Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

My memory of Felder's departure is I knew nothing about it until a Q magazine interview before they toured Europe. Admittedly I was in Australia & unaware of any American announcement.

One of my favourite photos of them comes from that article. The four of them just look happy and downright relieved. I was taken aback for about five minutes & then I vowed to continue supporting them. I never regretted it. I see no point in harking back to when Felder was with them. I did see that lineup in 1995 & I prefer them the way they are now.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    However, I think Felder doesn't mind at all talking about his conflict with the Eagles in interviews; he doesn't need prompting to tell the press that he rises above the conflict while Henley/Frey don't.
    I agree with you here, Soda. To me, Felder can easily control what he discusses in interviews if he so wishes. It's as easy as a "no comment" or even better, he can vet the questions before the interview and tell the interviewer what topics are off limits. That is often times the norm with celebrities, so it would not be considered unreasonable with most interviewers.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

There's this news report from February 14, 2001
    Eagles Record, Plan Tour Without Don Felder

February 14
    By Mark Brown

The firing of guitarist Don Felder would appear to mean the end of The Eagles, but the opposite is true: The rest of the band is in the studio right now, recording its first studio album since the rancorous sessions that produced 1980's The Long Run.
    If all goes well — which may be a leap of faith — the band will have its first new studio album in 21 years in stores by the fall, with a tentative European tour to follow.
    Felder was fired in early February by Eagles founders Don Henley and Glenn Frey; the reason for the ouster has still not been made public.
    Felder, whose guitar riffs contributed mightily to the band's later sound, quickly responded with a lawsuit demanding his reinstatement and an accounting of all money the band made since he joined The Eagles in 1974.
    Sources had reported earlier that Eagles manager Irving Azoff was letting out word that the band would tour later this year, but the new studio project has been kept under wraps. Both Henley and Frey acknowledged last year that an album was attempted in the summer of '99 but was scrapped when the material wasn't up to Henley's perfectionist standards.
    The Eagles' attorney, Dan Petrocelli, would do no more than release a statement on the firing.
    "We took this action because it was in the best interest of The Eagles," the statement said. "We had every legal right to do so. Mr. Felder's case is without merit."
    Felder seeks to dissolve Eagles Ltd., the partnership formed by Henley, Frey, Felder, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner. Apparently latter-day Eagles Joe Walsh and Timothy Schmit were hired under contract and weren't partners in the band's wealth. According to Felder's suit, Leadon and Meisner are no longer active shareholders.
    Henley and Frey apparently control enough of the company to make any decisions they want; Felder's suit says the duo controls two-thirds of the corporation.
    In an interview last year, Frey acknowledged that the band's box set, released just before Christmas, was done under the supervision of only himself and Henley, along with Azoff's input. He also said the next project could be a live career retrospective, focusing on tours in 1976 and 1980.
    Felder's lawsuit claims that the Henley and Frey have run roughshod over his and others' rights for years, "coupled with constant threats that if Felder did not agree with Henley and Frey, Felder would be 'thrown out' of the band."
    None of the musicians or Azoff were available for comment, nor did Felder's attorney return phone calls.
    However, sources confirmed that the new album is underway and that a tour is in the works. No details were available as to who would replace Felder, either on an album or in live performances.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=109433

Banned

Thanks underthewire, that's a fabulous post.

Despite all the "Hell" Felder has endured from the Eagles, does anyone doubt that even now he'd jump at the chance of an immediate reinstatement, even without the "accounting of all money the band made since he joined The Eagles in 1974."

I remember how great it was to read all the positive messages about future plans, I think the band had been inactive since the millennium shows before this 2001 announcement.

Could anyone conceive that the new album "in stores by the fall" would take another six years to deliver!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I side with Frey/Henley & the only part of the first post I will address is the 'bitterness' aspect. Don Felder is bitter to the core. I have nothing else to say on the subject.
    spot on

Border Desperado The Disco Strangler's Avatar

I pick Timothy's side!

All kidding aside, I read Felder's book and noted his take on what happened. I'm sure Glenn and Don have their takes on what happened, too, which probably differ from Don's. Therefore it's hard to pick sides since everyone looks at the world differently. It doesn't necessarly make Don right, Glenn wrong, and Don super-duper right. Just different POVs.

Yeah. Without all the facts, how can we judge?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I agree with all points of we don't know all the facts. I also agree with the point there are 3 sides to ever story One side the other side and then the truth is somewhere in the middle. I do tend to think (and it could be I'm jaded from reading Felder's book) that he was a little melodramatic. .
    I hope he is happy and successful and moves on and stops talking about who did him wrong. Although I know I'd be very upset if I was fired from a successful band after all those year.

Border Desperado

I think it will be interesting to read the other band members "retrospectives/biographies" AFTER the Eagles cease to be an active band or their time in the group is over.
    I think then, we might be able to piece together the truth of what happened, or didn't happen.

Also, I find it funny how many times I've read about "New Eagles projects".
    That article about DF's firing reference an album they were recording in 2001 and going to release in the fall, and live albums/videos from 76 and 80.

From all that, we got LROOE 6 yrs later.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I think then, we might be able to piece together the truth of what happened, or didn't happen.
    lol, BB76. Now, I have this vision of all of us Borderers sitting at our computers 15 years from now analyzing every detail of all the books written by Messrs. Henley, Frey, Walsh, Schmit, and, yeah, let's throw in Leadon and Meisner for good measure. Problem is we'll probably be more confused than ever because everyone of them will have a different recollection of events.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016