Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

Default Re: Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

Reviving this thread to once again wish a happy birthday to No Fun Aloud!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY NO FUN ALOUD!!!

I just love this awesome album. Right now I'm still celebrating the anniversary of Don's Inside Job, but this one is definitely going in my CD player next.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

HAPPY BIRTHDAY No Fun Aloud!!!

Happy 32nd Birthday to No Fun Aloud. We're about the same age. I'm two years older.

We were talking about No Fun Aloud and, specifically, Partytown, in another thread and it got me to thinking about the Monstertones. Rather than take that thread way off topic, I thought I'd post my thoughts here. According to the album's liner notes, these are the "Monstertones" on Partytown:

Background Vocals by the Monstertones,
    featuring: Duane Monstertone, Leon Blazek, Freddy Buffett, Urban Azoff, Pee Wee Solters, Marion Kinde, Buckley Wideface, Tommy Obnozzio, Jingles Squirrel Heart, Floyd Tempchin, Ollie Blair, Hugh Gotteny, Peter Rennert, John McEnroe and Peter Fleming.

I'm assuming these are Freddy (Jimmy) Buffett, Urban (Irving) Azoff, Pee Wee (Larry) Solters, and Floyd (Jack) Tempchin, and, of course, there is John McEnroe.

Can anyone shed any light on who any of the others may be? I'm wondering if Glenn is Duane Monstertone? Tommy Obnozzio could be Tommy Nixon, but I don't have a clue about the rest of them. Any thoughts?

Stuck on the Border

Leon (Allan) Blazek, producer. Peter Fleming and Peter Rennert were tennis players.

Thanks UTW. I was reading the liner notes after my post, so I did catch that Leon Blazek was Allan. However, I didn't know about the tennis players other than McEnroe.

BTW - The liner notes for this album are very entertaining. If anyone wants to check them out ...

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/nfa/linernotes.htm

I know I've asked this before (probably last year) but anyone know why No Fun Aloud isn't on iTunes? IMO it's his best solo album and the one I listen to the most.

No Fun Aloud was released on a different label - Elektra/Asylum, which is now owned by Warner Music Group. Different labels have different agreements with services like iTunes, and I guess that's what the hold up is. You can't stream it via a paid service, either.

I also imagine the fact that it was on a different label is why the greatest hits Glenn has released always contain the version of it from the Live in Dublin album, which was on MCA. Less messy that way.

Still,there are so many terrific songs on this that it's a shame it's basically withheld from the public unless they buy secondhand or get it by "other means" - which means Glenn isn't getting any royalties from this fantastic album anymore.

Screw you, Warner! Make this album available legally!!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I was able to buy a new CD last year - the most I've ever paid for a CD* - but the stock must be running low as the price is now at least double what I paid. It's a similar story for Henley's "I can't stand still" which was also an Elektra/Asylum release. If I was at Warners, I'd be thinking of cashing in on the success of the documentary by reissuing the first solo efforts of the band-members.

The CD lives in my car and is probably the one I play most, so it giving a good return on investment.

* I paid around £16. In contrast, I was able to buy the 4-disc Eagles "Selected Works" for £7 and a 20-track Hall&Oates greatest hits for £3.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 01-27-2015 at 07:51 AM.