Page 91 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

I finally had the opportunity over the holiday to read Ken Caillat's book on the recording of Rumours and enjoyed it very much. I wish he would do a sequel covering the recording of Tusk and Mirage!

Some random thoughts and impressions: Mick Fleetwood's most recent book stated - or very strongly implied - that Lindsey helped Stevie and Christine to craft/arrange their songs. Caillat's book does not support that view at all, at least in my interpretation. Both women wrote alone and brought their songs to the band - not always fully developed, but that's true of everyone. Lindsey did extensive overdubs where he added nuances and layers to all of the tracks but IMO overdubbing is a damned far cry from what both Mr. Fleetwood and Mr. Buckingham have at times claimed. Just my two cents.

Not that Caillat is a champion of female musicians. The part where he and Dashut (his co-engineer/producer) chanted with glee "No more girls!" and spread Playboy pictures over the console when Chris and Stevie took some time off seems mean-spirited and unwarranted. It's not like Christine or Stevie ever interfered with their work or were difficult. Stevie often sat between the two engineers in the control room but Caillat said she was sweet, quiet and had a wonderful sense of humor. Chris was exacting about her piano being tuned but the engineers didn't have to do that; they just called the piano tuner. Weird. I guess they didn't like for women to penetrate the inner sanctum of maleness that is/was the recording studio.

Caillat's portrayal of Lindsey B as a "difficult and unhappy person" prone to outbursts of temper and occasional aggression gives some credence to the Carol Ann Harris book. Caillat reports that Lindsey once punched his girlfriend at the time, Christina. Hopefully, Mr. B has his personal thing together now.

The book also made me admire Stevie more, because Caillat says her position in the band at the time was kind of marginal. It's a triumph that she ended up being the most famous and successful member of FM.

I came across this ancient and charming interview while researching the location of Penguin Promotions: http://nodepression.com/article/i-wa...ood-mac-memoir

Cameron Crowe wasn't the only wunderkind rock journalist

That article was fantastic! I've never seen it before and I loved it. Thanks for the link!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Oh, I'm so glad you liked it. Relieved it wasn't posted before too

I'm not sure if the "Buckingham McVie" album warrants its own thread as a musical group, but here's the article from the LA Times that announces it:
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...113-story.html

Heck, it was going to be an FM album, but from Stevie's recent interviews, she doesn't seem that interested in working on it. I think she said that albums don't make much money anymore, and the stress from working with everyone in the band doesn't justify the result.

My speculations:
    If given more time, Stevie may have worked on it. However, they can't just wait forever, can they? I'm hopeful for an FM tour with the 5, and not just the 4 band members touring. Mick and John did work on the album with Lindsey and Christine, since it was going to be an FM album until now. I guess you could call it Fleetwood Mac w/o Stevie, but that's a heavy blow. Sorry if I sound a little pessimistic or negative, but I am truly excited and can't wait for the album to come out in May. It's just that I wish everyone was involved.

ETA: Another article w/ Lindsey and Christine recording in the Village Recorder in LA - http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html

Also, the deluxe version for Tango in the Night is getting released on February 24th. Geez, they really want to break my wallet. I was hoping for a "Caroline" demo, but I don't see it on the 2 disc Expanded edition. The deluxe doesn't have an announced track list yet.

Amazon links:
    2-disc Expanded - https://www.amazon.com/Tango-Night-E...o+in+the+night

Deluxe 3-disc/1 LP/1 DVD - https://www.amazon.com/Tango-Night-D...o+in+the+night

Thank you very much for the L.A. Times article, Rudie. Whew! Didn't see that option coming: a Buckingham McVie album. Surprising and intriguing. And isn't it cool that musicians in their 60s and 70s are still growing, challenging themselves and their audience? Quite.

Also loved the article on the legendary studio Village Recorder. Doors fans will recall that Jim Morrison recorded his poetry there in 1970. I'm quite perplexed that John Mayer is wealthy enough to have a whole floor of the studio reserved for himself on an ongoing basis. Geez. He's not the Beatles at Abbey Road or The Stones at Olympic is he? Don't mind me, I'm just bitter and envious.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 01-14-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Hadn't heard this till now and that's interesting. Thanks Rudie for sharing!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Lots of drama in the Mac fan forums about all of this. You guys think the fighting in here is bad, lol. Some Stevie fans are calling Buckingham McVie a "betrayal" and that they should have kept waiting for Stevie or just not released the material at all! Meanwhile, other fans of the band are excoriating Stevie for her lack of participation.

My opinion: Stevie has made it clear that she has no desire to record another album with Fleetwood Mac, and nobody's getting any younger, so I understand their decision to release it without her under a different moniker. I just wish Stevie could have participated so that we would have a Fleetwood Mac album with the Rumours 5 to wrap things up instead of Say You Will being their last album.

I'm also glad to hear we're getting a re-release of Tango in the Night. It wasn't my favorite album of theirs, but I'm excited for the extras!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I thought Christine really shone (doesn't she always though) on Tango in the Night. Her songs are *so* melodic, sparkling like little pop gems.