Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What band/artist are you into at the moment?

Border Troubadour

Default Re: What band/artist are you into at the moment?

Getting into Yes recently. Squire I consider the greatest bassist ever and Wakeman is an absolute God on keyboards. Add in Steve Howe's ability to play anything with horizontal strings, and Anderson / Bruford or White and you've got a pretty awesome set-up. Love a decent bit of prog and some of the lyrics / concepts they come up with are superb.

Quote Originally Posted by prayfordaylight View Post
    I agree with all of this. I consider Van Halen and Van Hagar separate bands but both good bands. You just can't compare the two even though 3/4 of the members were the same.

The less said about Gary Cherone, the better LOL.
    Yeah I consider Van Hagar more soft rock with a pop edge, but good songs. Van Halen with DLR was definitely edgier and more hard rock and a bit more "raw", for lack of a better word.

And I echo your last statement!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by cricrichan View Post
    I've been listening a lot to Toto's songs again lately ... just re-discovered them and now I can definitely say they are my second favorite band after Our Boys and I'd love to see them in concert someday

P.s. I'm going to tell you a secret: I have a crush on Steve Lukather and Joseph Williams Shhh ... don't tell them
    Not to mention the fact that a certain gorgeous bass player we both love sang a lot of back up for them, and you can often hear him on their songs!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Yeah I consider Van Hagar more soft rock with a pop edge, but good songs. Van Halen with DLR was definitely edgier and more hard rock and a bit more "raw", for lack of a better word.

And I echo your last statement!
    I was a huge Van Halen fan in the 80s, and much prefer DLR. Although, if I am to be completely honest, my favorite was Eddie. I had such a huge crush, I was certain that I was going to grow up to marry him. I cannot tell you how much I hated Valerie Bertinelli when she stole my man!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    "We'll get higher and higher...." Yep. Catchy song! I just got 5150 on vinyl.

Van Hagar gets a lot of hate. My personal Van Hagar song is "Finish What Ya Started". That funky riff is so cool. I dig that era. DLR era is my favorite but the Hagar era isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Now Van Halen III with Gary Cherone - now that SUCKED!
    I loved the group with Hagar!! I always liked Sammy, so when he joined them I was happy!! I never took them very seriously with DLR. They were more Hair Band than Rock for me. Forgive me for being so graphic, but to me, it always sounded like someone was squeezing his family jewels at the end of every line.

Now, however, I seem to be into Molly Hatchet. Flirting With Disaster is a great song IMO, and it's been in my head for days. I don't know why, but in the early summer, I have a tendency to get into Southern Rock. I'll make my way through .38 Special and Lynyrd Skynyrd and few others and be up to someone like G&R by the beginning of July.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 06-14-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Forgive me for being so graphic, but to me, it always sounded like someone was squeezing his family jewels at the end of every line.
    LMAO!!!!!!

Lots of singers with that characteristic.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

"Argus" by Wishbone Ash.

I felt like some guitar music and it's hard to beat the twin guitars of Andy Powell and Ted Turner. I'd forgotten how good everything else was, too.

If you like guitars and you've never listened to this, what's your excuse?

BTW, it may start off acoustic but it doesn't stay that way for long.

Eagles always

Doobie Brothers
    Rascal Flatts
    LIttle Big Town
    Brad Paisley

I love a lot of music from the 70s. sorta discovering music from that time, one artist at a time, this week for me has been Kansas; love their first album and so far found their songs all very easy to enjoy! Also been listening to others like Cat Stevens and Player (who had more great songs than Baby Come Back)
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Recently I've been begun to discover Deep Purple (Mk2 version with Ian Gillan and Roger Glover). I became curious about their music after watching a really interesting BBC documentary about hard rock and early heavy metal which featured a fair bit of their music. So I've only really heard the Machine Head album - my favourite song so far has been Highway Star (those guitar and organ solos are awesome!). I intend to buy this when I get the chance along with Wishbone Ash's debut album which I have also been impressed by, I found Argus in my Dad's CD collection and downloaded Pilgrimage but nowadays prefer to buy most of my music on CD, unless I consider it a low importance release, like Pink Floyd's More soundtrack or Led Zeppelin's Coda.

Apart from this I've mainly listened to my established favourites lately. Forum regulars will probably know these by now but in case you don't know these are: Bob Dylan, Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, Eagles (of course), Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and Pink Floyd.