Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poco Reunion for Legacy - why not Timothy?

Default Re: Poco Reunion for Legacy - why not Timothy?

Thanks, Soda!

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

didn't work for me

Try this, Bluefeather: http://timothybschmitfans.com/. It's worth digging into. So many press and audio interviews. Wow.

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

I couldn't get the "johno and danno" Australian interview link to work

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I read that Rusty Young and Timothy never liked each other. Anyone know why? I mean who would take a dislike to Tim?

Smile Re: Poco Reunion for Legacy - why not Timothy?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I read that Rusty Young and Timothy never liked each other. Anyone know why? I mean who would take a dislike to Tim?
    Of course, I can only go by what I have read, too, but I will say that this runs contrary to everything I've ever read about Tim, Rusty, and Poco, in general. In fact, I read that Timothy was the one who encouraged Rusty to take on the challenge of his first lead vocal, and then helped him along as he accepted this new challenge.

**NMB, I know you're a researcher, and would probably prefer a reference for this, so before you ask where I read that, I'll go ahead and apologize and tell you that I can't remember. It's just one of those things that stuck with me, you know?

P.S. Isn't Rusty Young supposed to be writing a memoir? Maybe we will get the answer to this straight from the source.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

No, that's quite alright, Luv - your word is good enough for me. If it was anyone else, I'd ask for a reference but you're cool.

That's interesting that Tim encouraged Rusty to sing lead because (don't slap me) I can hear a similarity in their vocal stylings: a pure tone, sweet with just the slightest suggestion of breathiness. Mama like.

Richie Furay's autobiography was where I first read that Rusty didn't like Tim - at least not initially. Apparently it went on for some years, that's the impression I got, that there was a tension between them.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    No, that's quite alright, Luv - your word is good enough for me. If it was anyone else, I'd ask for a reference but you're cool.

That's interesting that Tim encouraged Rusty to sing lead because (don't slap me) I can hear a similarity in their vocal stylings: a pure tone, sweet with just the slightest suggestion of breathiness. Mama like.

Richie Furay's autobiography was where I first read that Rusty didn't like Tim - at least not initially. Apparently it went on for some years, that's the impression I got, that there was a tension between them.
    Thanks for your kind vote of confidence.

I guess Rusty got over it, whatever it was that was bothering him.

NMB, I agree with your assessment of their similar vocal styles. You probably know that Rusty's song, "Us," from Poco's Head Over Heels album, is his first lead. (I just love that album.) Such a sweet song, and a sweet vocal. So yes, you may infer some "Sweet Timmy" influence.
    Last edited by LuvTim; 06-17-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Can I butt in? From Desperados by John Einarson, page p158
    Schmit's youthful good looks drew a strong contingent of female fans to Poco's shows, a point not lost on Rusty Young. "In the old days there used to be two lines outside the dressing room when we finished a concert," laughs Young. "One long line of really pretty girls and another long line of hairy-legged old boys. And the girls would all be waiting to meet Tim and the guys would all be waiting to ask me how I tuned my steel guitar." Still, Young was less than enthusiastic with the choice of Schmit, and he disagrees with the version of events that had Randy walking out on his own. "They fired Randy without even talking to me and Randy was my friend. They hired Tim without even asking me, and I was not thrilled about it. I just didn't think the whole thing was right. Jimmy and Ritchie were asserting their authority. They'd do that every once in awhile."
    Also, page 184
    The presence of Tim Schmit enhanced the vocals on the Poco record. "Tim added beautiful vocals that harmonized well with Ritchie", empasizes Messina. But Young was not a fan of Schmit's musicianship. "Until Tim came into the band, Jimmy payed bass, and he's a brilliant bass player, but Tim's not. He's adequate. As an instrumentalist, I really missed having that bottom. Everything comes off of that and when it wasn't there anymore it really bothered me and I let him know it." Comments Messina, "It wasn't because Tim wasn't a good musician, he's a great player, but he just didn't have the hours or the time that I had being around the pmusic and playing. As the arranger, I would tell people how to play things and I tried to do it as sensitively as I possibly could but we were all young and had fairly sensitive egos, and that can be frustrating."
    Poor Tim. The new boy and he walks into a mess of band politics.

UTW- Well, there you go. It's always something, isn't it?

If this story is true, and if Rusty really felt wronged, and if he really felt that his friend Randy was wronged, then, in all fairness, you can see how the new guy would have been a thorn in his side-- at first, anyway. Especially when the new guy gets all the girls. But I hope I am correct in my impression that this situation improved.

And, of course, this isn't the only time in Tim's life that he joins a band and gets slammed in the face by the politics.

It's now even more impressive to me that Tim manages himself well in each instance, despite the difficult circumstances.
    Last edited by LuvTim; 06-17-2016 at 11:14 PM.