Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poco Reunion for Legacy - why not Timothy?

Default Poco Reunion for Legacy - why not Timothy?

Tim's relationship with Poco was mentioned in another thread, and it got me to thinking.

When Poco reunited for the Legacy project in 1988, it was Randy Meisner who was invited to participate, not Tim. This is in spite of the fact that Randy only contributed bass parts to Poco's debut album Pickin' Up the Pieces, and was fired from the band before the album hit the stores. Tim, on the other hand, was an important contributor to the band for years.

Timothy wasn't doing anything at the time, and we know he was hard up for cash.

Was there some kind of bad blood between him and Poco when he left the group for the Eagles? Is that why they didn't want him back for Legacy? He did guest on Inamorata in 1984, but obviously that didn't lead to him rejoining the group.

Anyone know?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Default Re: Poco Reunion for Legacy - why not Timothy?

I was always under the impression that the Legacy reunion was to reunite the original five members of Poco (Messina/Meisner/Furay/Young/Grantham). Although Meisner wasn't really a part of the Poco's Pickin' Up the Pieces, I believe they still viewed him as a founding member. Which he was. I think the overall objective of the album was to switch things up a bit. Maybe get a new sound or broader audience.

I don't really think there is bad blood between Timothy and current/past Poco members. I've heard, more than once, that the Poco members encouraged Tim to pursue the Eagles opportunity. I'm glad he did. I think he is part of what makes the Eagles so great. As with every other past and present member.

I remember some arguments about the whole lack of Schmit and Cotton issue. Some people think they should have been involve in Legacy; others not so much.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

When I saw Poco at our local theater a year or so ago they mentioned Tim's name fondly a couple of times - to great applause. So if there was a problem they have all moved on from it.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I have never read of any bad blood between the members of Poco and Tim. I also was under the assumption that the reunion was the original members but often wondered, since Timothy was such a huge part of Poco, why they didn't include him anyways.

And might I say how wonderful it is to see a couple of new threads for Timothy the last few days! Thanks Soda!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

No problem Willie!

I'm glad it seems that there wasn't ill will against Tim from the other members of Poco; if they actively encouraged him to leave the group for the Eagles, that's really impressive and selfless of them. Timothy added a lot to Poco, just as he adds a lot to the Eagles.

That makes sense about the 'original' five being involved in Legacy regardless of the fact that Randy's falling out with Furay in 1969 led to a lot of what he did being removed from the final mix of Pickin' Up the Pieces. In truth, Randy probably needed it more than Tim at that point anyway.

And it all worked out in the end. If Tim had been tied up in a Poco reunion, perhaps he wouldn't have been able to join the Eagles for HFO!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I have never read of any bad blood between the members of Poco and Tim. I also was under the assumption that the reunion was the original members but often wondered, since Timothy was such a huge part of Poco, why they didn't include him anyways.
    The same could be said of Paul Cotton as well. He joined when Messina left and sang lead on Heart of the Night, but also wasn't included in the Legacy project.

If I'm not mistaken, Legacy also occurred around that time the Eagles were trying to get back together when things eventually didn't work out so Timothy would not have been available anyway.

Wink Re: Poco Reunion for Legacy - why not Timothy?

No the only animosity Poco has is with Don Henley, especially Rusty, tho I'm not sure why?? Timothy has kept in touch with Poco and has said that he really enjoyed his years with Poco . When the chance came to play with the EAGLES they strongly pushed Timothy to take it. Timothy says he moves forward and tries not to go back but felt the time was right now to join them at Stagecoach.
    Not sure why he did the Inamorata album never read anything about it. Just hope they put out a CD and a DVD of the reunion,I know they had a film crew taping it .

TELL ME WHAT YOU DREAM AT NIGHT WHEN YOU'RE SLEEPING

Stuck on the Border

Why would there be any animosity between Poco and Don Henley?

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Why would there be any animosity between Poco and Don Henley?
    Rusty Young has been known to make Henley/Eagles jokes during Poco shows. He even made one during the Stagecoach show (He told some guy sitting near the front that he looked like Henley and it was freaking him out. I've heard he's made that joke before.) If there is any animosity, it's probably one-sided and is based on the Eagles having the success that Poco was supposed to have - more like envy actually. I've seen some animosity on Poco fourms but that was from some (definitely not all) of the Poco fans. However, a few years ago (2002 or 2003 I think) when the Eagles played in Nashville, Rusty Young & George Grantham were there and Timothy acknowledged them from the stage.
    Last edited by tbsfan; 04-29-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

I never got what stuck a burr under Rusty but wondered if it had to do with how he perceived they were treating Timothy and somehow that landed in Don's lap! Which is kind of funny cause Don and Timothy stayed in touch the most and even worked together on some projects during "The Vacation" they all had . Oh well we'll probably never get the lowdown but it is strange.

TELL ME WHAT YOU DREAM AT NIGHT WHEN YOU'RE SLEEPING