Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don Henley in Manchester, England - June 27, 2016

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Don Henley in Manchester, England - June 27, 2016

Thank you to everyone for all the kind comments! I hope everyone's who going to see Don over the coming months has as great a time as I did. I'm sure you will!

Thanks to tlr for your comments too, it's interesting to get a different perspective on the show especially as I have no previous experience of a Don/Eagles show. I enjoyed Sunset Grill a lot myself, although I'll concede that it isn't that much of a crowd pleaser. On the flip side, I was thrilled to see how many other people loved The Last Resort (couldn't agree more with you there!) and THOTM. I did not know that Don didn't specifically dedicate Desperado to Glenn in Glasgow, which makes me feel even more privileged to have heard Don do it for him last night.

L101, I was surprised how much I enjoyed this version IDTTM, if you love the original I'm sure will enjoy the live take. Hope you and DD really enjoy your show tomorrow!

Stuck on the Border

Great review JCL.

GA said that in Glasgow Don played (presumably acoustic) guitar during The Last Resort, which surprises me. I assume this was the case in Manchester too?

Somebody I know went to this show with his girlfriend. I was shocked he was fan of Don's. LOL He was over in England with one of the Osmond brothers on a very mini tour and I think he was staying over to speak time with his girlfriend who's from England.

They got tickets from a friend who couldn't go. So they decided to go see Don. I was soo jealous of them. LOL He said he never gotten the chance to see the Eagles in concert. He's either performing at the theater in Branson, MO with the Osmonds or on the road with them.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    GA said that in Glasgow Don played (presumably acoustic) guitar during The Last Resort, which surprises me. I assume this was the case in Manchester too?
    That was certainly true at my show too, which surprised me too especially as IIRC he didn't play an instrument on the HFO version, but it was actually an electric guitar. I think it was a Telecaster (my knowledge of models is rudimentary but I can recognise the different shapes!).

EDIT: A rough guide off the top of my head, of the ones where I'm sure what he played:
    - I think he played guitar on some of the rockers and just sang on others. He definitely played guitar on Dirty Laundry and LITFL, but specific details for most of the others escape me right now unfortunately!
    - He sang Hotel California with no instrument, but then played percussion at the back during the guitar solos.
    - He sang without an instrument on all of the songs from Cass County, same with Desperado and 7BR.
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 06-29-2016 at 04:08 AM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

JCL - thank you for such a detailed and enthusiastic review. I agree with those who said I almost felt like I was right there while reading it. I'm so glad that Don did not disappoint.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Great review! I really enjoyed reading it. Glad you had such a great time!
    The Last Resort is my favorite Eagles song and I am really looking forward to hearing it in July!

Question - was there an intermission at all? Thanks!

Thanks Jonny- great review! We were in the front row and of course had the best view possible. There were no large video screens so the people right at the back couldn't have seen much.
    I was surprised there were no Press photographers there.
    My favourite quote from Don during the show was-
    Don: "The next song is another one from Cass County"
    Only one person cheered.
    Don: "Well I'm going to sing it anyway because if I'm not having a good time, no one will have a good time".
    I bought a T Shirt and was going to buy a mug but my wife thought £15 was excessive.
    Maybe I'll sneak one at Hyde Park on Sunday.
    There was no intermission during Don's set.
    I agree with Jonny that it was good to see Steuart, Michael, Scott and Will. Lance on bass was excellent but would have been so good if Tim would have been chosen.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

No there was no intermission. Just a short break as expected before the encore. At one point Don went off stage for about 5 minutes while his backing band sang
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Someone on Eagles Fastlane is saying the turn-out was very low, is that true? Only a few thousand in the audience and the capacity of the arena is 21,000.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    - He sang without an instrument on all of the songs from Cass County, same with Desperado and 7BR.
    Acoustic guitar on When I Stop Dreaming