Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewell 1 Survivor

Banned

Default Re: Farewell 1 Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101
    I'm just wondering why people are voting off Desperado as no one seems to be giving reasons for song choice anymore?
    Having seen the Eagles many times, opening with Hotel California, without a visible lead singer, I thought it was quite effective starting with Don, mike in hand, at the front singing The Long Run. Similarly, the concert ends with Don at the front, mike in hand, singing Desperado. I think it'd be weird if he sang it at the drums.

I can't say I noticed it recently but I did notice a difference between Glenn and Michael Thompson's piano chops when Michael took over at about the time of the Farewell One tour. Maybe it's something to do with Glenn being left-handed, I don't know.

I did consider voting for Desperado. I heard an early live version without the strings (synths) and I absolutely loved the band humming and aahing along without being drowned out by the strings so I've kinda disliked the strings ever since. I don't like the excessive long note sung by Don before the last line either.

I saw Henley live in 1989 and at the end of Desperado, I think he left the stage and came back on before singing the last line.

It's always a show highlight though.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I'm just wondering why people are voting off Desperado as no one seems to be giving reasons for song choice anymore? ?
    Re: Desperado, two reasons: I was voting strategically to save ICTYW and, I don't like that song as the closer. Not much of a band performance.

Re: One Day at a Time: Others may not agree, and I love Joe and really enjoy it when he sings lead, but to me, this song stands out like a sore thumb in the lineup - the lyrics are so plodding and literal, to me it is very un-Eagles-like.

I was close to voting off that rendition of PEF - blechh...maybe next time.

Border Troubadour

Funny, how people's tastes differ, but I love Don's long note at the end of Desperado - it's almost become as traditional as Glenn's 'Plaintiff' non-joke

And I really like One Day at A Time as it has profound meaning for Joe and is certainly not tedious IMO

Once again therefore, I vote for I Can't Tell You Why (because I have never liked it) and Rocky Mountain Way because as I've stated before I prefer Joe's slower songs when I can actually understand what he's singing...
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Banned

Believe it or not, the words to Rocky Mountain Way also have profound meaning to Joe.

It's about not regretting leaving The James Gang.

"We don't need the ladies crying 'cause the story's sad
    The Rocky Mountain Way is better than the way we had"

The line "Bases are loaded and Casey's at bat. Time to change the batter" is referring to Irving Azoff replacing his previous manager Mike Belkin.

It's no surprise to see Glenn singing "Time to change the batter" but I chuckled when I saw Henley singing it too.

I quite like the fact that the F1 Desperado performance is mainly Don, he puts so much passion into it and the backing harmonies work in harmony () as well.
    I also love the long note he sings at the end of it - I think its a fitting end to the concerts even on the HOTE tour.

This time I'm voting for Lyin' eyes and Rocky Mountain Way - I hate voting for RMW as I love the way they play it but as Brooke said, something has to go and RMW has to go this time.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

I have been reluctant to write anything about Desperado but others have pretty much summed up my thoughts. It is like a solo performance. I am one who finds the long note far too long. In March, he shortened it by half so it's nowhere near as melodramatic, but the song does not have the power it has when he played drums & Glenn played piano. Also it is too slow & too depressing to close the show & I object to it on those grounds.

I listened to the 1977 Capital Centre version and the Christchurch version and I feel the F1 version is just as powerful as those even without Don behind the drums.
    True it is mainly Don singing but to be honest, it is Don's song and one he is best known for singing.
    One difference though is Michael Thompson on the piano, I would have preferred Glenn playing the piano for it, it just has a different sound to it.

Maybe this performance is slow but I think "objecting" to the song for that reason is a bit harsh but everyone has their own opinion and mine is I love this song no matter what way it is played.

Stuck on the Border

You asked for opinions & I gave you mine. I think this is the wrong song to close the show & if that means I object to it closing the show, I'm afraid that's what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You asked for opinions & I gave you mine. I think this is the wrong song to close the show & if that means I object to it closing the show, I'm afraid that's what I think.
    Its fine - as you said, I asked for opinions and everybody has different opinions. I was just trying to liven up this survivor game as it had gone a bit stale.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I quite like the fact that the F1 Desperado performance is mainly Don, he puts so much passion into it and the backing harmonies work in harmony () as well.
    I also love the long note he sings at the end of it - I think its a fitting end to the concerts even on the HOTE tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101
    True it is mainly Don singing but to be honest, it is Don's song and one he is best known for singing.
    I'm sneaking off topic here so I'll try and refrain from further elaboration but Desperado is the song that launched the Henley/Frey songwriting partnership, so it should be early in the HOTE setlist.

The average age of the songs on the HOTE setlist must be over 40.
    With some tallying, the average age of the songs on Farewell 1 was 27.

In the 70's Eagles heyday, songs from the sixties were considered oldies.

I appreciate you livening up the discussion Lacken 101, Thanks