Page 84 of 145 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's such a weird place to be for me. I know these people are probably good men in other ways. They donate to good causes and they seem to be good fathers and such. I don't think they're evil. I don't hate them.

But I don't think they're men of integrity when it comes to hard decisions like turning away from a lot of money because it's the right thing to do... so I can't respect them like I used to. I certainly can't adore them like I used to (there was a time when Don was actually my favorite).

When they weren't touring, I could forget that every now and then. While they're touring, it's in my face daily.
    Yep. I also echo your sentiments about being able to hear those songs again without that constant reminder. I think it will eventually happen...hopefully.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I completely disagree. I doubt that Don was the key member for Glenn IMO. He liked his vocals better than his own maybe but when push came to shove it was Glenn making the calls. Even Don would say "it's Glenn's band and he's the leader". They might have been co-leaders but when it came down to it, it was GF.

I also disagree with anyone that thinks DH was the key member. For me I prefer Glenn wholeheartedly and I've over time liked Glenn's voice better than Don's. For me it always bothered me when people in concert clapped loudly for Don but not as loud for Glenn. Without Glenn asking Don, this band wouldn't be here.

I don't feel I need to explain "who Glenn was" any further than what's been said by myself and others.

Just my feelings on the subject...
    I think LK was trying to describe how the 'casual fans' see the situation, not how we see it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's such a weird place to be for me. I know these people are probably good men in other ways. They donate to good causes and they seem to be good fathers and such. I don't think they're evil. I don't hate them.

But I don't think they're men of integrity when it comes to hard decisions like turning away from a lot of money because it's the right thing to do... so I can't respect them like I used to. I certainly can't adore them like I used to (there was a time when Don was actually my favorite).

When they weren't touring, I could forget that every now and then. While they're touring, it's in my face daily.
    I also agree with this. The difference for me is that I am older and have been a fan since the band's beginning, so I don't think I will ever return to a place where things are the way they used to be. I don't know what's in any of their hearts or minds, but, for me, they made an error in judgment that is irreversible. I will still always love the music, so I guess I'll continue to celebrate their past, but, definitely, not their future as long as they call themselves 'Eagles'.

And FP - I don't know about other countries, but Glenn has pretty wide name recognition here in the U.S. except for probably the millennials.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I completely disagree. I doubt that Don was the key member for Glenn IMO. He liked his vocals better than his own maybe but when push came to shove it was Glenn making the calls. Even Don would say "it's Glenn's band and he's the leader". They might have been co-leaders but when it came down to it, it was GF.

I also disagree with anyone that thinks DH was the key member. For me I prefer Glenn wholeheartedly and I've over time liked Glenn's voice better than Don's. For me it always bothered me when people in concert clapped loudly for Don but not as loud for Glenn. Without Glenn asking Don, this band wouldn't be here.

I don't feel I need to explain "who Glenn was" any further than what's been said by myself and others.

Just my feelings on the subject...
    Yes, but that's you. Ask a random casual Eagles fan what they think.
    I also don't think Henley is or ever was the leader, that was Frey's role. That band was his, period. He's always been the leader.
    But for casuals, which consists most part of the people in the audience, Henley is. Mainly because HC is their main hit.

And yea, what I actually meant when I said I think Frey thought Henley was the key member, is that he knew ppl thought that.
    Sorry, didn't make myself clear
    "Broken hearts can't call the cops. Yeah, it's the perfect crime."

Excerpt

"So, the question remains: Are the Eagles still the Eagles without Glenn Frey? From my personal experience, I think that the answer is yes. Henley, and more importantly Walsh, do a lot to cover up for their departed frontman’s absence.Gill and Deacon handle their parts capably, and the extra musicians provide that added bit of oomph to realize the recorded material to a stunningly clear degree. While no one really knows how Frey himself would feel about this endeavor, his son seems to be enjoying it and that’s good enough for me. “It’s been really great,” Deacon told Rolling Stone. “It’s another family we would have been missing .”

-------------------------------------------

I don't agree the Eagles are still the Eagles without Glenn Frey but as long as fans and critics view Glenn Frey essentially and perhaps even primarily as the band's departed "frontman" and someone whose absence can be "covered up" with extra bells and whistles like a circus act well -- I think that is very telling.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I also agree with this. The difference for me is that I am older and have been a fan since the band's beginning, so I don't think I will ever return to a place where things are the way they used to be. I don't know what's in any of their hearts or minds, but, for me, they made an error in judgment that is irreversible. I will still always love the music, so I guess I'll continue to celebrate their past, but, definitely, not their future as long as they call themselves 'Eagles'.

And FP - I don't know about other countries, but Glenn has pretty wide name recognition here in the U.S. except for probably the millennials.
    Dreamer, I too have been a fan since the band's beginning and understand what you mean when you say you will "continue to celebrate their past but not their future as long as they call themselves 'Eagles'."

That sums up my position as well. I realize this may seem like a hard line to take but it is what it is - no Glenn Frey - no Eagles.
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-31-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luciknight View Post
    Yes, but that's you. Ask a random casual Eagles fan what they think.
    I also don't think Henley is or ever was the leader, that was Frey's role. That band was his, period. He's always been the leader.
    But for casuals, which consists most part of the people in the audience, Henley is. Mainly because HC is their main hit.

And yea, what I actually meant when I said I think Frey thought Henley was the key member, is that he knew ppl thought that.
    Sorry, didn't make myself clear
    Of course. I've even said here I don't think they could pick any of the guys out of a lineup and name them. Their names are Hotel California, Take It Easy, etc. They don't care who is who or what is what as long as they hear their favorites.

But I think the amount of us diehards is more than some would give credit. And that includes those against it. I think there is a sizable amount of us against it. Maybe not as much as those for it but we aren't *that* much of a minority.

I understand what you mean now. I'm sure Glenn did realize most people liked Henley because of HC and those songs and that's why that name is known. But I still don't think the casual fan could put the name to the face, etc so much.

I agree Austin, on all points.

Second, Glenn Frey knew better than anyone the true value of "song power".

It was the secret sauce.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

I was making a generalisation there. I would hope you are right, but it seems to me that things are already starting to shift.

Stuck on the Border

I agree that many people who go to the concerts may not know who Glenn Frey was. That's why the band should make sure they do with some kind of a tribute. If people leave the concert thinking of Vince Gill (whom many of them probably know) as an Eagle, they should know who started the band and whose stuff Gill is now performing - the guy who wouldn't even be there if Glenn hadn't died. Just my opinion.

When they add such a famous guy to their band and don't mention Glenn, many people will associate Vince Gill with the Eagles more than they associate Glenn with the Eagles. That's just wrong. Again, just my opinion.

EDIT:

Many people say that the Eagles are about songpower and not the members - and that this alone justifies them continuing without Glenn. So, although the members (like Glenn Frey) aren't important, Deacon Frey and Vince Gill sure are celebrated a lot everywhere. It's not important to celebrate the person who started it, was there until his death and did all the albums, but it's important to celebrate the people who are now singing and playing his stuff live.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-31-2018 at 01:26 PM.