Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Default Re: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Well, I agree with you guys that Stevie tends to go for the dramatic descriptions and might overstate a bit. She has indeed said that both Joe Walsh and Lindsey Buckingham were her "Greatest loves" so yeah, she's not always consistent in that regard. Still, it's a great compliment to Joe!

I don't think anyone but Joe and Stevie can answer your questions, ticky. Just speculating - maybe the intensity of the relationship made it harder to reconnect later, ironically. I'm sure it's hard to open oneself up to that kind of heartbreak again. Also, Joe has been in serious relationships for the vast majority of the time that he's been sober. He was "taken."

I think it's safe to say Stevie would deny #2, though - that their relationship was based solely on drug-fueled passion. She has always called the relationship one of people who were attracted to each other because they understood each other; in fact, she claimed she was the ONLY one who truly "got" Joe.

Honestly, I kind of get the feeling Joe wasn't as into Stevie as she was into him. Certainly he doesn't talk about her with that kind of passion. Indeed, while lately he has said complimentary things, in the early 90s he openly mocked her and even called her a "road f--k" on Howard Stern. Of course, maybe that was the alcohol talking, and his almost compulsive desire to get a laugh, no matter what, like we recently saw with his comment about Leadon. I reiterate that in recent years, he has spoken of her kindly and even said that The Confessor would not have gotten made without her support.

The last name that has been publicly associated romantically with Stevie was Rupert Hine... and that 20 years ago. She says she is single now as "no man can handle my lifestyle." Of course, in a recent interview, she said it was never really over with Lindsey until 1998 when he had his first kid with his now-wife (they were not married at the time). Makes you go "hmmmm...."

The story is all over the newswires and I didn't see that particular link with photos ticky. Thanks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I also wanted to add - and this is completely my own speculation as a Stevie fan who has followed her interviews closely - that Stevie saw herself as Joe's "savior" who could "make him better" as she likes to say. By styling herself as the only one who understood him and saw the "real" Joe, the pain behind the laughs, she also puts herself in the position of the only one who can truly love "the real Joe."

As a result, I can see why she would characterize the situation as one where she would give up everything for him - to help him out, to save him from himself - especially if she had told herself she was the only one who could get through to him. Psychologically, a lot of women are drawn to guys they want to "fix." It makes them feel special to think that they can save a guy when no one else can; it makes them feel needed and important. It also puts the woman in a position of power in a way that a strong lady like Stevie would find appealing, but that may have made Joe uncomfortable. While they were both so hardcore into drugs, though, there was no way she could save anybody. She was kidding herself, but to this day, I'm not sure she really recognizes that.

And I think, at the time, Joe didn't really want Stevie to "save" him, and that's really why he left her in such an ignominious and careless fashion. "When you walk out that door, you cease to exist," he told her, getting a big laugh from the buddies he was hanging out with.... but ending it with her forever.

They don't call it "dope" for nothing do they!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

And I think, at the time, Joe didn't really want Stevie to "save" him, and that's really why he left her in such an ignominious and careless fashion. "When you walk out that door, you cease to exist," he told her, getting a big laugh from the buddies he was hanging out with.... but ending it with her forever.
    Wow, that's harsh!! What a shame. Is there an article somewhere that claims this is really how it happened? Would love to read more about them back then. I know we've rehashed this a couple of times but I find myself intrigued every time this subject comes forward again.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Well, Joe's never confirmed it, but here's what Stevie said (C&Ped from another post):

BBC Interview with Nicky Horne ~ August 27, 1991

"What happened at the end was I was getting ready to cut two songs with Waddy Wachtel producing and we only had two nights to rehearse and Joe had been off in New Zealand or something and he came down about one or two in the morning or something and he was real good friends with everyone in my band. That would have been fine any other night but I was really angry with what Joe had done because he completely screwed up that session. He just had everyone dying laughing because he just tells a hundred jokes and everyone was just rolling in the floor laughing and I was going “this is not fair” because he is not being sensitive at all to this whole situation and “you know I would give up anything for you, even my dammed career for you if he was serious enough."

I had a limousine and I asked Joe if he wanted to take me home or me to come home with him and he said, “Well, I didn’t tell you this but I’m leaving for Australia like tonight and I have to pack, so I’m just going to get a ride home with Waddy.”

And I said “Ok” and started walking towards the door, and I turned around and said, “Joe I don’t like where this relationship is going 'cause it’s not going anywhere and I don’t want to do it anymore.” And I started walking towards the door and he said, “Well, you know, if you walk out the door, you basically cease to exist.” And I just didn't stop walking."

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

At that time Joe said he was "living the rock and roll lifestyle" and I imagine the careless attitude was partly fueled by the drugs and partly due to the fact I doubt he truly was as committed to her as she claims was to him. It wasn't till the death of his close friend, John Belushi, that he recognized the fact he HAD a problem (according to the Howard Stern interview in '05). I think he's pretty sorry and regrets a lot of that aloofness and cruelty now looking back on it based on a lot of his reactions to mentions of his past indiscretions. I think it's really embarrassing to him and a lot of the kindness and grace he shows to his fans and public now is an attempt to redeem himself, that and just the fact that he is such a nice guy and truly loves and appreciates his fans.
    As far as that part of his life pertains to Stevie and their past relationship, I have no idea not being party to that part of his or her life *G* But Im sure he tried to make amends.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Love this stuff!! What a soap opera!!

Another question, I don't know if maybe it has already been answered somewhere before. She is still on very good terms with Don and her and Lindsey, even tho they have their moments, seem to be good together and able to work together. Have her and Joe ever made amends? Do they ever see each other or are they friends again? And I kinda wonder why, if he was the love of her life, after his divorces, she didn't try to reconnect with him, or maybe she did and it just didn't work because the relationship was so toxic because of the drugs and alcohol?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

As far as I know they remain friends, in fact Joe even said so in the Mark Lane interview. That's when he said she was a "good witch, laugh laugh.."

Joe and Stevie seem to be on friendly terms, but it's true that she isn't as close to him as she is to Don and Lindsey.

Of course, her relationship with Lindsey to this day is tempestuous, but they work together and so naturally would be closer.

Don and Stevie, on the other hand, may not see each other as much but often call each other and try hard to keep in touch. When she speaks of her relationship with Don, it's in the present tense. "He's one of my best friends, and he's there for me." When she speaks of her relationship with Joe, it's in the past.

I don't know why reconnection didn't seem to take place on the level it has with Don. I guess only Stevie and Joe know the answer to that! I would speculate there's a level of awkwardness with Joe that isn't there with Don, considering the way it ended.

Look what a friend of mine just posted on Facebook! What a coincidence! This is especially cool because photos of Joe with Stevie are very rare. I only know of one other.