Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering 9/11

Default Re: Remembering 9/11

HH, I'm sure the many injured people appreciated all the blood donations that came in. Thank you for doing that. I know that I felt totally helpless in this mass chaos going on & I also remember seeing the fighter jets in the air & that the sky was so eerily calm. I live not far from both NY airports. I don't remember how long it was, but all flights were grounded for I think 2 days.

I too wanted to do something, so when we headed downtown that day, we wanted to volunteer in some small way, like give out food & water to the workers down there, but access to the area was extremely limited. There were police everywhere & people were not allowed anywhere past a certain point without credentials. The security was very tight. I did feel helpless & I glued myself to watching the news coverage for several days almost in shock. I could not believe this happened & how enormous the loss was.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Tk and HH, thanks for sharing your memories of this tragic day. I also wondered what it would have been like to have lived in NYC at that time. I'm sure it was horrifying.

I remember I was at work and we have a tv in the lunch room. My boss came in a little after 8 and said to turn on the tv, something terrible has happened in NYC. We watched Matt and Katie on the Today Show all day trying to comprehend what was going on. Then later all the little country churches in the area had prayer meetings for everyone affected and for our country. It just immobilized you at the time, even here in Missouri. You couldn't do or think of much else. My hubby and I were also planning to leave on a vaca to Florida a few days later and canceled it because we just couldn't think of trying to have fun when so many people were dealing with such tragedy.

I can't listen to Alan Jackson's song to this day without tearing up.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    did any other major music acts write a song about that day?
    I found a list of songs inspired by 9/11 on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ber_11_attacks

Since Wikipedia is user-edited, there may be inaccuracies on there, but I think it's a good place to start.

Fleetwood Mac's "Illume" was inspired by 9/11. The video below incorporates some quotes from Stevie about it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gP7YxtJVys[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7YLOLVFRVA[/ame]
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

That concert was given about 2 weeks after the tragedy. Paul McCartney organized it. It was aired on tv a little bit after the show. I recorded it & it was the most amazing show. Some of the star power that showed up & played for FREE were the WHO, STONES, CLAPTON, BILLY JOEL, ELTON JOHN, BON JOVI, JAMES TAYLOR, DAVID BOWIE, & several others. The support for the NY heroes was incredible, emotional & heartfelt. I was very touched watching these big firefighters going slightly mental playing air guitar during the Who performance. Paul is such a genuine, humble and sweet guy. I am always so impressed by his human compassion. His father was a firefighter, & he put this show together in record time to entertain the 911 heroes & their families.

Loved Stevie's song too. I had never heard it before!

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Its amazing, everyone can remember where they were and what they were doing on that day. We tried to talk about it at work and I think alot was lost on the "kids" I work with.
    At the time, I worked at the Mercedes Dealership , so even though the tvs were on, I couldnt see them from my desk. Customers were telling us that something had happend. I tried to call JAhh on a cell and a land phone but it was difficult..finally he got throught but the call was cut off just as he said" I have to go to NY"(work was sending him). I was in a panic...not knowing if he was really going and or what was going on.At the same time, my son was a few block away at school paniced that his dad would get sent there without him saying goodby or I love you. The headmaster tryed to calm his fears and helped him try and reach his dad to no avail.

eventually, he didnt have to go (thank god) but I never forget the helpless feeling of being cut off mid conversation so I can only imagin ten fold for the people who were in the tower or on the planes trying to use their cell phones and desk phones and the samething happening to them.

Yes, today was a day much like the day it was weather wise 11 years ago.
    Its hard not to think of all that.
    I dont think anyone who was old enought to live it will forget it.
    "There are no words"
    rest in peace all who are gone and all who are lost.

soda...thanks for the steve fleetwood mac song..I love it. Is it on a?cd

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

That concert was so important to the psyche of New Yorkers, I can't even begin to tell you. To have that group of musicians come together so quickly to raise money and awareness was staggering to me. I still get choked up when I consider the monumental but apparently not insurmountable task of rearranging schedules, logistics, etc. Shows were cancelled, shows were rescheduled and no one blinked an eye.

They had first responders and their families as their audience and you could not have had a more grateful or receptive audience on the planet.

I cried through most of it. I still do when I think about it.

I do remember the eerie quietness of the day...I was working at the Visiting Nursing Assoc. then and the office is right near the Buffalo airport...usually hear the roaring of planes all day long...that day you could hear a pin drop near the airport...very strange...and I do remember how nice everyone was to each other for quite a while after it happened...too bad it didn't last forever...
    on my home from work for days after I'd see volunteer firemen out in the streets collecting money to donate to the Red Cross...It really did bring out the best in people.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences here. I don't think there are any of us Americans that weren't affected forever by that horrific day. We will never forget that day nor should we. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones. It must be very difficult, yet also very heartening, when the anniversary comes along each year.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yes, I think it's important to note the date each time it passes. When you say "December 7th" to a lot of younger people nowadays, they have no idea what you're talking about. I hope there will never come a time when that is the case for September 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    soda...thanks for the steve fleetwood mac song..I love it. Is it on a?cd
    The song is on the 2003 album Say You Will. I highly recommend you buy it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten