Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Streaming - good or bad?

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Music Streaming - good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Ok! Thanks for all the info! I will be sorting it out!
    Brooke, if it's any consolation, you should've seen me trying to figure out how to use a cassette player for the first time. I put it in the wrong way and on the wrong side and I was trying to figure out ehere the skip button was! . Learning to use a record player was even harder! (I'm lucky that I didn't badly scratch up any albums!)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I remember cassettes quite clearly myself, but haven't played one for a very long time. In fact, when I first heard Don's End Of The Innocence way back in 2003 or so, it (along with Jackson Browne's I'm Alive album) was on cassette. When my parents started to introduce me and my sister to grown up music they played these two albums along with a cassette which they had taped at home which featured Fleetwood Mac Rumours on side 1 and James Taylor's Greatest Hits on side two. I heard these tapes a lot until my mum replaced her car with one with a CD player in around a decade ago. Not sure what happened to the tapes, I suspect they may have been given away as my family got rid of our home cassette player so there was no means of playing any tapes.

Just a nice trip down memory lane on my part I guess, when I hear certain tracks from EOTI and I'm Alive it takes me back to hearing them for the first time all those years ago (Rumours has less of an effect on me in this regard as I have listened to it nearly continuously since whereas I went a long time without hearing anything from those other two albums since EOTI was replaced by Actual Miles on CD and I'm Alive wasn't replaced).

I don't use streaming myself as I tend to prefer to own CDs or at the least have digital files rather than simply streaming songs. My sister uses Spotify quite a bit (somewhat ironically as Taylor Swift is her favourite artist) but she is different in that she will buy Taylor Swift's albums and occasionally CDs by other solo artists, but she does not really have any firm favourite bands so I think owning the album is not quite as big a deal for her.

Nowadays I prefer to buy CDs although some of my favourite albums, including those by artists I love such are Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, and Neil Young I have on digital format only as I acquired them before I regularly started buying hard copies of albums. The Eagles are unusual as I own all seven studio albums on CD (plus HFO) - the only artist I have more by is Pink Floyd, where I have nine studio albums on CD plus the compilation Relics and the live album P.U.L.S.E.

I usually only download albums if I consider them to be low importance releases (such as Pink Floyd's soundtrack albums and Led Zeppelin's Coda), or in cases where I like an album but am not really a fan of the band (U2's The Joshua Tree is the main one in my case). If I'm only interested in 1-3 songs from an album I will just download those ones. I find this is perhaps the biggest advantage of digital downloads as I am not worried about completeness - I would rather have the few songs I want than paying for a mediocre complete album that I wouldn't listen to in full in any case.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, I do understand most of it!

I own lots of cds and have my favorites downloaded to itunes and on my ipod. If one of my favorite artists puts out a new cd I usually buy it. I like having a hard copy. If it's just a song or two from another artist I like, but don't love, I just buy it from itunes. There are only a couple cds I have bought completely from itunes.

I had lots of albums and cassettes, but gave all the albums to my daughter as she loves playing vinyl. I did keep all of my old Eagles albums for sentimental value. The cassettes finally went to the trash as I couldn't find anyone that wanted them!

I guess it's the streaming thing that confuses me the most. I've obviously done it through Pandora, but not much. If you have to buy it, I probably won't. I don't feel the need! I'm not a fan of most new music. I listen to a little country on CMT or GAC just to watch videos. I don't listen to pop or whatever you call the new young people's music at all. Rap is just a waste of time to me!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Well, I do understand most of it!

I own lots of cds and have my favorites downloaded to itunes and on my ipod. If one of my favorite artists puts out a new cd I usually buy it. I like having a hard copy. If it's just a song or two from another artist I like, but don't love, I just buy it from itunes. There are only a couple cds I have bought completely from itunes.

I had lots of albums and cassettes, but gave all the albums to my daughter as she loves playing vinyl. I did keep all of my old Eagles albums for sentimental value. The cassettes finally went to the trash as I couldn't find anyone that wanted them!

I guess it's the streaming thing that confuses me the most. I've obviously done it through Pandora, but not much. If you have to buy it, I probably won't. I don't feel the need! I'm not a fan of most new music. I listen to a little country on CMT or GAC just to watch videos. I don't listen to pop or whatever you call the new young people's music at all. Rap is just a waste of time to me!
    I would've taken those cassettes off of your hands. I now enjoy playing them, and it's an easy way to get ahold of sone hard to find 80s albums that were mostly released on cassette.

I believe that most streaming sites have a free version. I know that Spotify does. You just have to deal with some ads. Spotify has mosr "classic" artists on there, including the Eagles(though for some reason LROOE isn't on there).
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I remember when Glenn's songs first went on Spotify, I did the free version and signed in with Facebook. I had no idea that it posted to Facebook every song I listened to, my friends could see it in their NewsFeeds and I did not see it on mine. I was working from home and at about the second or third song, I got a phone call and hit 'mute', then forgot about it. Apparently it looped the entire day, filling my friends' NewsFeeds. The existing privacy at the time options meant people couldn't selectively remove Spotify from their NewsFeed. Of course, my friends all thought I was crazy for listening to Glenn for over six hours straight. One of them finally messaged me and asked how in love with the man I was! That was rather embarrassing, not to mention that I missed hearing Glenn for over six hours! I don't think I've been on Spotify since! I figure with the ads and what they pay, he probably made nearly 5 cents from me that day...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I remember when Glenn's songs first went on Spotify, I did the free version and signed in with Facebook. I had no idea that it posted to Facebook every song I listened to, my friends could see it in their NewsFeeds and I did not see it on mine. I was working from home and at about the second or third song, I got a phone call and hit 'mute', then forgot about it. Apparently it looped the entire day, filling my friends' NewsFeeds. The existing privacy at the time options meant people couldn't selectively remove Spotify from their NewsFeed. Of course, my friends all thought I was crazy for listening to Glenn for over six hours straight. One of them finally messaged me and asked how in love with the man I was! That was rather embarrassing, not to mention that I missed hearing Glenn for over six hours! I don't think I've been on Spotify since! I figure with the ads and what they pay, he probably made nearly 5 cents from me that day...
    Oh my gosh, VA! Too funny! I can totally see that happening to me!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

VA, I've done the same thing several times. (I have Spotify connected to Facebook). Imagine accidentally having the same song olay on repeat tor 6 hours! Needless to say, I had some people ask me about that!
    -Kim-

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    This is an interesting development. Universal Music Group International have made several of Glenn's albums available on youtube (After Hours, the Masters Collection, The Allnighter). Search for #GlennFrey. I wonder what the revenue model is.
    This is awesome!!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

They've done the same thing with Don. Search #DonHenley. So far, I've pulled up Dirty Laundry, ASWTDID, and Johnny can't Read.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I wasn't sure where to put this link. It's about James Taylor, more or less, as it discusses his recent #1 achievement. It also mentions the Eagles, tho not in a good way. I decided to put it here, because what the article really discusses is how streaming vs. CD sales affect the charts.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...-world/396848/
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.