Page 55 of 92 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

This is a reader comment against one of those"reassessing the Eagles" stories. Nailed it!
    There's a white male rock critic orthodoxy which for 45 years has handed down its prejudices and cliched version of history to each successive generation of white male rock critics. Those of us with a different view have just got on with enjoying great music and not giving a stuff. And, sometimes, these guys end up endorsing a new version of history when they old one isn't working for them. I remember when The Bee Gees were hated for the crimes of being too successful and not accepting that their careers were over when punk took off. As Lennon said in one of his last interviews, "There's nothing wrong with The Bee Gees. They do a damn fine job". Not at all what your average rock critic was preaching in Rolling Stone and the NME of the time.

The Eagles are the same. Their crimes are: being too prominent in a genre which the public wasn't supposed to like (it's ok to like Gram Parsons because he died young, sold in modest numbers, and was gone way before punk); too obviously delighted with their own success both with the ladies and financially (it's ok to like Nick Drake because he couldn't get arrested and died broke and unhappy, so no threat to the rock critic self-esteem); and having the entirely natural (but annoying) arrogance of very young men whom made it very big.

I play at the opposite end of the success scale, in a pub band, and it's the artists that the rock critics and the ageing hipsters hate that get us our biggest reaction, including when we try very hard to sing and play Eagles songs one fifth as well as The Eagles did them.

Never underestimate the power of envy and schadenfreude when a too-wealthy, too- long established, too-big-for-their-boots musician dies. I think it's always poignant when people who have helped soundtrack my life die. In the last month alone, Lemmy, Dale Griffin, Bowie, now Glenn Frey: these were people who archieved at a very high level because they had what it takes.

It's been a week now...but still unbelievable...I've been feeling pretty much the same as Soda...can't listen to any music, or interviews without crying..my heart aches thinking I'll never see new pics of him or hear new songs or interviews..I'm thankful I saw them live 3 times, but it was never enough.
    My heart breaks for Cindy and especially the children...Otis is still so young...and I'm devastated for all the things he will miss out on...his children's graduations, weddings, grand children...I thought he would live to a ripe old age, like his parents..it's so unfair....
    Being in the pharmaceutical industry for the past 34 years, I know that Glenn really had no choice but to take the meds he must've been taking...and I know all too well the ramifications of taking those drugs..I see it every day in my job...but there are really no alternatives...unless you want to stay in constant pain your whole life, but 67, wow that's still too too young to go...
    I thank you SOda for having this site whick let's us share our grief and memories ..I feel I can always come here for news and understanding...it's greatly appreciated....and I hope this site will be here forever...we must never forget this great man.
    When I read all the homages from people who were colleagues/friends/acquaintances/family...I'm so happy that he was exactly who I thought he was...a generous, serious,funny, brilliant, smart family man...Wish I could've met him..
    For me...the Eagles are done....I can't imagine the rest of them going on as a band...and they shouldn't ..They have lost their leader..they had a spectacular "long run"..and their music will play on for years to come...
    Last Monday, when the news was on TV, my 13 year old great niece sent me a message....she had seen the news and had immediately thought how sad I must be...that was so touching...and remarkable really, that she knew who Glenn Frey was....that says it all, doesn't it?
    RIP my beautiful man...will love you forever..

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I forgot to mention this last night. My favorite tv show is M*A*S*H. It's such a realistic show. MeTV airs 2 episodes every night at 7 pm, and whenever I'm at my uncle's house, we flip back and forth between it, Jeopardy, and Judge Judy. The first episode last night dealt with Charles (Major Winchester) becoming obsessed with death, so much so that he drove up to the front to a battalion (sp?) Aid station. He helped them try and save the wounded. One of them was dying because he had too much internal damage. The soldier was still conscious, and Charles asked him what he felt as he slipped away. The soldier said "I smell bread" and he was gone. Normally, I can handle episodes like that. That's why I love that show because it's so realistic. Last night, though, seeing that episode was difficult. I immediately thought of Glenn and his death , what his final months must've been like, and I had to choke back the tears.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I forgot to mention this last night. My favorite tv show is M*A*S*H. It's such a realistic show. MeTV airs 2 episodes every night at 7 pm, and whenever I'm at my uncle's house, we flip back and forth between it, Jeopardy, and Judge Judy. The first episode last night dealt with Charles (Major Winchester) becoming obsessed with death, so much so that he drove up to the front to a battalion (sp?) Aid station. He helped them try and save the wounded. One of them was dying because he had too much internal damage. The soldier was still conscious, and Charles asked him what he felt as he slipped away. The soldier said "I smell bread" and he was gone. Normally, I can handle episodes like that. That's why I love that show because it's so realistic. Last night, though, seeing that episode was difficult. I immediately thought of Glenn and his death , what his final months must've been like, and I had to choke back the tears.
    I have had moments like that. Likewise, I've stopped reading the medical-specific articles regarding Glenn's death. On one hand I get angry at the articles stating the doctors may have been erroneous and on the other hand know that money and access to the best for Glenn was no option and if something could have been done, it would have been. Sad thoughts, I know.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

