Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Well at least he thought about it! Though I'd say Laura had some influence there. Anyway it wasn't in HMV.
    Awww. I was really hoping that it would be there. I want you to hear it so badly!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

This just hasn't been my day! I left the house during my lunch hour and the truck wouldn't start. It always starts first time every time, but I guess you shouldn't leave the phone charger plugged in and then not run it for a month. So after kicking the tire, like it was the truck's fault, I took the car in the pouring rain and hydroplaned to the local stores. None of which have the CD. I guess a person has to be closer to civilization to get new music on release day.

My last stop, the lady said it would only be available online, then turned up her nose and said that 'nobody' buys music on CD anymore. Since that implied I'm 'nobody' I told her I'd buy the other stuff on my list online and walked out of the store. Somewhere in all there is when I noticed I had on my white Eagles t-shirt and it goes completely transparent in the rain. So I came back home and downloaded the CD from Amazon and ordered a copy to be sent to my mother, which will be copies #3 and #4 that I've purchased of this album. The good news is that I'm finally dry and listening to this beautiful voice.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

First impressions, subject to change:

Overall, the thing that stands out to me the most is how rich Glenn's voice is on these songs. I love Glenn's sexy growl on rock songs but his soft voice is just like melted chocolate on this.

With the exception of the songs Glenn sang in Niagara Falls and the title track, I haven't heard any of these songs before, so I'm judging the song (both lyrics and melody) and not just Glenn's rendition of it. Some might say I focus too much on lyrics but that's the way I roll.

For Sentimental Reasons - From the first sung note, you know what you're getting into, as the instruments briefly drop away in that second and it's just Glenn. A very nice song and the way he sings "I love you for sentimental reasons; I hope you do believe me... I've given you my heart" sounds very sweet and genuine. Good choice to start the album.

My Buddy - eh, it's alright. I don't find the term "my buddy" romantic and it spoils the mood for me, especially since it's said over and over and over in the song. It doesn't help that the terms reminds me of the "My Buddy" doll for boys they sold when I was little and its accompanying ad jingle.

Route 66 - cute. It may be a bit out of place, but you gotta have at least one upbeat number. Of course, since the literal Route 66 has no pop culture significance or emotional resonance for most people born after 1970, the song is by its very nature dated; however, I guess that's the idea - most of these songs are not only from the past, they're about the past. Plus, do you really need to know about the literal Route 66 to get the gist of the song and enjoy it? Methinks not.

The Shadow of Your Smile - So. Freakin. Hot. Love this song. It gets me all emotional and makes me want to fall in love. Anyone know of any single, desperately lonely men in the Memphis area? lol

Here's to Life - This wasn't what I expected at all from the title. I thought this song would be upbeat and celebratory. Instead, it too is nostalgic and a bit sad-sounding. As a result, I'm still getting used to this song (I have to admit, this line annoys me: "There's no 'yes' in 'yesterday.' I will have to get used to that, too, lol). However, the way he sings that last "may all your storms be weathered..." is excellent. I'm sure I'll like it more with a few more listens.

It's Too Soon to Know - I really like the melody of this. After hearing it only one time I was already singing with it. It sticks in your head. I think the "fire/flame" line is clever, too. My favorite part is the "Though I'll cry when she's gone, I won't die; I'll live on." The guy in this song needs to have a talk with the guy in "I'm Getting Old Before My Time."

Caroline, No - I like this more every time I listen to it. Again, I love the emotional songs, and he really sells the pain and sadness on this one. The way he sings "Caroline, you break my heart... I want to go and cry" - he sounds absolutely agonized. The only thing I don't like is the falsetto at the end because his voice loses its power when he does that (IMHO).

The Look of Love - This one starts slow, but when you get to the part from "I can hardly wait to hold you" to "Don't ever go" it jumps from "eh" to "ooh!" The lyrics are sexy and he sells it, babe. This one has also gotten stuck in my head.

I'm Getting Old Before My Time
    - Eh. I didn't like this one so much. It makes me think of Glenn hobbling along with a cane - I don't like that image! Plus, regarding the lyrics - the guy in the song has been strung along by a woman for 10 years and still thinks she'll marry him eventually?! Move on, man, or as Shakespeare would say your grave is like to be your wedding bed!

Same Girl - Pretty song, but now that I know this song is about a prostitute thanks to Glenn, it puzzles me. The lyrics don't seem to fit that. I just need to stop thinking about that and focus on the beauty of the melody and Glenn's aching vocal, which is very effective.

After Hours - oh my gosh, I love this song so much! I've had a live version of this for years and have always adored it, so hearing a completed, fully arranged version just amps that love up and fills my heart to bursting! His voice conveys that mixture of sadness and tender nostalgia perfectly. I also think the lyrics are very evocative; I can picture the scene perfectly - both the colorful past and the sepia-tinged present. I'm glad he kept the "rainy streets" line because rain not only conjures up a literal visual of driving past an old haunt in the rain but also has a symbolic meaning as well; it makes me think of those colorful memories running together in the dark like the tremulous blurring of light in a street puddle on a rainy night. Superb and a terrific way to end the album.

I don't have the deluxe tracks yet. When I get home I'll download them from iTunes. I'm going to put all of this on my iPod anyway.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

For crying out loud. I just got an email that because my vinyl copy won't be delivered until May 29, I can download the tunes for free from Glenn's site. So I didn't need to buy the MP3s from Amazon. Hmm.
    VK

I've listened to it twice now and I have to say, it's everything I expected it to be. I've heard almost all the songs before, and while he said he wanted to sing them true to the songs and not put his own interpretation on them, many of them have been covered many times. Like Shadow of Your Smile, I've only ever heard (or remembered) Sinatra's version, and it wasn't a favorite. I think Glenn does a much better job on it (much as I love Glenn, I never thought those words would roll off my typing fingers because I'm a big fan of Frank).

I like them all, some more than others. As I expected, The Look of Love is my favorite. He topped Diana Krall IMO. I guess because I associate Dusty Springfield with my ex-in-laws, I've never cared for her version. He puts a lot more passion into his voice than Diana does, and his pitch and tone is more pure than what I remember from Dusty's. I could listen to this all day.

I won't list every song, but I got this CD with high expectations and he managed to exceed them.
    VK

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

I'm not going to listen until after tomorrow night's show. I want each song to be a sweet surprise. I don't want to have any preconceived notions in my head. I just want to take it all in "in the moment". I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

So far my favorites are After Hours, Caroline No, and Route 66. Especially Caroline No... I was listening to the album while working in my Digital Arts class today and I almost melted. This whole album is just awesome.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    I'm not going to listen until after tomorrow night's show. I want each song to be a sweet surprise. I don't want to have any preconceived notions in my head. I just want to take it all in "in the moment". I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
    You won't HH I'm sure! - have a wonderful evening
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    I wouldn't have thought of that, HH, but I think it is a good idea!

Stuck on the Border

Thanks to everybody for their initial thoughts.