I know it's late, but I've been reading all the other remembrances...

Eleven years ago, I was working at my old school (independent study/alternative/diploma options for the county). We had just given students their first morning break (they got one every 2 hours and most were allowed to drive out & get some fast food/etc). Our director walked in our room and told us that a plane had just hit the WTC. I tried to get on one of the two computers that had internet at the time; there was virtually nothing about it. Before I knew it, the second plane had hit, and as many staff as possible crowded around the little tv in the director's office to watch the live footage. I remember spending the rest of the day explaining what was going on to the students that knew what was going on (especially two girls that were petrified their boyfriends were going to be drafted)...

This morning during our (regular/first) moment of silence, I put up the picture of the firemen raising the flag at Ground Zero on our SmartBoard and told the kids "Don't think of this as a sad day. Do something NICE for someone else. Pick up someone's books off the floor, tell them they look nice...SOMETHING nice!!"