Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    That's one of the things I've always liked about Glenn. He seems to be a team player. If you're playing ICTYW live, you need a guitar solo, yes, but you also need someone to play the Rhodes. The Rhodes is the less glamorous job, but it's the one Glenn is better at than probably anyone else in the band (not counting hired hands nowadays). As an arranger, Glenn would want the best people playing each position, much like a baseball coach. That team spirit is what makes the band great.

I've often speculated that the reverse might have been one of the primary arguments between Glenn and Felder. Glenn is such a team player that I can see him getting really ticked off at anyone who wasn't.
    I tried to post almost this exact same thing earlier and got a connection time out error and didn't try again. It's like you read my mind! Glenn seems to always have had his eyes on the bigger picture. Even in the accounts that are trying to tear him down, that's the perception we're given. Glenn has a lot of talent, but his leadership skills are underrated. IMO. Sadly, too many people have no idea what it takes to be a leader.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I don't get why such a big deal is made about the solo. Seems, as usual the song is all about everyone except Timothy!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I don't get why such a big deal is made about the solo. Seems, as usual the song is all about everyone except Timothy!
    I think we make a big deal out of it because it's a given that no one except Timothy could possibly ever sing the lead. That's a no brainer, so there's nothing to talk about there.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

A big deal is made about it because it is annoying for those of us who care about such things, when claims such as 'Felder played the ICTYW solo' continue to be made. This has nothing to do with Tim's superb vocal on the song.

So because Glenn played it once on the recording, it is his solo?? I don't recall that it was said that Glenn wrote the solo. According to Timothy, he doesn't remember who wrote what. He said that he finished the song with Don & Glenn. Just bothers me, I guess. I don't think the solo is particularly difficult to play. Hank plays it on Tim's solo tour just fine. Don plays it of HFO album, and Steuart plays it now with the Eagles.
    I guess that Glenn's fans feel it necessary to give Glenn credit for it, but Don did play it most of the time. Like I said, I just don't get why it's such a sore spot & issue.

OK, you don't get it. I don't get it either but apparently Mr. Felder was loathe to admit that Glenn played in the recording (which is what most people hear over and over, not the touring version). Glenn has said he played it and he has the credits and so I didn't realize there was a controversy. I don't know much about guitar playing and degree of difficulty, but it's beautifully played. I've never heard Felder play it. Only Glenn on the recording, Steuart in concert, and now Hank in Timothy's show.
    VK

It's only a big deal because some fans made it into a big deal by claiming Felder wrote it and played it on the record rather than Glenn. I don't know why some fans tried to claim this, but when they did, they were corrected... and some didn't react too well to being corrected, and continued to insist they were right and that there was some big conspiracy designed to rob Felder of credit blahblahblah. It's all rather ridiculous.

Want an example?

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...?t=3357&page=3

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Because I don't want to appear as I want to offend you here, I start by laughing at myself. I'm so big a fan of Glenn's that I probably don't want to see other truths than "Glenn this/Glenn that".
    Now that we got that out of the way ( ) I'd like to comment that I find your reactions to this issue interesting. Before Felder himself had said that it's Glenn on the album, you were discussing it with us, offering valid arguments like "Don played it in the video, he has always played it live.". Now that Don himself has said that it's Glenn, you wonder why such a big deal is made about the solo?
    Of course Timothy is the biggest star of the song. He initiated it, sang it, and played the wonderful bass part. But we are talking about a solo that people often praise Don for. This I understand, he has always played it beautifully, although I personally very much prefer Glenn's more straight forward, not-so-interpreted approach. When someone else plays the solo, it's "Don Felder's solo" he's playing. And they may say that he doesn't play it as well as Don, ignoring the fact that whenever they heard the original version on an album or from the radio, it's Glenn they hear.
    In his book Don also downplays Glenn's contributions to The Long Run process quite a bit. He says about ICTYW that it was a killer track from Timothy, and that the song was a chance for him to play "some real sensual guitar", plus he said to Tim, "I'm gonna have some fun working out my guitar parts for this". Then he says that Glenn, on the other hand, was really glad when he "finally had something with "Heartache tonight'". Why didn't he mention that Glenn was already a big part of ICTYW? Glenn came up with the intro (he has said it), Glenn came up with the "da-da-da-da-daa" guitar hook that comes after the "choruses" and finally leads to the first solo, Glenn came up with the "try to keep you head, little girl" counter melody, Glenn played beautiful guitar solos in the song. Yet Don implies that it was Timothy's track that he really worked on.

I just disagree with you here. I think it's fair to bring this up, when it has been verified by not only Glenn and Don Henley, but Don Felder himself, that it's not him playing the solo in the original.

Someone wondered why we assume that just because Glenn played it, he wrote it. I don't remember ever hearing of a guitar player (if you mean that Don wrote it and gave it for Glenn to play on the album) coming up with a solo and then having someone who is not as good as him record it. (I love Glenn as a guitarist, but of course Don is better.)
    Also, this is from Freypower's earlier post in another thread:

For what it is worth, this is Glenn talking about his ICTYW solo at the Songwriter's Hall of Fame appearance. This is from Soda's post on the subject.

The interviewer complimented Glenn's guitar solo, calling it "wonderful," and Glenn told the tale about how he usually wound up playing lead guitar on the bass player's songs. He said that both Felder and Joe had tried playing lead on ICTYW but "they just didn't seem to play what I ended up playing, which was very melodic..." He then quickly added, as if afraid he were come off as bragging, "I'm not saying it because I played it, but it's a very melodic, memorable guitar solo. You can sing along to it, just like you can sing along to the rest of the song."

One guitar solo in a pop song isn't the most important issue in the world, but it irritates me a lot, especially as a huge Glenn Frey fan, when I see people praise Don Felder as a "guitar god", using ICTYW as an example, and then saying that Glenn Frey is just an ***hole who has only money and himself in his mind. People can believe what all the other Glenn haters in the internet say about him (it's the same thing about Gene Simmons. There are hundreds of stories that reveal that he's really a sweetheart, but of course these people choose to ignore them), but do not say that he didn't play a solo he composed and played.
    I'm sure Glenn himself only cares about the song itself. The track came out fine, and he probably doesn't care that people think Don wrote it. But I obviously care.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-07-2012 at 01:59 PM.

You know, I looked back at those statements I made months ago, which you referred to & I still stand by what I originally said. I do like Felder's version of the solo better than Glenn's. In fact I think the entire song sounds better on HFO than on The Long Run & when I listen to the song, I listen to the HFO version.

That said, I'm willing to bet that Glenn doesn't even give this entire issue a second thought these days.

Stuck on the Border

You know, I looked back at those statements I made months ago, which you referred to & I still stand by what I originally said. I do like Felder's version of the solo better than Glenn's. In fact I think the entire song sounds better on HFO than on The Long Run & when I listen to the song, I listen to the HFO version.

That said, I'm willing to bet that Glenn doesn't even give this entire issue a second thought these days.
    But that wasn't the reason I started this thread. Different people like different versions, but some people have insisted that Don played them all, including the original. That's all I meant.