Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Default Re: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

this is a tough question... lol all because i knew Don and Glenn from their solo careers growing up. i knew they were Eagles though i have heard of them but i didn't KNOW them. now that i do, still learning actually, i would have to say Frey and Henley. I didn't know who Don Felder was until i watched the HOTE movie. but I heard his name also, it didn't dawn on me that he was an eagle. i think they are all equally good musicians. even though Felder is gorgeous these days.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Didn't Felder say the new book would be for charity?
    It was mentioned. I can see Don playing golf or music for charity but writing a book, I can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    If anyone should be miffed, I think it should be his band because Felder seems to be downplaying their musical talents in favour of their niceness. From what I've heard, they're a good band let down by Felder's singing and unadventurous setlist.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88
    Disagree. I think he's a good singer.
    I'm with UnderTheWire on this one. If Felder was aspiring to put an awesome band together, the first thing he'd do is hire a great singer.

I think it was Harry Connick Jnr, who said his own piano playing and vocals were completely incompatible. He's a great singer and a great pianist but the two together are a complete mismatch. Felder's vocal chops just don't match his guitar playing.

Felder can sing in tune but he can't deliver a lyric. Maybe with practice, he can improve but after being in a band full of great vocalists for a long time, you would have thought he'd have picked up a few tips along the way.

Border Rebel

Felder has a decent voice, but he's really not what I would consider a lead singer. He especially doesn't have the power for songs where a stronger lead is needed, like Victim of Love or Hotel California. He should stick to quieter-type songs with lots of backup harmony to support him, IMHO.
    Last edited by maryc2130; 04-30-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    He should stick to quieter-type songs with lots of backup harmony to support him, IMHO.
    Those are the songs that I think he should stay away from. To sell those, you need good delivery and a pleasant voice. I don't mind him on Those Shoes because his vocal tone suits the song and the guitars are such a big part of it.

When Felder tried to put together a band in the 1990s, he recruited Paul Carrack and Max Carl in addition to Timothy, so at that time he seemed to understand the need for strong vocalists..

As far as who to side with, it comes down to the music. Talent may not be an excuse for bad behaviour but without the talent, I wouldn't even know about the behaviour. And when it comes to overall talent, I rate Henley/Frey much more highly than Felder.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 04-29-2015 at 07:12 AM.

Neither, really. Have heard the Stern interview and many other Frey/Henley interviews. Working alongside individuals for years can take it's toll irrelevant of compatibility or lack thereof and bring out the best and worst. I consider them to be three very talented individuals and could care less about their squabbles.

Would I like Felder to rejoin? Sure! Who wouldn't?
    "I'm goin' surfin" - Bernie

Banned

A couple of months ago, I noticed that Felder was actually the only Eagle out on the road.

Since Bernie has only released two records since leaving the Eagles, it's hardly surprising that, during his tenure, he was badgering the other Eagles to take some time off.

And that period, after the Eagles tour Down-Under ended, is the first time I can recall, that Felder has worked, anywhere near, as hard as the other Eagles, since they parted ways.

The Eagles don't need the money, they don't need the hassle and aggravation but they still have that prodigious need to work.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent Asylum View Post
    Would I like Felder to rejoin? Sure! Who wouldn't?
    I wouldn't. Why risk the equanimity of the band for little, if any, benefit?

Out on the Border

I myself didnt think much about it until I read Felder's book. To me- the book makes Felder looks bad. His not stop whining and taking credit for everything. To hear him tell it, he taught the bass players how to play songs and everything was about his influence. Then he even blames Henley and Frey for his infidelity on the road. I agree with an earlier comment- at this time in their lives I dont see how anyone could be forced to work with someone they didnt want to. I would say the Eagles continued fine without him, where Felder's career hasnt exactly flourished. I guess to me the straw that broke the camel's back was him complaining that he wasnt invited to join them at the Grammy Awards to pay tribute to Glenn Frey. He is still demanding his equal billing on Frey's death.

Out on the Border

Then he even blames Henley and Frey for his infidelity on the road.
    I'm sitting here reading Chapter 11 (pg 146-150) where Felder talks about his promiscuity on the road. I see no mention of this.

Quote Originally Posted by armus2112 View Post
    I'm sitting here reading Chapter 11 (pg 146-150) where Felder talks about his promiscuity on the road. I see no mention of this.
    At some point in his book, he remarks that "Randy Meisner was doing it...and he was married"..on his promiscuity...