Page 109 of 136 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1351

Thread: Sporting Sensations

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Sporting Sensations

My Pens squeaked into the playoffs after a downward spiral the last month like I've never seen before. Good grief. Now, though, it's a clean slate, and bring on the Rangers!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Today I went to see Tranmere Rovers play Oxford United in a crucial game at the bottom of the Football League. Heading into the game Tranmere were in last place in the league and at risk of relegation to the Conference (the highest level of non-league football) although a win could have taken them out of the relegation zone. Oxford were safe in mid-table with little to play for so there was some hope despite Tranmere suffering defeats in the previous three games.

The first half was actually fairly decent, we had our share of chances and although none of these opportunities were especially outstanding there were some encouraging signs. Unfortunately, after half time Oxford soon grabbed a goal. This alone wasn't terminal, but I watched in disbelief as they scored a second within a minute, which unsettled our team who played increasingly ragged football and there was no sense of surprise when the opponents scored again to take a 3-0 lead in no way representative of the balance of play.

There was no way back from this, with the manager's changes proving ineffective and we never really looked like scoring. Sadly, by the end of the game most of the fans in Prenton Park gave up supporting the team and began to ironically cheer every Oxford United pass. At the final whistle the fans booed the majority of the players and after the game there was a protest outside the Prenton Park ground, with the defeat leaving the team staring relegation in the face. We will now need to beat at least one of Plymouth Argyle (away against the team 7th in the table) or against Bury (4th in the table and firmly in the hunt for promotion).

It is hard to believe that on 1st January 2013 Tranmere Rovers, managed by the experience Ronnie Moore, were on top of League One and in the race for promotion to the second tier of English football, where they would have faced substantially big teams like Leeds United, Nottingham Forest and Derby County. The team fell away to mid-table that season and was relegated last season (Moore was sacked due to non-footballing matters) with a second relegation looking likely, with the constant turnover of players being brought in on short-term contracts and loans not helping matters. Most of these players are IMO mercenaries who are primarily worried about their next contract and have no loyalty to the club - at this level you need to have players who care. I was initially impressed by current boss Micky Adams after he joined in October as we started to improve and move out of the danger zone but results have been poor for over two months now, and in the games I have attended we have conceded several sloppy and costly goals. His recruitment of numerous unwanted players from his old club Port Vale hasn't helped, we seemed better before he brought his own players in.

In a bizarre twist, the team occupying 22nd place in League Two, guaranteeing Football League safety, is Hartlepool United managed by our former boss Ronnie Moore. Tranmere are only two points behind them so still have some chance of survival but if we play like we did in the second half today we deserve to go down.

This is all pretty negative stuff but Tranmere have never dropped out of the Football League in their history and their decline has been shockingly fast and sad - this normally happens to clubs in financial crisis, yet there have been no major issues on this front at Prenton Park. I can only hope for better from my other team Liverpool in the FA Cup semi against Aston Villa tomorrow.

Stuck on the Border

I feel for you. My rugby league team has lost three games in a row, but we don't have promotion & relegation in this game. At least Chelsea beat Man Utd.

I have no idea how Liverpool will go but I am wearing my jersey today.

Border Troubadour

Yep, I was delighted Chelsea won yesterday - big blues fans in our house so I'll be shouting for Villa today...sorry
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Border Troubadour

Well, that went well...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Well, that went well...
    Yeah.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Well, that went well...
    If you have a fondness for low-scoring teams (only 24 league goals all season) who play in claret and blue, think avoiding relegation is a major achievement and think Tim Sherwood is the bestest manager since Harry Redknapp, then yes.

However as far as I'm concerned

No fairytale ending for Steven Gerrard then, I hate to say it but I think he is definitely past his best now and he just can't play like he used to. Most of his set pieces were saved with relative ease and Villa had control of the midfield battle for the most part. It happens to all of them but I actually think we've tended to play better without him this season, our record is pretty poor with him playing but very good without IIRC.

One thing I will say was that Mario Balotelli looked to be onside when he put the ball in the net with about 3 minutes. However, we didn't deserve to win, it was disappointing to see the lack of desire from our players compared to Villa - Benteke always causes us problems and Delph had a good game. Shay Given (39 today!) also looked comfortable in goal for them. It was also disappointing that we actually took the lead, so it wasn't like the league game at Anfield (which Villa won 1-0) where they took an early lead and defended it.

I really didn't get bringing on Rickie Lambert right at the start of injury time, it was too late for the change to make any significant difference. And as for Lovren's long shot at the end - what was he thinking? Tried to be a hero but it was never going to work and it just meant we lost possession and any chance of scoring an equaliser.

Overall then Liverpool's season has to go down as a bit of a failure unless we can somehow finish 4th (Manchester City's recent form has provided some hope, but it's unlikely), with Brendan Rodgers becoming the first manager since the pre-Shankly era to fail to win a trophy in his first three seasons, unless you count Roy Hodgson, whose dire six month tenure I'd rather forget. Next season is a big one for him now, it's unlikely that he will be sacked but if another summer of poor recruitment and underwhelming performances follows this year you have to wonder whether the board will look elsewhere.

On a brighter note, at least Lewis Hamilton won the Bahrain GP - pretty decent race overall, it was quite exciting at the end when Kimi Raikkonen was catching the Mercedes cars (he managed to pass Nico Rosberg on the penultimate lap). Not so good for Jenson Button though, failed to start the race after numerous issues with the troublesome McLaren Honda.

Border Troubadour

Congrats TLR, hope you go all the way now

I think Brendan Rodgers is a legend 'in his own mind' as the saying goes...

Sorry, JCL, but for me motor racing is not a sport - rather watch paint drying (preferably one of my own paintings )
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    Congrats TLR, hope you go all the way now
    :I was more being sarcastic about Liverpool's expectations, I'm a (Glasgow) Rangers fan personally It was odd yesterday because both Liverpool and Villa are my two least favoruite teams so in a way I wanted neither to win

Border Troubadour

:I was more being sarcastic about Liverpool's expectations, I'm a (Glasgow) Rangers fan personally It was odd yesterday because both Liverpool and Villa are my two least favoruite teams so in a way I wanted neither to win
    Then I'm sure you were happy with Inverness as well! I remember they beat Celtic before a few years back in a shock win and I read one of the best headlines ever: 'Super Cally Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrotious'