Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Great Garth Cancellation Fiasco

Default Re: The Great Garth Cancellation Fiasco

That's too bad. I saw Garth before, and his concerts are unbelievable. We were on our feet the entire time. Sounds like the residents got a little greedy and have ruined it for everyone. Hopefully he will come back another time. When we saw him, he was on his farewell tour. He scheduled his concerts about a week apart and then told the promoters he would do as many shows in that time that they could sell out. Where we were, he sold out four. And his tickets were cheap. I only paid $25 for a lower bowl seat. He is really all about the fans. That being said, I guess I don't understand why he didn't to the original three shows.

What a delightful outcome. I hope those residents and their representative are happy now. They don't have to endure the horror of bad traffic and noise for five days. How selfish of the Irish fans to ask these residents to suffer so terribly in the first place. Starving children on the streets is nothing compared to the agonies suffered by those who have five big concerts in their neighborhood. No doubt their comfort and convenience is far more important than the needs of the entire Dublin area.

/sarcasm

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

What a real shame this is. However, IMO, Garth made the right decision to cancel all of the shows under the circumstances.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well it's not over yet believe it or not. Yesterday Garth wrote to the promotors asking if there was any way this could be saved. There are 12 containers en route to Ireland and basically things can progeria until they are sent back. Now the more senior politicians have become aware of what a loss to the economy and this city will be. As well as the damage to out international reputation in terms of other big events we might pitch for in the future. Our prime minister who last week felt he could not interfere in a'private' matter is now prepared to meet all sides. The Croke Park residents have withdrawn all objections.

The biggest ticket refund plan in the history of the state has been organised to start next week. Why delay it?

And it's thought the City Manager might lose his job over this.

Never say never......

It's not over yet
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour

I don't know GA, there's more to this than is coming out. To quote Don (as I usually do!), 'there's three sides to every story...yours and mine and the cold hard truth..'

And personally, I think Garth Brooks has to take some of the blame. If he was orignally willing to do 2 concerts and then 3, why then declare he'd be losing money by not having all five?

I do agree that the promotors and corporation should have come together a lot sooner to sort it out. And as for the GAA - don't get me started!!! Money, money, money is their theme tune.

Apparently, now the Taoiseach is looking into it...talk about a mess.

That's good old Ireland for you
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

This has been an interesting and disheartening situation all around. As GA says, never say never. Garth's press conference is today at noon Eastern Standard Time (about 2 hours from now) and is being streamed live on his website. Given the most recent posts here, I'm REALLY interested now to hear what might be said about this entire ordeal. Maybe there IS still a chance.

As I said in an earlier post, the folks who live in the area of Croke Park HAD to know the ramifications of being in such close proximity to the stadium and the inconveniences associated with events at the facility. The revenues generated surely bolster the local economy. As I understand it, the location has been used for events for over 100 years. People need to think of the greater good and get over it!
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

From Rolling Stone Magazine:

The press conference doubled as a forum for Brooks to talk at length about the cancellation of his five sold-out concerts in Ireland, originally slated for July 25-29 at Dublin's Croke Park. A government permit snafu with two of the five shows forced the promoter to cancel the entire run. With reporters from Ireland in the audience, the Oklahoma native addressed them directly and fielded their questions about the ordeal.

"Ireland’s people should never be embarrassed. Most loving people on earth," Brooks said. "If the prime minister himself wants to talk to me, I will craw, I will swim… I will drop on my knees and beg for those 400,000 people to have fun and come sing.

"If anyone on the planet is sad about [the cancellations], you're not one-billionth as sad as I am."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz375ka1mLv
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    I don't know GA, there's more to this than is coming out. To quote Don (as I usually do!), 'there's three sides to every story...yours and mine and the cold hard truth..'

And personally, I think Garth Brooks has to take some of the blame. If he was orignally willing to do 2 concerts and then 3, why then declare he'd be losing money by not having all five?
    The deal was never 2 then 3 then 5. It was always 5. It's just the way the promotors drip feed the dates to the public. Remember, the day before the tickets went on sale for supposedly 1 concert I saw on eaglesband.com that the Eagles had released 3 nights in Dublin. Then the second two nights were taken down. Once night 1 sold out night 2 went 'live'. Then about a week later night 3 was released 'due to unprecedented demand'.

Brooks claims he would not break even on 3 nights so it's unlikely he ever agreed initially to do 2! We just didn't know it at the time.

Ok still no idea what's happening. I really want to know one way or another. What a fiasco!
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour

Okay, I get what you're saying GA but it isn't looking promising at the moment
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

You're right, it doesn't. And I had promised to take my parents away for a few days that week after the Monday night gig. Now I'm afraid to book anything as there may be a compromise to schedule in a 'break' between the weekend and weekday concerts. What a mess. At this stage I just want to know what's happening one way or another.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP