Page 43 of 129 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    We're getting there.

The song that touches me is Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise.

Sooner or later we all have to die
    Sooner or later, that's a stone-cold fact,
    Four men ride out and only three ride back
    Whoa. this does hit a note.... wow.

Hey everyone not sure of youve seen this remarkable footage online of Glenn and his son playing and singing together onstage for a charity show at the Roxy in 2009. I think it was for an Aids charity and it features Deacon singing HC with his dad on backing vocals and then he does the ending guitar solo really well. Extroadinary fooatge also of YBTTC and TS, it features some of Glenns band but mainly Don Was and his two sons on guitar and drums. Incredible and the HC performance is emotional as his son is so young and does his father proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB2_71tIOMw
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for posting that. Don Was's wife, Emma Corfield, has posted lots of good quality video from the chairty shows they did in 2009 and 2010. She said this on her Facebook page:
    Here are Glenn and Don playing with their sons, Deacon & Henry. Glenn was so generous to play the kids' benefit three years in a row and here's one song from the 2010 benefit at the House of Blues raising $ for AIDS orphans. Glenn was incredibly generous with his time, energy, music and wisdom. He was a tough task master and a perfectionist, but warm and welcoming and funny as hell. We're missing you terribly Glenn, and ache with the loss.
    Thank you for the music, the love and the laughs. The Wases xoxox

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I saw those vids a couple weeks back on Tumblr. So nice seeing Glenn and Deacon perform together.

Had an unexpected Glenn moment this morning as I heard Brooks and Dunn's song "You're Going to Miss Me When I'm Gone" and went into tears again. I forgot about this song as it's not one they play too much now but it did sound so much like an Eagles song. It got me remembering when I last saw Brooks and Dunn in concert and when they performed this the video screen behind them started showing pictures of famous celebrities that has passed like Johnny Cash, Dale Earnhardt, and even JFK. I remember too this song was a break up song but it somehow changed over the years as it got played at funerals, and them showing the photos made me realize how it fits that way. So hearing it now and how much is sounds like an Eagles song Glenn would've sang lead on I just started crying.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Hey everyone not sure of youve seen this remarkable footage online of Glenn and his son playing and singing together onstage for a charity show at the Roxy in 2009. I think it was for an Aids charity and it features Deacon singing HC with his dad on backing vocals and then he does the ending guitar solo really well. Extroadinary fooatge also of YBTTC and TS, it features some of Glenns band but mainly Don Was and his two sons on guitar and drums. Incredible and the HC performance is emotional as his son is so young and does his father proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB2_71tIOMw
    Love this! They did a great job and how nice of Glenn and Don W. to do this. I bet it was really fun to do this with their kids!

Thanks for sharing OtB!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Soda and I were fortunate enough to see two of these benefits that Glenn performed at with Deacon and Don and Henry Was, as well as several of their other very talented classmates. Unfortunately, we missed the 2009 show. Below are the links to the threads if you want to read about them ...

The Roxy 2008

House of Blues 2010

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, music fans of all ages, I am the ancient one, Glenn Frey, and this is Nepotism Incorporated. Welcome to an evening where Don Was and I make our children play songs that were written and recorded before they were born."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

For some reason, This Way to Happiness has been stuck in my mind for the past few days. Soda mentioned that song last week and it's one of my favorite Glenn solo songs. These words just get me:

I've rolled this rig from coast to coast
    I've seen alot, I've done more than most
    I was like a sailor lost at sea
    When, like an angel from above, you came down and rescued me

and

This way to happiness, the train is leavin'
    Over the mountain, down to the sea
    The highway to freedom is when you start believin'
    This way to happiness for you and me

Bittersweet. I can just see Glenn singing this about Cindy.

And I know some of you can't listen to his songs yet, but I can't listen to anyone else. I have his songs on shuffle on my ipod and I can't change it. Somehow, they give me comfort hearing his voice.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Here is a tribute to Glenn that was posted by one of his After Hours touring band members, Wade Biery. Some of us met Wade and chatted with him several times during Glenn's After Hours tour - he was very friendly and seemed like a really nice guy. There is a link to Wade's Facebook page earlier in this thread with the same writeup, but I'll go ahead and post it here ...

http://www.stillmusic.com/?p=1880

My TOUR WORK - posted on January 18, 2016 by Wade Biery
    Glenn Frey

So yeh, Glenn has died…another of the Greats now gone.

