Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: KISS

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: KISS

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Cool! Maybe he spotted Glenn smiling and clapping during KISS' induction, whereas some of the celebs and musicians on the floor looked... well, not so enthusiastic.
    Glenn smiled and clapped? That's very cool! He certainly isn't a musical snob if he did that. In his position in rock/pop music he could easily look down to KISS and sneer. Maybe he's - unlike some celebrities - clever enough to realise that the makeup and show thing is just meant to be fun and it doesn't make the music bad.

Incidentally, when the original KISS made a surprise appearance at Grammy Awards in 1996 (before they had played a note in public), you can see Don Felder clapping and smiling. At 0:54 mark in this clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekttWq_XDow

But in his book he kind of puts KISS down. But it's funny, he says that the Eagles didn't move enough on stage (or something like that) when he saw them before he joined. And when he had joined, he says the Eagles didn't need a show, unlike KISS.
    Anyway, when I read his book I was thinking that maybe his smile in that clip is more sarcastic than sincere? Timothy's facial expression looks rather neutral.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-04-2014 at 03:47 AM.

Stuck on the Border

By the way....
    I may have mentioned this before somewhere in this forum. This is a thing that keeps coming up all the time in the KISSFAQ forum - just popped up again. Paul Stanley always says that Shandi by KISS was inspired by Hollies’ version of Bruce Springsteen's “4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy). As far as I know Paul has never mentioned Joe's Tomorrow, but there's an obvious similarity. Shandi can be found on a KISS album, but Paul is actually the only KISS member who plays or sings on it. Paul plays even some guitar licks in the intro that can be heard in Joe's song. What's even more funny is that there's a song called Tomorrow (also by Paul) on the same album that Shandi is on.

Joe Walsh: Tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--f9y3gNftk

KISS: Shandi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWNYLMUg6B0

I'd never thought about it, but they do sound similar!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Pretty similar.

There's actually an Illinois originals band that has a song with a riff that is a direct copy from All Night Long (Joe's tune)... Just different words and slightly different chord progressions. Wish I could remember the link to it on their "MySpace" (that old), it was a friend who shared it with me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm reading Paul's book right now. Chiam I'm surprised you didn't mention this little snippet.

On February 18th Casablanca unveiled KISS at a party in Los Angeles. Before they finished playing everybody cleared the room. Too loud, too garish they complained. "Hey we weren't the Eagles. No comfortable volume of songs about being desperate in a desert. We were East coast and proud of it and thought the whole west coast cowboy things was a bit of a joke."

I'm glad years later they all respect each other. I like both bands for their individualities.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Elizasong View Post
    I'm reading Paul's book right now. Chiam I'm surprised you didn't mention this little snippet.

On February 18th Casablanca unveiled KISS at a party in Los Angeles. Before they finished playing everybody cleared the room. Too loud, too garish they complained. "Hey we weren't the Eagles. No comfortable volume of songs about being desperate in a desert. We were East coast and proud of it and thought the whole west coast cowboy things was a bit of a joke."

I'm glad years later they all respect each other. I like both bands for their individualities.
    I didn't remember that. A rather dumb thing to say, but then again people tend to say dumb and over-simplified things about people they have decided to criticize. KISS is nothing but a show. Eagles is only about being desperate in the desert. And it's always "our" way that is the only right way to do it - and everyone else should do it too. It's rather funny actually.

Oh, I took it as he was just being upfront. I think he didn't get the country rock thing but I don't think he was criticizing.

Stuck on the Border

I understand if Paul didn't dig the overall "scene", but here he mentions songs about being desperate in the desert. He has a very broad taste in music, so I'm sure he could still enjoy a good song when he heard one. Randy Newman was part of the East Coast scene, but his songs were far beyond being "desperate in the desert". Neil Young was part of the scene. They way Paul talks about this in the book sure makes it seem like he still thinks that way. But anyway, since Paul started to tweet he's sounded like a cranky old man.

Stuck on the Border

A recent topic in the KISSFAQ forum. I guess you can guess which one is me.
    http://www.kissfaq.com/forum11/viewt...p?f=1&t=105887

I am wearing a KISS t-shirt right now