Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: James Taylor

Default Re: James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by chaleymom View Post
    Yes I'm in Dayton - Miamisburg actually. It's probably 1:15 minutes to Columbus which is really not far - but on a Sunday evening for an 8:00 show, getting back home by 1:00ish then up at 6:00 - I'm getting too old for that!!!

We went to the Cincinnati show (Eagles) and even coming to Cincinnati sometimes can be a pain if there's a ball game in town (which thankfully there was NOT the evening we came). Did you see that show?

Miamisburg - nice area. My aunt lived in Fairborn near Wright-Patt. We'd shoot straight up I 675 to get there, right about where Dayton Mall is in Miamisburg.

Yes, we saw the Cincinnati show. We were pretty far up on the right side relative to the stage, but we were right above the stage and had a great view of the viewscreen - like watching a DVD...

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Looks like his new album just got to number 1 on Billboard, ahead of the youngsters. Quite an achievement, which means I have to start my revisit of his work that I've been putting off for a while.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

VH1 recently showed a 30-minute documentary on the making of JT's latest album. Did you catch it? It was interesting - he has a recording studio on what looks like his home property, and a group of musicians who've been working with him for years. His wife Kim speaks a bit. He wrote a song about her called "You and I Again" that's really lovely.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

James is a musician thst know enough about to own a greatest hits cd of. However, after reading about how good his new album is, I think that it might be time to change that. What's his best album to staet with? Is it the one with Fire and Rain? (Sweet Baby James I believe is the album? )
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Sweet Baby James was his first album in the U.S. I believe, released in 1970, and yep that's the one with "Fire and Rain." As a special bonus, Randy Meisner plays bass on "Country Road" and "Blossom."

I defer to the more knowledgeable folks to say what his best album is... personally, I enjoy his 70s hit singles: "Shower the People," "Your Smiling Face," "How Sweet It Is," etc.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Congratulations to James Taylor on getting to #1 on the Billboard chart. I heard one of the new songs on the radio a couple of weeks ago and I thought it sounded pretty good. He has such a great voice, stately and calming. I saw a concert of his on TV a few years ago, he definitely still seemed to have 'it'.

If you think owning a compilation album would be enough, then I'd suggest his 1976 Greatest Hits album. This is the one I own, and is a very strong collection of songs. I don't own any of his albums but from reading about his career then I'd definitely suggest Sweet Baby James would be a fine starting point.

My favourite James Taylor song has to be the classic Fire And Rain, although I also really like Something In The Way She Moves, Carolina In My Mind, Country Road (some rather good bass playing there ) and Shower The People. I tend to prefer his more folk-rock/country-rock songs to the easy listening ones like Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight although he is good at both.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - Congratulations to Sweet Baby James. That is an awesome accomplishment for an 'ole' guy this day and time!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-FO8iXCrA[/ame]

LOL! This is so good.

Just love James Taylor!! And this was so funny. Thanks, WF88!

Stuck on the Border