Thread: So much new music in 2017?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default So much new music in 2017?

2017 seems, to me, to be overflowing with new music. Admittedly, we've had no new albums from any Eagles members, though Leap of Faith was close.

But, from other artists that I follow, in no particular order:

A new Fleetwood Mac album, almost (Buckingham McVie)
    A new Roger Waters album. (My favourite solo album by RW.)
    A new Ringo Starr album. (Ringo does what Ringo does, though more rock 'n
    roll this time.)
    A new Depeche Mode album.
    A new Erasure album. (And their best in a LONG time I think.)
    A new Liam Gallagher album. (Bit embarrassed to admit this one as the Gallagher brothers are a bit ... but I liked the first two Oasis albums, and Liam's album sounds good to my ears.)
    A new Beck album. (I don't follow Beck, but I liked occasional songs of his, and do like this album. Greg Kurstin, who produced and co-wrote some of Liam Gallagher's album, co-wrote much of this.)
    A new Brian Eno album.
    A new Steve Jansen album. (Admittedly a re-imagination of a 2016 album, but it's very different.)
    A new Neil Finn album (Recorded live on youtube broadcasts.)

It seems that there is plenty of new material by veterans.

Note: I've only included albums that I like, e.g. I've not mentioned the new Deep Purple album as I've lost interest in their albums as I find them a bit 'by numbers' and ... not so interesting. I've not included albums I haven't checked out yet. (E.g. Sheryl Crow, Alison Moyet.) I've not included EPs (David Bowie, etc.) nor live or compilation albums (Dave Gilmour, New Order, etc.), nor young artists (Lorde), nor foreign artists that people here may not be familiar with (細野晴臣 etc.), nor albums that aren't released yet (Paul McCartney.) To me it just seems that there's a stream of new material by all sorts of artists. And some of these artists are in their 70s are at an age when most people would be thinking of retiring.)

EDIT: This probably should be in 'Singing for the Sake of the Song', but I don't know how to delete this and re-post. Moderator? Help? Please?
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 10-21-2017 at 04:17 AM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: So much new music in 2017?

It has been a big year for music. A lot of the country, pop, and alt-rock artists I listen to have all released new albums or are getting ready to in November and December. A lot I've really liked too and seems positive for music going forward as for me I was starting to find less new music I liked.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

There's a new Noel Gallagher's HFB album too. Also Randy Newman's Dark Matter, Mike + the Mechanics' Let Me Fly, Robert Plant's Carry Fire, Black Country Communion's BCCIV, Steve Hackett's The NIght Siren. Those are some of the artists I'm with these days.

And quite frankly next year should be the big one for me personally, as I expect a new album by Mark Knopfler.

It's interesting to see the range of music. It seems that once you're in this business, you can check out, but you can never leave.

@FreyPower I've never really gotten into Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, but I've just listened to 'Riverman' from his 2015 album, and like it much more than last time I listened to it. I'll give the whole album a listen.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 10-22-2017 at 05:54 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    It's interesting to see the range of music. It seems that once you're in this business, you can check out, but you can never leave.

@FreyPower I've never really gotten into Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, but I've just listened to 'Riverman' from his 2015 album, and like it much more than last time I listened to it. I'll give the whole album a listen.
    There is the self titled album & Chasing Yesterdays. The new one is called Who Built The Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    There is the self titled album & Chasing Yesterdays. The new one is called Who Built The Moon.
    Thank. I listened to Chasing Yesterdays and liked it; I plan to buy it. I'm not sure what put me off them before, but it might have been that I listened to the debut album and didn't like it. I'll listen to the debut again, and the new album when it comes out. Spotify is very useful.