, because leaning around one meant still having the other block my view. The women on either side of me didn't seem to appreciate me leaning to the side to see around them, and so the first set was a bit frustrating for me. I could lean and see individual members occasionally, but never all of them at once.

The lady to my left couldn't have made it more obvious that she'd rather be anywhere else. She was with a guy in the row ahead of us and they left at intermission, which made me very happy! I stayed in my seat, but could lean all I want, and so then had a great view of all of them except Joe.

The guys did a great job, and put on a great show. I noticed at the end of the second set, the last two or three songs, there was a guy in the next section that was up with everyone else and dancing. He was in his eighties, and he was having a blast. It was great to see.

As noted by others, Joe did a great job on ITC again. Like in Omaha, as the song progressed, the crowd got more into it. As Joe hit the home stretch, I heard gasps and 'ohhs' of appreciation, and could see the awe on the faces of a lot of people. Since it was hard for me to see Joe, I looked at people in the audience, and it was nice to see the appreciation.

At the beginning of TITTL, Don must not have thought the crowd was singing loud enough as he gestured for us to sing along.

As always, when they play the Reprise, the crowd cheers when they hear the strains of Desperado, and they did Thursday night as well. When they sang the word 'Desperado' and moved into those incredible harmonies on that song I heard gasps and sounds of appreciation from those around me. When the song was over, I heard a guy seated to my left say, "Wow, these guys are absolutely incredible, this is amazing." Indeed.
    Hi VA- sorry we didn't hook up at the VIP. I was in a pretty weird state of mind with the tix I had bought being counterfeit. As mentioned things worked out but we missed a portion of the VIP. I was wearing an LROE t-shirt and changed to my Boston Strong shirt at intermission. Sorry about the sightline issues you encountered. We were fortunate to have an unobstructed view for the show. Agree with you about JW- an unreal force in the band who I think Don and Glen recognize as a vital part of the rock and roll songs; Joe is really a show inside a show.
    A great night - started out a little crazy but turned out to be another epic performance by the best band form the US.

Joe is definitely a show inside of a show, and yes, Glenn and Don know it and in fact set it up to be that way. Before Heartache Tonight, as they were all changing guitars and Glenn was getting ready to speak, someone near the front yelled 'unleash Joe!' It made me grin.

We've had a lot of discussion in a lot of different threads about the Walsh and James Gang songs being played as part of the History tour. I've stated my opinion on it several times, that the Eagles have been performing some of these songs since 1975 (or before when Joe would come on stage with them) and consider them to be part of their history. Before the last encore on this tour leg, Glenn asks the crowd to welcome back Bernie, who's there to help them as they go "deep into our catalogue." Since RMW is part of that encore, I feel it validates my opinion.

Before TITTL, Glenn thanked Bernie for being there, and said something along the lines of him helping them with another chapter of their history. As long as they keep adding chapters and don't end the story I'll be happy.
    VK

I just remembered, when Don said Bernie was wearing the same shirt, Bernie said he had to get it out of the Smithsonian to wear it.

Some photos from Twitter:

VK

Thanks for all the details!

Those photos are fantastic!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

"As long as they keep adding chapters and don't end the story I'll be happy"
    "Amen" to that!

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Before TITTL, Glenn thanked Bernie for being there, and said something along the lines of him helping them with another chapter of their history. As long as they keep adding chapters and don't end the story I'll be happy.
    Couldn't have said it better...and I'd love to see Bernie stick around for the NEXT chapter! His contributions this time around have been fantastic.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love