Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Don's new album(s) in progress

Default Re: Press and Discussion about Don's new album(s)

Without being disagreeable to anyone in here, guess what I'm trying to understand is why all the controversy? No one has even heard anything from the album yet, just what has been printed. And it's not like it hasn't been done before by the other guys. The more I read about it, the more I want to hear it before making any comments pro or con.

And for the ones who say they don't like country music, what are the Eagles but country rock, despite them trying to shed that reputation? They started out that way and even though the rock has changed the sound somewhat over the years, it hasn't changed their reputation for easy listening, ballad-like songs that tell stories or make statements.

Again this is MY opinion and I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone in here. Just saying what I personally think.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47
    Without being disagreeable to anyone in here, guess what I'm trying to understand is why all the controversy? No one has even heard anything from the album yet, just what has been printed.
    Yeah RIGHT!!! No, seriously, I totally agree with you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    And for the ones who say they don't like country music, what are the Eagles but country rock, despite them trying to shed that reputation? They started out that way and even though the rock has changed the sound somewhat over the years, it hasn't changed their reputation for easy listening, ballad-like songs that tell stories or make statements.
    Have you noticed how quiet I've been in this thread?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Me too!

Just because I like the Eagles I don't necessarily like all of the solo stuff anyway. Never say never, but I doubt if I'll be buying this album.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Without being disagreeable to anyone in here, guess what I'm trying to understand is why all the controversy? No one has even heard anything from the album yet, just what has been printed. And it's not like it hasn't been done before by the other guys. The more I read about it, the more I want to hear it before making any comments pro or con.
    I guess my previous posts on this topic weren't as clear as I would have hoped! I must be losing my touch.

I'll try to break it down more.

1) Eagles songs are best done by the Eagles, IMHO. Re-recording them as solo material with different people singing harmonies instead of your bandmates seems to me creatively stale and even lazy.

2) When I hear about a new Don album coming out, I get excited thinking we're going to get material we haven't heard before - not the same material that we've already heard the Eagles do.

3) Other artists may re-record their old stuff, too, but that does not matter to me. I don't judge whether or not I agree with something based on how many other people do it. I would criticize any of my favorites who did this, because those are the artists I care about.

All of this is only MY personal opinion, of course.

However, it's not like he's doing a whole album of Eagles covers. Maybe he's only doing one or two. I don't want to get fixated on this element and thus ruin the joy of a new album coming out. I do think it's fair to discuss it, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    1) Eagles songs are best done by the Eagles, IMHO. Re-recording them as solo material with different people singing harmonies instead of your bandmates seems to me creatively stale and even lazy.
    I totally agree with this also!! (See how agreeable I am today!) If I buy a Henley solo album, or Frey or Schmit, or Walsh, I want SOLO stuff not redone Eagles stuff!

PM-- I have to agree, I probably will not be buying this cd. Now the one we've heard possibly coming out of Soul (or did I dream that?) I will definitely buy. But I guess I should know better than to say never.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Have you noticed how quiet I've been in this thread?
    No I haven't

PM - I'll buy it and then talk about it and make you run out and get it too

Soda - I understood you. Just adding my opinion to the thread.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

PM - I'll buy it and then talk about it and make you run out and get it too
    You probably will!

But I don't know, reading posts on this board has never influenced me to do anything before.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Default Re: Don in the press

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I agree, GH. I admire the Eagles greatly for putting out a new album when so many would have been content to rest on their laurels.
    I see re-recording Eagles' songs as Don "resting on his laurels". I agree though, that doing the album this way is an easier or quicker way of fulfiling his contractual obligations as he has to record another album to complete this obligation.

I enjoy Common Thread but I certainly don't prefer any of the songs to the originals. It was a tribute to the Eagles. To me re-recording Eagles' songs is, to paraphrase Glenn, "just doing a tribute to himself". JMHO

I most likely will buy the CD.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I love a lot of country music and I love nearly every Eagles song that ever came out. Country influenced or rock.

I don't mind if country artists do Eagles songs. But I don't love an Eagle re-recording Eagles songs with country artists. It's never gonna be as good as the original. There's too much history and the legacy there. And what is the point? I agree with Soda that it's a cop out and lazy. Surely he can come up with other songs to record. Why would we want to hear that? Now, I love Don and I know he can sing the phone book and make it sound good. He has said before that they get tired of singing the same old songs so why when he has a chance to do something different doesn't he do something different?

This is just my opinion. Everyone has one. It's ok to disagree as long as no blood is spilled.

And unless there is new material on it, I probably won't buy it either. I might download just the new songs.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Well, I'd not have a problem if they changed it up a mite. Look what the Eagles did with "Hotel California". Made it acoustic!

And I know Walsh has recorded versions of several songs in the past. Hmmm, some of them were somewhat the "same" but I think what I'm thinking about is a "Studio" version versus a "Live" version.

But then, I doubt that I'd buy a Henley solo album anyway. With the exception of Walsh, I doubt that I'd buy any solo works of other Eagles. I think of them as a "group" and as a "group" I accept them. But Walsh is the only individual among them who I'd support with a purchase. I would do that primarly becasue I grew up with him in James Gang an Solo before I was ever a big Eagles fan.

But I don't see anything wrong with coming out with remakes of good material. Hopefully, if Don does do this, he will do something different enough to make the song(s) unique to his solo release.

But how "different" can you make something like "Desperado" or "Last Resort"?

That's a CHALLENGE DON. Show me how stupid I am!

MikeA