Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Tempchin

Banned

Default Re: Jack Tempchin

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Jacks got a new album Learn To Dance out on August 21st

http://jacktempchin.com/2015/08/12/j...for-pre-order/

The title track is a great song. Also includes an update of I Volunteer which Glenn covered on his first solo LP No Fun Aloud.

The new fangled arrangements don't suit Jacks voice imho.

Here's a promo piece about Jack's new album.. and future projects. http://jacktempchin.com/2015/08/21/p...jack-tempchin/

I love this line from Jack, about Peaceful Easy Feeling

When I heard The Eagles version, I thought it was a thousand times better than anything I could have imagined. It was just a work of genius. The artist is always really important and they bring themselves to the project – they make that thing theirs.
    Just what Don Felder says about Hotel California..... or did I hear that wrong?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I'm finding the more modern arrangements on "Learning to Dance" easier to get into than albums such as "Songs".

His live version of Already Gone shows, as already said up-thread, how much the Eagles added to the song in terms of arrangement. It's good to hear Tempchin having his own versions of the song prettied up with arrangements. I do appreciate guitar + voice, but in JT's case, I'm appreciating how much an arrangement can add.

"You can go home" has piano + vocal + some background strings (real or synthetic?), but IMHO it works as a relatively sparse arrangement among the other songs. Very nice song.

Would "Big Sky Country" work as an Eagles song? Sped up, made more guitary, and with big backing vocals as they transformed "Already Gone"?

EDIT: "Learning To Dance" ordered from the USA via ebay.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 05-31-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Well, I decided on the spur of the moment to drive up to Nashville and see Jack Tempchin perform at the City Winery with Rusty Young on Sunday night. I'm already wondering if I made a mistake since I have to work at 8:00 Monday morning and I'll probably be getting back at 3:00 am, but opportunities to see Tempchin are rare, so... off I go!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Well, I decided on the spur of the moment to drive up to Nashville and see Jack Tempchin perform at the City Winery with Rusty Young on Sunday night. I'm already wondering if I made a mistake since I have to work at 8:00 Monday morning and I'll probably be getting back at 3:00 am, but opportunities to see Tempchin are rare, so... off I go!
    Oh, my gosh! As an Eagles-lover, and as a Poco-lover, I find this fascinating. Soda, I'm betting this will be worth missing your sleep! Lol...

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I'm finding the more modern arrangements on "Learning to Dance" easier to get into than albums such as "Songs".

His live version of Already Gone shows, as already said up-thread, how much the Eagles added to the song in terms of arrangement. It's good to hear Tempchin having his own versions of the song prettied up with arrangements. I do appreciate guitar + voice, but in JT's case, I'm appreciating how much an arrangement can add.

"You can go home" has piano + vocal + some background strings (real or synthetic?), but IMHO it works as a relatively sparse arrangement among the other songs. Very nice song.

Would "Big Sky Country" work as an Eagles song? Sped up, made more guitary, and with big backing vocals as they transformed "Already Gone"?

EDIT: "Learning To Dance" ordered from the USA via ebay.

I just noticed this post now. Jack does a better version on his 1990s album AFTER THE RAIN of "Big Sky Country" which does sound a lot like the Eagles. The harmonies are there, but it's relatively lo-fi compared to other songs on the same album. I always wondered why Glenn didn't work on that song in the studio with Jack as he did on some of the other album tracks. To your point, I agree that this track would've been perfect for the Eagles to record.

As for LEARNING TO DANCE, I've mentioned this before, the title track would've been perfect for Glenn to sing since it fits in well with a lot of the songs he's done in the past.

I'm a little bummed because I bought the digital download of Learning to Dance and not the physical CD; thus, if I do catch Tempchin outside the venue, I won't have anything new for him to sign! I don't have any of Rusty Young's music except for Poco, either. I don't even know who Craig Fuller is. I will look like quite the bad fan.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well have a fun time and be careful, Soda. I'm sure you can come up with for Jack to sign if you have the opportunity.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm a little bummed because I bought the digital download of Learning to Dance and not the physical CD; thus, if I do catch Tempchin outside the venue, I won't have anything new for him to sign! I don't have any of Rusty Young's music except for Poco, either. I don't even know who Craig Fuller is. I will look like quite the bad fan.
    Craig Fuller is a founding member of Pure Prairie League and the singer of their 70s hit "Amie." He also served for a number of years as lead singer for Little Feat after Lowell George passed.

I saw PPL and Poco together a few years back and got to speak with Craig for awhile. He's a really down to earth humble guy with a boatload of talent.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I just noticed this post now. Jack does a better version on his 1990s album AFTER THE RAIN of "Big Sky Country" which does sound a lot like the Eagles. The harmonies are there, but it's relatively lo-fi compared to other songs on the same album. I always wondered why Glenn didn't work on that song in the studio with Jack as he did on some of the other album tracks. To your point, I agree that this track would've been perfect for the Eagles to record.

As for LEARNING TO DANCE, I've mentioned this before, the title track would've been perfect for Glenn to sing since it fits in well with a lot of the songs he's done in the past.
    I do appreciate both versions of Big Sky Country, and agree that the "After the Rain" version is more Eagles-like. However, I think I actually prefer the "Learning to Dance" version. I dunno why, I just do. The backing vocals on the ATR version are great, but overall I think Jack sings it a lot better on LtD IMHO.

Well, it was an entertaining show! And I now fully appreciate how hilarious Rusty Young is. He is quite the comedian.

The Nashville City Winery is nice but honestly, not the best place to see a show. You're sitting at a small square table with three other people (I was across from a couple and next to an older guy rockin' a gray ponytail). That table is crammed so close to the adjacent table that you're hard-pressed to get out of your chair without knocking someone's elbow. The hard, wooden chairs face each other and not the stage, so you have to twist yourself around to see the act. All the while, waiters are coming by to refill water, ask if you want to order any food/drinks and bring them if you do, and at last they present your bill to you while the guys are doing their encores. Sound-wise, it was OK, but the guys kept having to ask to have their monitors and mics adjusted. Still, it attracts some names - Emmylou Harris was just there and JD Souther is playing there in a couple months. Even Felder played there recently. It must appeal to them in some way.

The format of the show was thus: all three men came out and took turns playing; first Rusty played a song, then Craig Fuller, then Jack, then back to Rusty, then Craig, then Jack, etc. They each played five songs. The biggest hits Rusty played were "Crazy Love" and "Call It Love." A funny one he performed was called something like "I'm Not Neil Young's Brother." I didn't recognize any of Craig's songs although at the end I learned one enough to sort of sing along at the chorus, but I enjoyed his voice and playing. They each introduced their songs with little stories and like I said, Rusty was full of jokes! He played off the other two guys as well, involving them in the comedy.

The songs Jack played were:

Slow Dancing
    You Belong to the City (after which someone yelled "GOD BLESS GLENN FREY")
    One More Song
    Already Gone
    Peaceful Easy Feeling

Jack sounds and looks better than he did the last time I saw him perform a few years ago. His manager remembered me and I got to talk to Jack a bit afterwards. I got a photo with him (I'm not posting it; I don't like how I look in it) and he signed a T-shirt that I'd bought (he had already signed all my CDs the last time I saw him). I didn't bring up Glenn to Jack because honestly - what could I say? I just told him I enjoyed the show, along with a bit of small talk.

Rusty signed my Poco CD (I own Legacy). He was very nice as well. I think he has a new fan!

Jack said they might do this type of show again. They seemed to enjoy themselves and get along quite well. It was a bargain at $35. I recommend it.