Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

The way I read the quote about Glenn and the songwriting credit was that the success of the song more than paid Jackson back for giving Glenn a little credit. He said "we paid him back a little while later" which indicates to me he was talking about the Eagles as a group.

I did get tickled with him talking about he hadn't read enough books to be a good songwriter at first. I suspect his reading material at that time consisted mainly of car magazines and "other," non-parent approved items. LOL. He was a stoner, and I think I picked up a little sheepishness in his tone.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I had to smile at his description of being part of a group of "secret intellectuals" in Aspen

So I just got this album and listened to it for the first time this weekend. My feelings are somewhat mixed. I'm not a fan of this kind of music, but Glenn did a beautiful job and it was sweet that he did this for his parents. I thought some of the songs chosen were questionable (I'm not a fan of My Buddy) and listening to song after song, I was waiting for the album to kick it up a bit; after a while, all of the songs sounded the same. After Hours (the song) is gorgeous, though, one of his best with Tempchin. I can't believe they wrote this in the 80s. I would have liked to see another album of Frey/Tempchin originals. I am glad to have Glenn's last work, though.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

This pretty much sums up how I feel about this album, groupie.

I actually never even posted in this thread until the day of the first anniversary of its release. I didn't want to quash other's excitement over the album and wanted to give it time to see if it grew on me. It did actually somewhat, but it's still my least favorite of Glenn's solo work. It's just not my favorite type of music. As I've said before, I think it speaks volumes that most people's favorite song on the album is the song that Glenn himself wrote with Jack Tempchin.

Having said this, I will say that I absolutely loved the After Hours tour.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I love the album every song has it special place but my favorites are The Look of Love, Caroline, No.

Here's the trailer where Glenn talks about the album and why he was glad he waited to do it when he did.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_HezXTiOCNw

I think Glenn said it best himself in the Art of The Song interview when he explained during the making of After Hours he had been a rock and roll star most of his adult life and now he was a "musician". Glenn had a lot of soul and was such a romantic at heart it makes sense to me he would be drawn to the music of his parents generation as well as more contemporary love songs like Caroline, No and The Look of Love.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-09-2018 at 02:39 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

"The Look of Love." Oh my. Love, love it! And Caroline, No. And of course, the title track. His voice is just pure spring water on this album.

I've read that interview too and I appreciate this album meant a lot to him. It's a sweet gesture; this type of music is just not my cup of tea. Maybe it will grow on me with time, as lot of Glenn's work seems to. I would have liked an album of Frey/Tempchin originals more though. It really does speak volumes that After Hours is the favorite song of most...it was better, imo, than all the songs he was covering on the album. Such beautiful imagery.

@groupie2686: I understand. I like this genre of music, so it was all great to me.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I've read that interview too and I appreciate this album meant a lot to him. It's a sweet gesture; this type of music is just not my cup of tea. Maybe it will grow on me with time, as lot of Glenn's work seems to. I would have liked an album of Frey/Tempchin originals more though. It really does speak volumes that After Hours is the favorite song of most...it was better, imo, than all the songs he was covering on the album. Such beautiful imagery.
    Hi Groupie, Jack Tempchin recently recorded an album of songs he wrote with Glenn Frey. It's on his webite. I have listened to a few of the songs it's quite good he does a couple of duets that are very nice.

jacktempchin.com

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    So I just got this album and listened to it for the first time this weekend. My feelings are somewhat mixed. I'm not a fan of this kind of music, but Glenn did a beautiful job and it was sweet that he did this for his parents. I thought some of the songs chosen were questionable (I'm not a fan of My Buddy) and listening to song after song, I was waiting for the album to kick it up a bit; after a while, all of the songs sounded the same. After Hours (the song) is gorgeous, though, one of his best with Tempchin. I can't believe they wrote this in the 80s. I would have liked to see another album of Frey/Tempchin originals. I am glad to have Glenn's last work, though.
    I agree about My Buddy & also to some extent about I'm Getting Old Before My Time & Worried Mind. I tend to agree that perhaps one more uptempo track to go with Route 66 would have helped.

Also, although I love the song After Hours, it isn't my favourite track here. My favourites are Here's To Life, Same Girl & The Shadow Of Your Smile.

In my view Glenn had done more than enough work with Jack Tempchin. If I could have had anything besides After Hours I would have liked an album of songs he wrote on his own. He was quite capable of that.