Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Greatest Voices

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Top 10 Greatest Voices

I noticed that this is trending on Twitter today and I found myself giving it some thought and figured it would make a good topic of discussion.

People react to different colors, textures, tastes, styles all very differently. When it comes to voices, there's just a certain part of my brain that responds differently to those than others. There are a couple of people I know, that aren't famous, who have voices I could listen to for hours on end, and I won't bother naming those. When thinking about this, I found it interesting to separate the voice from the way they look, what they sing/talk about, what they may stand for, and just go with the voice only.

#10 Martina McBride
    #9 Elvis
    #8 Morgan Freeman
    #7 Keith Whitley
    #6 "Guy who talks between songs on Classic Vinyl" I don't know his name!
    #5 Alan Jackson
    #4 James Earl Jones
    #3 Don Henley
    #2 Glenn Frey
    #1 Billy Idol

OK, having Billy Idol in my list is embarrassing. Having him as number 1 is even worse. However, if I can listen and not think about him or what he looks like and concentrate only on his voice, it does it for me every time.

As for #2 and #3, what can I say? How lucky am I that two of my favorite voices are in the same band? I love Eagle harmonies, but some of my favorites are when it's just the two of them. When they go back and forth in What Do I Do With My Heart, that's my own little slice of heaven. Seriously.

What does anyone else think? Feel free to pick my list apart, make your own, or give me grief about Billy Idol.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Top 10 Greatest Voices

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    or give me grief about Billy Idol.
    I suspect that most of us will have at least one guilty pleasure (or do I mean 'totally random person' ) in our list, so I promise not to give you grief over your choice, if you refrain from picking my choice to bits.

Up to three months ago I would have said Timothy B for my #1, but since hearing 'Don't stop believing' played at a wedding party, Tim has been relegated. (insert 'sit on the naughty step for a very long while' smilie. )

I admit that I haven't given any thought to just speaking voices, and even my list of singing voices is very limited. Probably because I'm not that 'into' music nowadays.

#1 has to be Steve Perry.
    2. Timothy B Schmit
    3. Barry Manilow ('Here at the Mayflower' and prior to that)

The next three would probably be Karen Carpenter, Dusty Springfield, and Don Henley.

After that I don't know. Because 'the greatest' should probably include the likes of Pavarotti and Joan Sutherland, and not just my favourite singers.

Quote Originally Posted by UK TimFan View Post
    I suspect that most of us will have at least one guilty pleasure (or do I mean 'totally random person' ) in our list, so I promise not to give you grief over your choice, if you refrain from picking my choice to bits.

Up to three months ago I would have said Timothy B for my #1, but since hearing 'Don't stop believing' played at a wedding party, Tim has been relegated. (insert 'sit on the naughty step for a very long while' smilie. )

I admit that I haven't given any thought to just speaking voices, and even my list of singing voices is very limited. Probably because I'm not that 'into' music nowadays.

#1 has to be Steve Perry.
    2. Timothy B Schmit
    3. Barry Manilow ('Here at the Mayflower' and prior to that)

The next three would probably be Karen Carpenter, Dusty Springfield, and Don Henley.

After that I don't know. Because 'the greatest' should probably include the likes of Pavarotti and Joan Sutherland, and not just my favourite singers.
    I know what you mean about the ones that you feel should be on your list. I wrestled with the same thing. In the end I went with the ones that regardless of what I'm doing, I stop and listen. Which is why I don't play Eagles music if I'm working or doing things around the house that require concentration. The voices I like just refuse to be background.

As for Steve Perry, I had a friend from Guatemala, he spoke very little English. Since I don't speak Spanish it was an interesting friendship. He didn't care for rock and roll at all, and since he couldn't understand the words he always tuned it out on the car stereo. Anytime Journey, with Steve Perry, would come on, though, he would sit up and listen and sometimes even turn it up. Didn't matter what song it was.
    VK

I'd have Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston at the top of my list. And of course The Guys.

Gee... you ask some tough questions!!

Here is a temporary list. I reserve the right to change it as someone else comes to mind! I know I will see others listed that I just haven't thought of yet.

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    Axl Rose (Guns N Roses)
    Tom Keifer (Cinderella)
    Bradley Delp (Boston)
    David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
    Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    Glenn Frey (Eagles)
    Marvin Gaye
    Jimi Hendrix
    Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)

Ok, I edited and added Jagger. No clue how I left him off to begin with.
    Last edited by lizzyplays; 01-05-2013 at 05:43 PM.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

How Could I forget Percy? I'll add him to my list.

I'm going to go with the voices that come to me right from the top of my head, without thinking too much about it, & with that said, I will have to name these as some of my most favorite voices;

Christina Aguilera
    Timothy B Schmit
    Adam Lambert
    Eddie Vedder
    Kelly Clarkson
    Steve Marriott
    Paul McCartney
    Art Garfunkel
    Roger Daltrey
    Gwen Stefani
    Smokey Robinson

Stuck on the Border

With speaking voices, most of the people I admire are no longer with us, such as Richard Burton & Laurence Olivier. I couldn't do a list like this for speaking voices because I have insufficient knowledge. For classical singing I would list Placido Domingo.

As far as singing voices for me since 1977 it has been Glenn Frey & then daylight. There is nobody else in anywhere near the same league. However I will give honourable mentions to the following:

Mark Knopfler
    Robert Plant
    Paul McCartney
    John Lennon
    Mick Jagger

I love Jimi Hendrix's voice as well but I wouldn't put it in this list.

Good topic, VA! And I love that you included Morgan Freeman. Puts a whole different spin on the subject. I think we've done favorite singers here.

My guilty pleasure is John Mayer. If you're a woman and know his history, he can't be too high on your 'descent people' list. But when I hear that voice.... and it wasn't always like that. It's only been this past year that I noticed that his soft, whispery vocal does something for me.

On the female side, Natalie Merchant has a quality to her voice that I just love. I understand completely what you mean, VA, about this being a personal thing, and I think you explained that very well.

As far as non-singers? Off the top of my head I enjoy James Earl Jones a lot.

ETA: I have a co-worker who I could listen to for hours. Her voice has a sing-song quality to it that makes it very pleasant, unlike my own voice, which I would describe as a human donkey.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Yes, this topic is all about the voice and not what it sings, says, even how it sings or speaks, or the music or whatever behind it. Just the voice and what it does for you. I was surprised how many people on Twitter mentioned the guy who does the Allstate commercials as their favorite voice.
    VK