Thread: Joe Walsh in the Press - Retro Edition!

Default Joe Walsh in the Press - Retro Edition!

Found this in the People Magazine archives:

People Magazine - July 8, 1991

SLAMMING THE DOOR
    Guitar great Joe Walsh, whose new album is aptly titled Ordinary Average Guy, says he has never understood the lionization of rock stars by young fans. "A whole bunch of us are complete idiots, but kids need something to identify with," says Walsh, 43. "What's the big deal about Jim Morrison, for instance? Why did they make a movie about him? Why is he a rock martyr? The idiot drowned in a bathtub. Is that cool? I don't think so. It's a lot harder to stay alive and deal with it. And he couldn't even sing for s—-. He OD'd—anybody can do that. That's pitiful."

[ouch!]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Joe Walsh in the Press - Retro!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    And he couldn't even sing for s—-.

[ouch!]
    This really p*ssed me off!!! Are you kidding me Joe? I agree Jim was a complete idiot (as, like he said, are most rock stars) but seriously, does he really think the man had no talent? This is the first time Joe has ever p*ssed me off!! I hope it was another Joeism and he wasn't really serious!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: Joe Walsh in the Press - Retro!

That was very nice of Joe to dis Jim Morrison, he had problems yes but still, you shouldn't do that
    Oh they tell me there is a place over younder cool water running through the burning sand until we learn to love one another we will never reach the promised land. Hole In The World 2001

Default Re: Joe Walsh in the Press - Retro Edition!

Some excerpts from
    The Commercial Appeal
    (Memphis) - January 29, 1995

Soaring Eagles: Shaped-up Walsh returns to Memphis
    Larry Nager

"Talk about inflation! Used to be, Memphis rock fans could catch Joe Walsh playing guitar around town for just a $ 2 cover charge. But if you want to see him Monday, it'll run you at least 20 times that, and that's if you can still find a ticket. Of course, this time out, Walsh will be playing at The Pyramid with Don Henley, Glenn Frey and the rest of the Eagles reunion.

<snip>

But back in the mid-'80s, Walsh was one of the locals, sitting in with bands at Murphy's and clubs on Overton Square, playing benefits and just generally hanging out. After spending the late '70s in the eye of the Eagles storm, it was a much needed break for the guitarist.

''I wasn't getting much done in Los Angeles at the time,'' Walsh recalled in a telephone interview. ''And Memphis was and still is a real center of undiscovered talent and just tradition. And in the West Coast's continuing search for some kind of identity, I just decided to come to Memphis and spend time there.''

While here, he worked with Gary Belz, who had earlier been involved in renovating and reopening The Peabody. Together, the pair opened Kiva Recording Studio, which is currently being converted to the first House of Blues Studio.

''It's going to have kind of a headquarters for blues-related things,'' Walsh explained, speaking in a recent phone interview. ''It'll be a vehicle to launch some new people who are really deserving of recognition and continue researching of stuff that's around and getting it out.''

Among the planned projects for House of Blues is a release by the Gales Brothers - Eric, Eugene and Manuel Gales, the latter of whom is known on the international blues circuit as Little Jimmy King. Another House of Blues album will feature previously unreleased Albert King recordings that also feature Walsh on second guitar. Walsh returned to Memphis to perform a slide guitar arrangement of Amazing Grace at Albert King's funeral on Dec. 28, 1992.

<snip>

Walsh is hoping to do another solo album and says he has been trying to come up with a funny title for it, a trademark of the man whose albums include ''Got Any Gum?'' and ''The Smoker You Drink the Player You Get.'' ''I'm thinking about it. I better come experience Memphis before I finalize one. I'm sure there's one floating around down there on Beale Street.''

Walsh looks back fondly to his own days of floating around down on Beale. ''I tell you what, it really expanded my awareness,'' he said. ''It was a real kick in the pants playing with some of the folks downtown. It was great to get back in a club situation. We're so used to playing one set a night in a concert format, it was great to just get down to the roots again. It really opened my eyes to an awful lot of music. . . . There's nothing like going back to the basics to get headed off in a new direction. It really brought me around to basic blues and stuff when I probably was trying to over-intellectualize or over-orchestrate. Sometimes less is more, y'know.''

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Love these, Soda. I just got around to reading these and they immediately made me think "what a difference time makes"!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Joe mentions in the press

I'm sure this has been posted at some point, but I've never seen it before.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/ArticleR...aspx?id=123903

Mike and Austin will eat that up if they havent already seen it. I can only read that stuff to a point and then my eyes start to glaze over.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I can only read that stuff to a point and then my eyes start to glaze over.
    Haha I couldn't have put it better! But it's good we have Mike and Austin to explain stuff to us when needed!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

I came across this interview of Bryan Garofalo, a bass player who worked with Joe in the 70s. Bryan had a lot more connections with the Eagles than I realized. The interview pre-dates his stint in Randy's band, the Silverados. I thought he had some interesting things to say about Joe's style, esp. compared to Jackson Browne's, lol.

There's a weird trip with the microphone situation. Working with Joe, which was a full, straight ahead rock 'n' roll band with the qualude crowd.....you know. ''Hey, boogie, boogie," screaming all the time. We'd pretend to get into it a little better. We'd say, "Go ahead, yell anything you like. You paid, we've got your money." Just kidding with the people, goofing off. If there was a lull in the set with Joe, I could get away with running up to the microphone and saying, "How many smokers we got out there?" "Yeeaaah." "How many drinkers we got out there?" "Yeeaaah." ''How many fools we got out there?" "Yeeeaaaah!" You could say anything. I did that once with Jackson. He said, "No, don't do that!" Jackson's a whole 'nother kind of thing. They took my microphone away! Jackson says some really nice things in his songs and is real proud of his music and the way it's presented. I can get into that, for sure. It's a little different from Joe's band! David Mason was in Joe's band as well, so we've kicked around for a long time, got through a few things together.
    "Looking Back to Things to Come with Bryan Garofalo" Omaha Rainbow, Dec. 6, 1976

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...