I’m not the one to eulogize him. I worked with him for several years and of course that means I got to know him to some small degree, but of course I also knew him in only one segment of his long and amazing career, and I can hardly say that I *KNEW* him. That’s for his family, of course the other Eagles, his long time business partners, and all the other musicians who all knew him longer, better, and deeper than I ever would have or did. The guys that I worked with when I was with him had almost all worked with him as the Eagles band as well, so there’s lots of other people who can speak about him much better than I.

But of course it affects me, and a lot of people know I worked with him and they’re concerned and interested, so I’ll say a couple things….

First of all, I liked Glenn.

He was always cool with me, was generous with me and others when I was working with him, and although of course rock lore is full of all kinda stories, MY experience of him was good. There were times he would be in the same restaurant that some of us might be eating in, and our waiter would come over and say something like “the gentleman that was sitting over there has picked up your check”, and it would be a pretty big tab, but I always thought that was very classy. He didn’t have to do that, he just did. We often rode with him in his jet, (yeh I know, tough life!!), and sometimes he would just wander from chair to chair talking with different guys and just kinda hanging…he did that with me once and it seemed that for a bit he was enjoying just doing what we do, playing music and then hanging about after the gig talking…

He knew a lot about what he did of course, and I learned a few things from him, which at this point is teaching an old dog some tricks, but was he was very good at this thing and he had good thoughts about how it should be done….and yes of course, if he wanted something done a certain way, that’s how it was to be, NO question. And that was fine, he knew how to be Glenn Frey better than anyone else did for damn sure. And he was a REALLY good Glenn Frey, he could really sing, he could really play in the groove, and he knew how to run a show like a CEO….but maybe most of all, I think he actually still really LIKED it…like the part of him that made him get into it in the first place was STILL in him after all those years, and he would sing himself hoarse, get covered in sweat, and leave it all out there….I thought that was awesome, it made me like him more for it.

With him I got to do some things I’d never done before, and to play with an amazing group of musicians playing some of the best popular music that has ever been made. And yes, I’d look over singing harmony with him on like “Lyin’ Eyes” or another song where I’d be singing with just him and me on one of the verses and think, “Holy Shit, this is actually happening!!”, and feel validated for my life choices in a way that most people who do what I do never get a chance to be. If you get to play with some someone like Glenn, it makes some of the downsides of this musician life seem not quite so silly, so irresponsible and childish. There’s not many people who will pooh-pooh doing THAT, and for a guy who grew up a bit on the iffy side in Alaska, it was powerful for me.

Playing with Glenn I also got a chance to get to know and play with Joe Walsh a bit, who was one of my serious idols as a young musician growing up in Alaska, and I can’t say enough good about that experience for me, he’s a sweet guy and one of the greats in Rock music, it was thrilling and an honor.

My time with Glenn came at a time in my life that was very tough for me on a personal level, a difficult and very low period that made the work with him all the better for me, and it helped balance things out, and I’m grateful to him and others that I worked with during that time, it really mattered. The guys in the band were wonderful to me, very supportive and helpful both on and off stage, I made good friends and had some great times.

Today I was sitting at a table in Starbucks when my phone started blowing up and I saw what I was being told was true….I was almost surprised how bad I felt about it, but I did; he was a Big Deal guy, but also someone that I worked with quite a bit and did a lot with, it matters.
    I want to mention my good buddy Jonathan Clark. Without Jonathan I wouldn’t have had many of the good gigs I’ve had in my life…yes…WE have to carry our weight when we get in the room, but someone has to get us INTO the room, and a number of times for me that was Jonathan, and definitely so in the case of Glenn. Thank you for that!

I really enjoyed my time with Glenn, and it was truly an honor to have been involved with even my little small bit of that great story.

Thanks Glenn.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, music fans of all ages, I am the ancient one, Glenn Frey, and this is Nepotism Incorporated. Welcome to an evening where Don Was and I make our children play songs that were written and recorded before they were born."

. On man, Glenn's sense of humor!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time