I was trying to find what Soda wrote. site is doing weird things... but I did get a few looks and stares while driving down my block. I guess blasting HC at max volume does it. made me feel better

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Nancy, you should do what's best for you. My mom keeps photos and belongings of my Dad around, but a certain photo on his dresser was "triggering" her and making her teary every time she saw it, so she put it away. Same thing with a basket of sympathy cards that was on a coffee table. If something is making you feel sad every time you see it, maybe put it away for awhile.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    This is a reader comment against one of those"reassessing the Eagles" stories. Nailed it!
    Thanks for posting that, I agree with it for the most part. One thing I often sense is that it is mainly critics who don't get on well with the Eagles, the tributes from across the music world show that plenty of musicians admire and respect them, and I include people in pub bands and amateur musicians in that. It's also interesting that the poster mentions John Lennon talking about Bee Gees, because I definitely remember reading a quote from Don defending the Bee Gees from one of the UK shows on the HOTE tour. I did a forum search for it and I've found it, the link to the post giving his exact words is below (it wasn't quite where I'd remembered it being though, I'd assumed it was in one of the concert review threads):

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...t=5313&page=31

I think there is probably a better comparison out there than the Bee Gees though, although I'm struggling to think of one that really works right now. US Music critics in the 1970s absolutely loathed Led Zeppelin (each and every album would get torn to pieces in the magazines), and they were clear targets in the punk era, but the problem with that one is that they are well respected now.

FWIW, my own personal view of rock history, trying to be as 'objective' as possible is that the Eagles in the top 10 bands, and probably in the top five, alongside Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd (who I love) and The Beatles and The Stones (who I don't love as much but are I feel too important in rock history to ignore). Coincidentally, all of these bands are/were dominated by two musicians - Lennon and McCartney, Don and Glenn, Jagger and Richards, Plant and Page, and Roger Waters and David Gilmour (maybe a bit more debatable, you could argue Waters was the main man in Pink Floyd but they definitely produced their best music together rather than apart). Or was it a coincidence?

I'd happily discuss why I feel these should be the top five rather than any other serious contenders, but it's too far off track for this thread. I find evaluating the relative places in music history of different bands interesting.

Out on the Border

I want to pay my respects to the man. Hope this is the correct thread. Let me know if not.

My sister and I grew up listening to Eagles songs on the radio. Thank you Larry Lujack "Superjock" especially. We had the albums and would act out Hotel California in the bedroom. New Kid in Town was always my favorite song on that album, a collection of riches. It's just beautifully sung with a lot of feeling and that break "you look in her eyes, the music begins to play" was such a good idea, arrangement wise. For a kid in grade school, that theme about popularity was relatable. I loved Glenn's heartfelt and emotional accompaniment on piano to those timeless songs Desperado and Wasted Time. Also his good ideas, like when they sang Best of My Love live, having that "the best of my looooovv-huuuvve" outro. I think he also was a super and underrated guitarist. I loved he and Bernie together; but all Eagles combinations are OK with me. I loved his acting. He had so much charisma. Of his solo hits, I loved True Love and After Hours the best. That song stood right beside those old standards. It was an incredible composition and so beautifully delivered. I hope Tempchin is doing OK. Finally, and not a small thing, he was a really gorgeous man with beautiful and immaculate hair.

I'm desolated. I'm right now looking to the music and DVDs, music always gets me through, always has in any situation. Best wishes and love to all Eagles fans, Glenn's family, friends, and bandmates, both past and present.

Out on the Border

I am still sad about Glenn dying. My condolences to his family and band. I accidentally found your forum while looking at Glenn's history. Hope to talk with everyone soon.

They are trying to have a portion of Willis Dr in Royal Oak renamed Glenn Frey Dr in remembrance of Glenn: http://wcsx.com/glenn-frey-drive/
    Last edited by GlennLover; 01-28-2016 at 11:12 PM.